none
Create New Team Project By Using The Source Branch Of Existing Team Project

Frage

• Hi,

I am in a process of migration of TFS server 2008 to 2010, and after migration i have a requirement of changing the process template for the existing team project(say OldTeamProject in OldProjectCollection), so i thought of creating new team project(say NewTeamProject in NewProjectCollection) and i would branch from the existing team project.

so now i need to create NewTeamProject in NewProjectCollection and use the source branch of OldTeamProject in OldProjectCollection.

But when i have created NewProjectCollection and try to create NewTeamProject the option to select the branch from existing project is disabled.

Please help.. Thanks in advance..
    Dienstag, 6. März 2012 08:16

Antworten

• Hi,

If you are trying to create a new Team Project in NewProjectCollection and use a source code (branch from) from another Collection that will not work.

You can use only sources from the same collection where you are creating a new Team Project.

In the New Team Project Wizard you should be able to see a drop down list of all available Team Project within the current collection where you are creating a new Team Project.

What you can do is:
    - stay with the upgraded collection
    - import new Process Templates (Agile, CMMI, Scrum,...)
    - Optional: modify new Process Templates
    - Create new Team Project based on the new Process Template and use the branch option which should now be available

Or:
    - create a new Collection
    - migrate your sources and work items with the TFS Integration Platform: http://tfsintegration.codeplex.com/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. --- Success, Damir

• Bearbeitet Damir Varga Dienstag, 6. März 2012 10:21
    • Als Antwort markiert lvskrishna Mittwoch, 14. März 2012 05:46
    Dienstag, 6. März 2012 10:12
  • Hi Ivskrishna,

Thank you for your post.

According to your description of the issue, I suppose you want to change the exting team project's template, so you choose to create new TPC and new team project by creating a new source control branch from existing team project. If I have misunderstood anything, please free feel to let me know.

1. Change process template, you will lose all existing work items in OldTeamProject.

2. Why the Create NewTeamProject option is disabled?

"Create NewTeamProject Branch from" option is available for team projects within the same team project collection.

For this issue, you create a new team project collection and a new team proejct, there is just one team project, no other available team projects in this TPC, so the option is disabled.

I hope this information will help resolve this issue.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Mittwoch, 7. März 2012 07:27

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

I am in a process of migration of TFS server 2008 to 2010, and after migration i have a requirement of changing the process template for the existing team project(say OldTeamProject in OldProjectCollection), so i thought of creating new team project(say NewTeamProject in NewProjectCollection) and i would branch from the existing team project.

so now i need to create NewTeamProject in NewProjectCollection and use the source branch of OldTeamProject in OldProjectCollection.

But when i have created NewProjectCollection and try to create NewTeamProject the option to select the branch from existing project is disabled.

Please help.. Thanks in advance..
    Dienstag, 6. März 2012 08:22
  • Hi,

If you are trying to branch from one Collection to another that is not supported. You can branch only within the collection itself.

Dienstag, 6. März 2012 09:54
  • Hi,

If you are trying to create a new Team Project in NewProjectCollection and use a source code (branch from) from another Collection that will not work.

You can use only sources from the same collection where you are creating a new Team Project.

In the New Team Project Wizard you should be able to see a drop down list of all available Team Project within the current collection where you are creating a new Team Project.

What you can do is:
    - stay with the upgraded collection
    - import new Process Templates (Agile, CMMI, Scrum,...)
    - Optional: modify new Process Templates
    - Create new Team Project based on the new Process Template and use the branch option which should now be available

Or:
    - create a new Collection
    - migrate your sources and work items with the TFS Integration Platform: http://tfsintegration.codeplex.com/

• Bearbeitet Damir Varga Dienstag, 6. März 2012 10:21
    • Als Antwort markiert lvskrishna Mittwoch, 14. März 2012 05:46
    Dienstag, 6. März 2012 10:12
  • Hi Ivskrishna,

Thank you for your post.

Based on this case is as same as this one, I merge them together, it will be very beneficial for other community members having the similar questions.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Mittwoch, 7. März 2012 04:52
  • Hi Ivskrishna,

Thank you for your post.

According to your description of the issue, I suppose you want to change the exting team project's template, so you choose to create new TPC and new team project by creating a new source control branch from existing team project. If I have misunderstood anything, please free feel to let me know.

1. Change process template, you will lose all existing work items in OldTeamProject.

2. Why the Create NewTeamProject option is disabled?

"Create NewTeamProject Branch from" option is available for team projects within the same team project collection.

For this issue, you create a new team project collection and a new team proejct, there is just one team project, no other available team projects in this TPC, so the option is disabled.

I hope this information will help resolve this issue.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Mittwoch, 7. März 2012 07:27
  • Hi Damir,

I went with the second option created the new collection and migrated the projects but used the team project collection split process.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd936158.aspx

thanks for the help..

• Bearbeitet lvskrishna Mittwoch, 14. März 2012 05:51
    Mittwoch, 14. März 2012 05:49