none
Unable to update active WIT file

Dotaz

•  

Using TFS 2008 and VS2010 Premium.  I have necessary Admin rights.  I'm trying to make changes to Bug Item template.  I've downloaded default template (Agile Software Development with Scrum - v2.2.14165.003) using VS-- Team | Team Projects Collection Settings | Process Template Manager.  I can then manipulate it via Tools | Process Editor | Process Templates | Open Process Template.  However... that's NOT the template I see when I simply create a new bug (New Work Item | Bug).  It's missing a number of things we actually see when creating a new bug.  I am therefore ASSuming this isn't the correct template... but it's the default, and it's definitely not the other 2 stock templates in the system.

So...

I tried using exportwitd.  That gave me an XML file that I subsequently opened in VS.  This DOES look the same as when we simply open a new bug item.  So, I'm ASSuming this is the correct template.  

To test, I made a trivial change to the Label of a field.  It's Reference Name is "Conchango.TeamSystem.Scrum.SeverityImpact".  I simply changed its friendly name from "Severity / Impact" to "Severity."  I then flipped to the Layout tab and changed the Layout item's friendly name to "Severity."  No other changes.

I then saved my work, which created bug.wit.  Then, I tried validation only upload using importwitd using the following commands-- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE>witadmin importwitd /f:c:\users\me\desktop\bug.wit /collection:http://actual-server-name:8080 /p:Projectname /v > errors.txt

Resulting errors from redirect above are--

TF212017: Work item tracking schema validation warning: Could not find schema information for the element 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/dsltools/WITDesigner:workItemType'.

TF212017: Work item tracking schema validation warning: Could not find schema information for the attribute 'dslVersion'.

TF212017: Work item tracking schema validation warning: Could not find schema information for the attribute 'Name'.

TF212017: Work item tracking schema validation warning: Could not find schema information for the attribute 'source'.

TF26184: The default namespace is unrecognized. It must be either empty or set

to 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/2008/workitemtracking/typedef',

but it is set to ''.

Operation failed.

I am NOT a programmer, but I can plink my way around fairly well nonetheless (I maybe one of those dangerous types who knows just enough to break something).  

Why doesn't downloading the default template net me the ACTUAL working template? And why can I export the wit that DOES appear to be the actual working template, but I can't import it back after a single trivial "text string" change?

Can anyone help?  My ultimate goal is to add a new field (this is something I'm capable of)... but it's meaningless if I can't get anything into TFS when I'm done.

18. října 2011 0:00

Odpovědi

• I definitely have VS2010 and Power Tools 2010 installed on the client.  The TFS that doesn't let me edit as previously described is 2008, however.  When all 3 are 2010, it works.

Unfortunately, I am not able to create a test Collection on the TFS2008 server (I physically can, but I have been instructed not to, as it is a heavily used production system), so I cannot confirm my supposition that the Collection name is at issue.

I found a user who is running VS2008/PT2008 (again, against the same TFS2008), who was able to verify and upload it against the server using importwitd.  This now leads me to believe that, not only does VS and Power Tools have to be the same version (ie VS2010 and PT2010), but ALSO TFS may have to be the same version.  I have not found any documentation or discussion on this, however... just on the need for VS and PT to be same.  

21. října 2011 0:09
  • Hi Labboypro,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you are right, to edit the WIT, we should keep the VS and TFS Power Tools’ version same with TFS.

I did a test on my client which installed VS 2010(TFS Power Tools 2011), launch VS 2010>>Tool>>Process Editor>>Work Item Types>>Open WIT from Server, I selected a TFS 2008 server in the dialog, then click Connect button to connect TFS 2008 server, but received the same error message with you: Object reference not…   

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Označen jako odpověď labboypro 24. října 2011 17:53
    21. října 2011 2:16
    Moderátor

Všechny reakce

• Hi labboypro,

I must confess, i love the way you have framed your question. I hope I can help,

- Can you not directly open the work item type from the server rather than exporting the process template currently applied to the server?

By using open wi from server you will get access to the xml of work item type currently active on the server,

- You can then add the new field and click save which updates the definition on the server (saves you from importing the changes to the server).

In case i miss understood the question or missed any details please feel free to correct me.

