none
Microsoft Update KB2742597 Problem

Question

• I see in the report section after kb2742597 would not install that it looks like it is related to visual studio 7! Since I have a homemade program on C-drive that is from visual studio 6, I suspect that is the problem with the NET SP1.1 Update Installation. I see the green light on the A-drive go on and the installation error message right after (something about the PACKAGE not being right). This update is just out - Jan. 8, 2013. I think it may be an update design issue that did not consider anyone who may have a lower visual studio than 7! Any comments?

NDP1.1sp1-KB2742597-X86.exe is the download (update) that would not install.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 10:08 AM

Answers

• Ego Jiang: Thank you so much. I read the "Unable to Install Windows Update" document accessed through the Solutions click after clicking the "Failed" icon in Update History. I did not have a WUTEMP folder so I created an empty one if needed. The WindowsUpdate folder in Program Files was empty with no V4 folder in it! I had no IUCTL.dll files on C:\ but I found four IUEngine.dll files they said to delete. The files looked so important, however, that I did not want to delete them unless YOU agree they should be deleted:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

C:\WINDOWS\system32

All were iuengine.dll locations, all 2007, except the SPUninstall was 2008 (under Properties).

I am still confused about why Secunia no longer shows .NET 1.1 with kb2742597 to be a problem!

I read where someone said .NET 1.1 was OPTIONAL, but I also saw that someone else still had my problem after they deleted that update! Therefore, I have NOT deleted it and it does show up in my Add/Remove Program Files from Control Panel.

• Marked as answer by MichaelHinton Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:11 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Ego Jiang: If it becomes necessary to remove all Microsoft .NET to correct the problem see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982#method2 (related to error code 0x80070643 or 0x643) for .NET troubleshooting. This contains Msizap. I had 15 items to be installed after installing the three downloads shown in Method 2 and running Windows Update. Three did not install, but all went in on the second pass. The .NET Framework Setup Cleanup Utility is amazing!
    • Marked as answer by MichaelHinton Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:21 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:21 PM

All replies

• Please explain your Visual Studio version using standard terminology. Recent versions:

Visual Studio .NET 2003

Visual Studio 2005

Visual Studio 2008

Visual Studio 2010

Visual Studio 2012

Also, what is your Windows version and Service Pack level.

Please share your complete install logs as follows:

Collect your install logs with this:

http://aka.ms/vscollect

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

Please view the thread below which might solve this issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/windows-update-kb-2742597-has-repeatedly-failed-to/936a6420-c6e3-4ee9-a14d-1e1095bf6293

Here is the steps you can try:

Download Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 (dotnetfx.exe) via: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26

Download KB2742597 (NDP1.1sp1-KB2742597-X86.exe) via: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36281

Using the compression tool (WinRar, WinZip, etc) of your choice, extract the dotnetfx.exe file to an empty folder – when extracted this folder should contain the following five files: install.exe, InstMsi.exe, InstMsiW.exe, netfx.msi and netfx1.cab.

Run the NDP1.1sp1-KB2742597-X86.exe file which you downloaded.

Follow the installation prompts – when prompted to insert the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 CD, click browse and navigate to the folder containing the files extracted from dotnetfx.exe, select netfx.msi, click okay then continue with the installation.

This should, if you are having what I assume is a missing file(s) issue, lead to a successful update of KB2742597.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:23 AM
  • Ego Jiang: What you have said should work. I get the five items you spoke of and I used a saved version of the NDP1.1 file that I had downloaded previously. I used several sources for that file, but it is not behaving as you described. I do not get an installation prompt as you described. I get a green light on my A-drive with a Windows Installer (4.5) message saying, "This patch package could not be opened..." Should I put the five files on an A-drive floppy? It seems to want to read the A-drive for some reason and not provide a "Browse" point! Any ideas would be helpful because I know others have found your method to work. By the way, my mother's computer only had Windows Installer 3.01 and contained the same Visual Studio 6 program I have on my computer, but her kb2742597 update installed with no problem!
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:58 AM
  • The five files are too big for a floppy drive. I put them on a CD-RW and they took up about 23 MB. I checked my setup and the CD should be the priority boot if present. Still the NDP1.1 file goes for the A-drive for some reason. I guess I really need to see the "Browse" Instruction Step somehow, but I don't know how to make that happen without further help.
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Please review my comment to Ego Jiang. The Visual Studio 6 concern has gone away at this point.
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:18 PM
  • I just ran the dotnetfx.exe using RUN straight from the ENGLISH Download Center. It downloads fine then begins the Install, but the A-drive green light activates and the following message is given:

This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it [I have Administrative Status exclusively], or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.

I see others have had good results running dotnetfx.exe first, but I get the same message regardless of which one I run first!

Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:19 PM
  • Ego Jiang: I ran the kb2742597 again on 01-10-13 and I saw the error message 0x80070002. I followed the instructions for that error message (Download Folder Method 2) and created a new Download Folder using rename.bat as described. I ran the update again with the same problem! A-drive green light, then the "package" problem message. Interestingly, after installing all the other .NET updates, Secunia is no longer having a problem with kb2742597! I forgot to mention that my mother's Dell has XP Pro, while my HP has XP home edition. This is the only time I have ever had problems with an INSTALLATION (other times it has been download problems that I have fixed myself)! Since Update is intense over hidden updates I really want this fixed.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:07 AM
  • Ego Jiang: I ran rename.bat again to clear the Downloads Folder. I used Firefox to copy the download locations to a second Firefox and downloaded both files you suggested to Downloads, re-installed the five files to an empty folder, then ran again as you described. I got the same problem again. The Installation Prompt never happens!
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

I will involve some experts into this issue to see whether they can help you out. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 14, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Ego Jiang: Thank you so much. I read the "Unable to Install Windows Update" document accessed through the Solutions click after clicking the "Failed" icon in Update History. I did not have a WUTEMP folder so I created an empty one if needed. The WindowsUpdate folder in Program Files was empty with no V4 folder in it! I had no IUCTL.dll files on C:\ but I found four IUEngine.dll files they said to delete. The files looked so important, however, that I did not want to delete them unless YOU agree they should be deleted:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

C:\WINDOWS\system32

All were iuengine.dll locations, all 2007, except the SPUninstall was 2008 (under Properties).

I am still confused about why Secunia no longer shows .NET 1.1 with kb2742597 to be a problem!

I read where someone said .NET 1.1 was OPTIONAL, but I also saw that someone else still had my problem after they deleted that update! Therefore, I have NOT deleted it and it does show up in my Add/Remove Program Files from Control Panel.

• Marked as answer by MichaelHinton Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:11 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Ego Jiang: If it becomes necessary to remove all Microsoft .NET to correct the problem see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982#method2 (related to error code 0x80070643 or 0x643) for .NET troubleshooting. This contains Msizap. I had 15 items to be installed after installing the three downloads shown in Method 2 and running Windows Update. Three did not install, but all went in on the second pass. The .NET Framework Setup Cleanup Utility is amazing!
    • Marked as answer by MichaelHinton Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:21 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:21 PM