none
Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close

Frage

• I have a new computer running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and the only software that I have installed so far is Visual Studio 2008 and 2010.  2008 works fine, but I can't do anything in 2010 without resulting in a crash - it's completely unstable.

Windows 7 is up to date and I originally installed Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 but this did not help.   I attempted to 'repair' both the service pack and the 2010 installation and this did not help either. 

Next, I completely uninstalled both the service pack and Visual Studio 2010 and then re-installed Visual Studio.  It still crashes on just about any action I try to take.

I have seen dozens of reports of this same issue and have tried many of the suggested fixes but without success.

'

Montag, 20. Dezember 2010 13:36

Alle Antworten

• Hi Cool Reflection, 

Welcome to the MSDN Forum!

Frankly speaking, for VS IDE crash issue, there would be many causes for it to happen. Could you please help me to check the following steps to deal with the crash?

Please try some common workarounds mentioned below to handle crash issue:

1. Try running devenv /Safemode in Command Prompt to see if you can apply it correctly.
    2. Reboot the machine into Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference.
    3. Switch to try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

One useful tool is the Process Monitor tool http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx which can capture the access log.
    Filter on the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
    This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the crash happens.

You also can try to use some tool like Procdump to get the dump file of the crash. Then you can report your issue with dump file to MSDN feedback site: http://connect.microsoft.com.
    Or you can use Windbg Tool to analyze dump file.
    Please see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msdnts/archive/2006/11/24/how-to-debug-application-crash-hang-in-production-environment.aspx

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Andrew Wu

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Mittwoch, 22. Dezember 2010 03:21
  • Hi Cool Reflection,

I’m posting to follow up this thread.

Have your question been solved? Is there any updates of your issue?

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Montag, 27. Dezember 2010 07:47
  • Hello Andrew,

I monitored this thread for a while and stopped when I left for the holidays.  The issue has not been resolved yet but I will try your suggestions.

Note again that I have seen this issue posted many times - even on MSDN - and some people have been able to fix it with the suggestions and some haven't.  Isn't there a definitive answer as to what causes it?

Rick (Cool Reflection)

Montag, 3. Januar 2011 15:36
  • Here is a partial status of the steps you have suggested:

(1) Try "devenv /Safemode" - same problem: "Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close"

(2) Boot Windows 7 into safe mode - did not help either.

(3) Switch to a different user account - tried "Guest" which had not been used yet and still crashes.

(4) Process Monitor tool showed mostly SUCCESS, but several "BUFFER OVERRUN" errors.

(5) procdump - Almost impossible to use (since it's a command line app) and just as difficult to understand what I am supposed to do with it.  What options should I use?

(6) Windbg - still downloading.

Montag, 3. Januar 2011 17:38
  • Hi Rick (Cool Reflection),

Welcome back to the MSDN Forum. How is your holiday?

As I said in the last post, it could be many reasons that caused VS crash. It could be very difficult to make a definitive answer as you wish.

In my last post, I suggested you to try some common workarounds. Seems it does not work. To find the cause of your scenario, would you please to help answer following points:

1.       While you said “it's completely unstable” but “resulting in a crash”, would you please describe it in details:

·         Does Visual Studio 2010 be installed successfully?

·         What is the sequence when you installing Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010, which one first?

·         When does this error happens, is it during VS staring, or during development? What language are you using at that time?

·         Is there an error message or any unusual appearance?

2.      The Process Monitor shows some “BUFFER OVERRUN” error, is there any details the error shows?

You can try below suggestions:

·         The “BUFFER OVERRUN” error usually cause by physical memory errors or limitations, you can check your Virtual memory settings(Right-click Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Performance -> Settings -> Advanced tab), and your physical memory.

·         If you install Visual Studio 2010 before Visual Studio 2008, you have to repair .NET Framework 4.0  after installation(The right sequence is Visual Studio 2008 -> Visual Studio 2010) .