PS - Since you have the power tools already installed, you will amazed to see the amount of documentation available for the process template editor at the following location "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010 Power Tools\Help\ProcessEditor.mht"

HTH
    Cheers, Tarun 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tarun Arora

Blog: http://geekswithblogs.net/TarunArora  Subscribe in a reader

18. října 2011 20:42
  • Thanks for the response!  I would LOVE to manipulate the WIT directly as you suggest, but doing so gives me the following error--

On a TFS2010 instance that's under test I have access to, I am able to edit the WIT directly on server.  I have same permissions on both systems (TFS 2008 from my original post and TFS2010 mentioned here).

As for the detailed documentation, thanks very much for the link!  While I have perused some of the material, I didn't want to dive in too deep until I could do something so simple as what I'm currently trying to do.

18. října 2011 21:08
  • Could the problems lie in the naming of the Collection on the server?  Current server name is "xyz-usa-tfs" (no quotes), and collection name is "(xyz-usa-tfs)" (also, no quotes, but DOES include the parens).  On the TFS2010 instance, the Collection name is simply "DefaultCollection," which I can edit WIT from server.  The previously posted error screenshot comes from attempts to connect to the "(xyz-usa-tfs)" Collection on TFS2008.

I sure wish this wasn't so difficult :(

18. října 2011 23:24
  • Hi labboypro,

Thanks for your post.

Can you ensure that this issue only relate to the different name of Team Project Collection? On the same client, use the same VS and TFS Power Tools can edit WIT which under the DefaultCollection, but can’t edit the WIT which under xyz-usa-tfs?

What’s the “attempts to connect to the xyz-usa-tfs collection on TFS 2008” mean? 

What’s version of VS and Power Tools on that client? Can you connect xyz-usa-tfs collection using that VS correctly, and other features work fine, except the edit WIT issue?

If you installed VS 2010 on the client, you should install TFS Power Tools 2010 on this client.  And if you installed VS 2008 on a client, you should install TFS Power Tools 2008 on this client.   

If you have any further research of this issue, please share your experience here.     

To connect to TFS 2010 using VS2008, we need to install the below components in mentioned order. The Installation order is really important to make it work.

Install Visual Studio 2008
             Install
    Team Explorer 2008
             Install Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (This will upgrade both VS2008 and Team Explorer 2008 to SP1)
             Install
    VSTS 2008 Forward Compatibility Update

As TFS2010 introduces the notion of Team Project Collections. After the installation is completed successfully, you should provide the entire URL to connect TFS2010 server.  

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

20. října 2011 12:10
    Moderátor
  • I definitely have VS2010 and Power Tools 2010 installed on the client.  The TFS that doesn't let me edit as previously described is 2008, however.  When all 3 are 2010, it works.

Unfortunately, I am not able to create a test Collection on the TFS2008 server (I physically can, but I have been instructed not to, as it is a heavily used production system), so I cannot confirm my supposition that the Collection name is at issue.

I found a user who is running VS2008/PT2008 (again, against the same TFS2008), who was able to verify and upload it against the server using importwitd.  This now leads me to believe that, not only does VS and Power Tools have to be the same version (ie VS2010 and PT2010), but ALSO TFS may have to be the same version.  I have not found any documentation or discussion on this, however... just on the need for VS and PT to be same.  

21. října 2011 0:09
  • Hi Labboypro,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you are right, to edit the WIT, we should keep the VS and TFS Power Tools’ version same with TFS.

I did a test on my client which installed VS 2010(TFS Power Tools 2011), launch VS 2010>>Tool>>Process Editor>>Work Item Types>>Open WIT from Server, I selected a TFS 2008 server in the dialog, then click Connect button to connect TFS 2008 server, but received the same error message with you: Object reference not…   

John Qiao [MSFT]

• Označen jako odpověď labboypro 24. října 2011 17:53
    21. října 2011 2:16
    Moderátor
  • Thanks very much for verifying on your end!  I believe this is indeed the source of the problem...

and... (this is my rant at MSFT), it's VERY disappointing that such a far reaching (and expensive) toolset as VS/TFS isn't even backward compatible with itself.  I have $14k in licensing on my desktop in the form of VS2010, and I can't even use it for this seemingly most basic activity because TFS isn't 2010 version.  Am I supposed to go buy another ($14k) license for VS 2008, and take up space on my system with 2 installs of the product so I can upload templates? That's shameful.

24. října 2011 17:59
  • I am having the same issue, but I have 9 projects that need to be updated. I wrote a powershell script to do the import. Do you know what causes the validation error? It seems like if I make any kind of change to the wit it throws this validation error.
    28. května 2013 14:32
  • Just a silly thing to check, make sure you're not trying to load the .wit file only the xml file works that will cause this type of error.
    26. března 2014 23:19