none
Difference between VisualC#.NET and C#

Question

• Hello All,

Just a basic question. I am seeing several books called VisualC#.NET , C#, C#.NET

What is the actual difference between those?

What is the relation ship between C# and dotnet.

Please give me the concept?

Thanks,

John

Thursday, September 21, 2006 9:50 AM

All replies

• there really isnt any difference - its just termonology. C# is .NET based language. Visual C# would be I guess, the WinApps/Winforms application (Visual) developed in C#

C# is a .NET based/developed language - its a language used to develop on the .NET platform and is available through .NET framework

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetMVP Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:36 PM
    Thursday, September 21, 2006 9:54 AM
  • Hello Ahmed,

Thanks for the quick reply.

So I can refer to any books to get knowledge on C#.?

I am having  a book called VisualC# dot net. Will that do?

Thanks,

John

Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:07 AM
  • absolutely. You may find that the Visual C# would refer to mainly Winform applications, not Console (known as C# sometimes also) - it is sometimes a "loose" term, C#, Visual C#, C#.NET....My understanding to be more accurate is:

Visual C# - often refers to Winform applications or perhaps even ASP.NET applications

C# - the main language itself, either with Winforms or console apps

C#.NET - same as above

• Edited by Brent Serbus Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:09 PM html fix
    Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:13 AM

• Hi john, you may find that a C# text focus's more on the language it's self, not really looking at GUI design concepts to later chapters. While a book labeled Visual C# will focus more on the IDE features and development of visual application within the context of C#.

So really it's up to you which book to take, but if it was up to me I would pick up the Visual one (after first having a skim through it). The language dependent ones tend to go into detail more on variable types and general OOP design then using the language.

Most people I know that want to start a language just want to get their hand dirty as soon as possible.
    Thursday, September 21, 2006 12:51 PM
  •  

C# is a langauge.   It is not,  intrinsically, specific to any vendor or platform (provided garbage collection is available)

Micrsoft Visual C#.Net is one compiler for that language, one written by Microsoft for use creating .Net applications (Console, WinForm & WebForm)

Essentially, it's the difference between a "Car" and a "Ford Tarsus".

The one really caveat to that is the fact that Micrsoft Visual C#.Net is nearly the only implementation of a compile for C# (althought the Mono Project does have one), and it was designed by Microsoft for use with ,Net

Thursday, September 21, 2006 1:05 PM
  • "Essentially, it's the difference between a "Car" and a "Ford Tarsus"."

Yeah, C# is a language, whereas VC# is a product that implements the language (compiler as well as other dev goodies).

"
    The one really caveat to that is the fact that Micrsoft Visual C#.Net is nearly the only implementation of a compile for C# (althought the Mono Project does have one), and it was designed by Microsoft for use with ,Net"

An important caveat.   In reality, C# is what VC# implements.
    Friday, September 22, 2006 4:13 AM
  • Thanks to all for your valuable inputs.

What is the relation ship between C# , CLR and dot net framework. How dependent are those to one another?

What happens if  try to learn , code some samples with out dot net framework installed on the system? If not possible with dot net framework, then Why and what is the reason?

The reason for these questions are, I am trying to learn C# and I would like to have a clear concept on hand.

Any links which explains the clean concept on C# and Dot Net or how C# is associated with dot Net would be helpful for me to build the concept before jumping in to C# Learning.

Thanks in Advance

John

Friday, September 22, 2006 4:31 AM
  • C# runs on the .NET Framework. inside the .NET Framework there is a CLR - common language runtime where VB.NET/J#/C# code gets compiled down to so its under "one" language, in a sense. They are very dependant on each other. It's like a car, without the engine it can't run right? Same thing here :-)

If you learn code samples without having .NET Framework on your system - the only advantage being is you will have some knowledge/understanding however in order to run .NET Developed apps, you must have the correct version of the .NET Framework installed - with Windows Vista, .NET 3.0 will be shipped as standard and I believe XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 have .NET 1.1 installed

CLR:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/clr/about_clr.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/programming/videos/default.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/programming/clr/default.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetMVP Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:37 PM
    Friday, September 22, 2006 4:46 AM
  • Hello Ahmed,

Almost clear as crystal.

So,

To run a C# Code I should and must have .NET framework installed on my system. Am I right?

To run a C++ code I don't have to have .NET Framework on my System. Am I right?

