none
Taskkill /f doesnt kill a process

Dotaz

• When I start up an Experimental instance of VS from VS for debugging and stop debugging (sometimes directly from the parent VS), a zombile devenv.exe process remains running which I am unable to kill. It holds on to many of my dlls.

As I am logged onto this 64bit Win7 machine as Administrator, I would expect to be able to kill any process I wish to.

I tried (from Administrator command prompt):

End Task from Task Manager.
    TASKKILL /F /IM devenv.exe
    PSKILL devenv.exe

None return any error and TASKKILL and PSKILL returned success messages of terminating/killing the process. But devenv.exe still runs, it is not re-spawned as the PID remains constant. It goes away only on restart of the system which is not a great solution.

Note. LockHunter shows devenv has got a lock on itself. And it cannot unlock it.

Any ideas how to kill such a process on Windows?

P.S. I also have this question on stackoverflow. Click here to see it.
    24. září 2012 14:16

Všechny reakce

• Hi Dushyant,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Based on your description, I’m afraid that it is not the correct forum for this issue, since this forum is to discuss the VS debugger tool.

It seems that this issue is related to the Taskkill, like this document, it is related to the windows. If so, I suggest you post this issue in the windows forum like this thread “Taskkill problem”. You could also post this issue in Where is the Forum For…? Forum, The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum. Thanks for your understanding

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

25. září 2012 7:38