·         Try to install Visual 2008 and Visual Studio 2010 in another machine, is this problem still exist?

·         Try to  uninstall both Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010 (all components), and reinstall them. (Visual Studio 2008 -> Visual Studio 2010)

If there is any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Dienstag, 4. Januar 2011 10:25
  • Hello,

I know it's been awhile, but if you're still having trouble or someone else is reading this, I have a similar machine, version, and error. I found it to be the presence of an InstallShield LE project in the solution. Getting rid of it solved the problem.

I've had better success using InstallShield LE in it's own solution, which is a pain, but less so than Visual Studio constantly crashing.

Freitag, 4. März 2011 04:27
  • Yes, me too, Tbitsky.

InstallShield 2011 LE causes Visual Studio 2010 to crash.   All the time, without fail.  Do not use it! 

What a waste of time it was to register it, download it, install it, and try to use it...

Rob
    Dienstag, 8. März 2011 17:22
  • InstallShield 2011 LE is causing Visual Studio 2010 to crash. Have to unload install shield project to continue working.

Initial symptoms are VS crashing when clicking the text on an open file in the IDE.

If files from other projects are open and the IS project is loaded when exiting VS, it will crash next time the solution is loaded. Have to delete user preferences from solution and projects to continue working.

Simply disasterous! Workaround is to only use IS project in its own VS solution with no other projects.

Dienstag, 29. März 2011 03:05
  • I'm having a similar issue and was wondering if you could help me. 

I can run VS 2010 with the computer in safe mode but when I run it normally it gives the error that is the title of this thread.

Any ideas?

Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2012 18:48
  • I've also identified InstallShield LE 2012 recent update as the cause of Visual Studio 2010 crashes (in MSVBVM60.DLL).

I have a solution which contains a C++/MFC project and a ISLE project. Everytime I open a header file, Visual Studio 2010 crashes. If I unload the setup project, VS doesn't crash. This happens since a recent update of ISLE.

There is a bug (as well as a minidump) in connect about this problem https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/725322/visual-studio-2010-crash-when-header-files-are-opened

I've spent quite a lot of time to figure out why VS2010 was crashing. Now I won't use InstallShield LE anymore. It is very limited, and really buggy.

Donnerstag, 23. Februar 2012 00:32
  • Thanks a lot for pointing at the InstallShield problem. I removed the InstallShield project from my solution and now I'm even able to open .h-files without crashing VS2010! Fantastic!
    Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 19:48
  • Any news on this problem. 

I have a mixed solution containing Unmanaged C++ and C# and since today, my solution crashes as soon as i click into a opened file or try to open one. Removing the install shield project solves the problem sometimes. But most of the time i have to delete the .suo as well.

I think it's to do with the updates KB954430 and/or KB973688 since this is the only i guess  is related to VS. 

Any idea how to solve it besides uninstalling the updates?

Cheers,

Marco

Freitag, 20. April 2012 15:14
  • I'm frustrated with the support of installalation from Microsoft.  They are dropping their install for Installshield LE, which does not work... ???? Maybe it will be fixed in VS 11.

Ed Warren Raising sails on masts not masts on sails

Sonntag, 22. April 2012 02:52
  • InstallShield Professional 2012 Limited Edition has been released and is downloadable via the New Project->Other Project Types->Setup and Deployment->Setup and Deployment->Enable InstallShield Limited Edition template.  This will launch an .htm page which will link you to the InstallShield download

Please install this new version, we worked very closely with the Flexera team to resolve integration issues between our products.  I am very pleased with the results.  Let me know if you continue to experience issues with InstallShield in your solution.

Mittwoch, 12. September 2012 21:27
  • Hi,

i occurance bthis issue now, but as part of you wrote above, the issue caused due to the InstallShield. what exactlly i supposed to do with this knowledge?, and please mension how to do it.

tnx you all ☺

Mittwoch, 19. Februar 2014 08:32