Thanks,

John

Friday, September 22, 2006 6:30 AM
  • very correct :-)
    Friday, September 22, 2006 6:41 AM
  • Hello Ahmed & All,

One more question,

In real time what kind of projects (Application, S/W) can be developed using C# ? and Why?

In real time what kind of projects can be developed using C++? and Why?

Also can some one give link to C# Interview questions? Written and Oral? Hope the answers will open my eyes :-)

Thanks,

John

Saturday, September 23, 2006 1:32 PM
  • Hello Ahmed and All,

1. In real time ,what kind of projects (Application , S/W ) can be developled using C#? and Why?

2. In real time ,what kind of projects  can be developled using C++? and Why?

Does any one has the interview questions for C# ?Written and Oral? Hope the answers will open my eyes :-)

Thanks,

John

Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:07 PM
  • 1) any type almost! I guess it depends. for example ALOT of websites these days, especially these forums, are created in ASP.NET, most likely C# for code behind. There are many projects/solutions out there that are created on the .NET platform with either VB.NET, C# or a combination of both as code

Microsoft internally use C# and VB.NET (mainly C#) to develop other software, such as small tools or other projects.

Publically, Windows OneCare for example requires the .NET Framework, so therefore I believe that some of it is developed in .NET. the actual language itself, C#, is a user preference thing - the thing that really counts is the .NET Framework itself (core)

2) any software can be developed in C++. From OS's (Operating System) to any large scale projects.

As for interview questions - not as far as I know, try doing a search :-)

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetMVP Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:38 PM
    Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:33 PM
  • Hello Ahmed,

Thanks for the inputs.

Please let me know if found interview questions on C#

Thanks,

John

Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:30 PM
  • dotnet is a framework used to develop and executing distributed applications in any .net awared language.

and C# is a programming language that has been designed specifically to work with dotnet.

The reason for this is twofold-

First, C# was initially designed by Microsoft to create code for the .net framework.

Second, the libraries used by the C# are the ones defined by the .net framework.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:38 PM
  • i know it is too old topic but i got benefit from it

I have a small question related to the same topic

If I found a c# code can I use it in the class library ???

If yes what are the changes I have to make on the code to be suitable?

• Edited by Azhaar Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:23 AM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:23 AM
  • Hello,

Visual C# is actually referring to the C# editor hosted by Visual Studio (VS), VS supports many languages and to distinguish between the editor and language (I think) that Microsoft choose this convention.

Here are few of the editors that are titled by Microsoft Visual Java, Visual C++, Visual Basic and Visual F#

When referring to the compiler you will generally say "C# Compiler".

The .NET framework is language agnostic, meaning, you can write your own compiler for whatever language, even make one your own and the reason you can do it is because a compiler that you design to target the .NET framework will produce output that the run-time expects and it uses IL which stands for Intermediate Language.

So the relationship between C# and .NET is really nonexistence because if it was then it wasn't a language agnostic framework.

Eyal (http://shilony.net), Regards.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:37 AM
  • mmm still i did not get an answer to my question :-)

i mean class library of c#.net
    • Edited by Azhaar Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Pratiyush92 Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Pratiyush92 Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:42 AM
  • Hello All, Please Correct "if Wrong or Modify required"

I think, if you want to (C# Application) Assemble  PC(Known as IBM Compatible),

But, you have left with Main Option(Motherboard+CPU)

1. Intel (MS C#)              2. AMD (.Net based)

To Complete the project You Only Option for parts like be HDD, RAM, TFT etc  are same as .Net specification

Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:14 AM
  • Im not sure that even makes any sense. How old are the books you are reading? IBM compatible? AMD and INTEL are both x86 and you can write programs for either one. You could write a Linux app if you really were determined to. And throwing TFT in with hard drive and Ram is just silly.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Hello All, Please Correct "if Wrong or Modify required"

I think, if you want to (C# Application) Assemble  PC(Known as IBM Compatible),

But, you have left with Main Option(Motherboard+CPU)

1. Intel (MS C#)              2. AMD (.Net based)

To Complete the project You Only Option for parts like be HDD, RAM, TFT etc  are same as .Net specification

I'll be a bit harsh and say that this is just rubbish but you can comfort yourself because it's not the only bad post here.

Regards,

Eyal Shilony

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:51 PM