How to create a bootable USB flash disk for the Windows Developer Preview Edition?

Soru

• How to create a bootable USB flash disk for the Windows Developer Preview Edition?
    19 Eylül 2011 Pazartesi 20:27
    Moderatör

Yanıtlar

• The Windows Developer Preview is delivered as an .ISO image that must be converted into installation media stored on a DVD or USB.  (More information about downloading the .ISO image can be found at the download site:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516 )

Prerequisites:
    These steps have been tested on Windows 7, but should work on Vista and Server 2008 and 2008 R2.
    You must be an administrator because you will use the DISKPART utility.

Step 1: Make a bootable USB flash drive using DISKPART.

Insert the USB flash drive that you want to use for the image.  Please note that the USB flash drive will require at least 5.5 GB of disc space for the “Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)”.  The two Windows Developer Preview downloads that do not include developer tools will fit on a standard 4 GB USB flash drive.

Run CMD.EXE as an administrator, then run DISKPART with the following commands (not case-sensitive):

Command                     What it does

-------                     ------------------------------------------------

LIST DISK                   Shows all mounted disks.  Find your USB flash

drive in this list.  You will need the disk #

for the next step. 

SELECT DISK n               Selects the disk that future commands will use.

Replace "n" with the disk # for your USB flash drive.

NOTE:  Be careful that you don’t select your

hard disk!  The next command will wipe the

selected drive clean.

CLEAN                       Erases all previous partition & volume information

on the flash drive.

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY    Partitions the flash drive as one partition for the

whole drive.

SELECT PARTITION 1          Selects the new partition so future commands

will operate on it.

ACTIVE                      Marks the new partition as active so the

BIOS/UEFI can boot to it.

FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK        Formats the partition with NTFS.  Do not format

the USB flash drive with FAT32 because it will

not work (more explanation below).

ASSIGN                      Assigns a drive letter to the flash drive.

EXIT                        Exits DISKPART

At this point your USB drive is formatted.  DO NOT format the drive with Windows Explorer or format.com; you will not be able to boot from it.

Note:  the USB flash drive must be formatted with NTFS because the Windows Developer Preview with Developer Tools images have installation files that are larger than 4GB and the maximum supported file size on FAT32 is 4GB.   Also note that Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool doesn’t properly  transfer the Windows Developer Preview ISO to a USB flash drive. 

Step 2:  Open the .ISO file and save the contents to the USB flash drive. 

This can be done in multiple ways:

1.       Burn the .ISO to a DVD and then copy the contents to the USB Flash drive. 

2.       Use a program that can extract files from a .ISO (like WinZip 14.5 or later) to your hard disk or the USB flash.

Note:

·         If you copy the files to a temporary directory on your hard disk, you can use XCOPY or ROBOCOPY, both of which are available in Windows 7.

robocopy <source directory> <usb flash drive root directory> /mir

Example:  robocopy d:\Win8Files e:\ /mir

xcopy <source directory>\*.* /E/Q/H <usb flash drive root directory>

Example: xcopy d:\ Win8Files\*.* /E/Q/H e:\

Step 3:  Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from USB

Insert the USB and reboot; setup should begin running.

Alternatively, if you have an existing operating system, you can insert the USB, navigate to the \sources directory, and run setup.exe.  You may need to do this if your machine can’t boot from USB or the machine hangs while loading setup.
    Steven

19 Eylül 2011 Pazartesi 20:28
    Moderatör

Tüm Yanıtlar

• The Windows Developer Preview is delivered as an .ISO image that must be converted into installation media stored on a DVD or USB.  (More information about downloading the .ISO image can be found at the download site:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516 )

Prerequisites:
    These steps have been tested on Windows 7, but should work on Vista and Server 2008 and 2008 R2.
    You must be an administrator because you will use the DISKPART utility.

Step 1: Make a bootable USB flash drive using DISKPART.

Insert the USB flash drive that you want to use for the image.  Please note that the USB flash drive will require at least 5.5 GB of disc space for the “Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)”.  The two Windows Developer Preview downloads that do not include developer tools will fit on a standard 4 GB USB flash drive.

Run CMD.EXE as an administrator, then run DISKPART with the following commands (not case-sensitive):

Command                     What it does

-------                     ------------------------------------------------

LIST DISK                   Shows all mounted disks.  Find your USB flash

drive in this list.  You will need the disk #

for the next step. 

SELECT DISK n               Selects the disk that future commands will use.

Replace "n" with the disk # for your USB flash drive.

NOTE:  Be careful that you don’t select your

hard disk!  The next command will wipe the

selected drive clean.

CLEAN                       Erases all previous partition & volume information

on the flash drive.

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY    Partitions the flash drive as one partition for the

whole drive.

SELECT PARTITION 1          Selects the new partition so future commands

will operate on it.

ACTIVE                      Marks the new partition as active so the

BIOS/UEFI can boot to it.

FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK        Formats the partition with NTFS.  Do not format

the USB flash drive with FAT32 because it will

not work (more explanation below).

ASSIGN                      Assigns a drive letter to the flash drive.

EXIT                        Exits DISKPART

At this point your USB drive is formatted.  DO NOT format the drive with Windows Explorer or format.com; you will not be able to boot from it.

Note:  the USB flash drive must be formatted with NTFS because the Windows Developer Preview with Developer Tools images have installation files that are larger than 4GB and the maximum supported file size on FAT32 is 4GB.   Also note that Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool doesn’t properly  transfer the Windows Developer Preview ISO to a USB flash drive. 

Step 2:  Open the .ISO file and save the contents to the USB flash drive. 

This can be done in multiple ways:

1.       Burn the .ISO to a DVD and then copy the contents to the USB Flash drive. 

2.       Use a program that can extract files from a .ISO (like WinZip 14.5 or later) to your hard disk or the USB flash.

Note:

·         If you copy the files to a temporary directory on your hard disk, you can use XCOPY or ROBOCOPY, both of which are available in Windows 7.

robocopy <source directory> <usb flash drive root directory> /mir

Example:  robocopy d:\Win8Files e:\ /mir

xcopy <source directory>\*.* /E/Q/H <usb flash drive root directory>

Example: xcopy d:\ Win8Files\*.* /E/Q/H e:\

Step 3:  Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from USB

Insert the USB and reboot; setup should begin running.

Alternatively, if you have an existing operating system, you can insert the USB, navigate to the \sources directory, and run setup.exe.  You may need to do this if your machine can’t boot from USB or the machine hangs while loading setup.
    Steven

19 Eylül 2011 Pazartesi 20:28
    Moderatör
  • You can just use http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool it works fine for me and lot of others.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    • Düzenleyen CaptainMVP 20 Eylül 2011 Salı 01:42
    • Yanıt Olarak Öneren Rob Pearse 22 Eylül 2011 Perşembe 10:05
    20 Eylül 2011 Salı 01:41
  • I was just about to reply the same thing. Thanks Stephen
    20 Eylül 2011 Salı 07:25
  • Hi Steven! If only you had this posted a couple of days before!

By the way, this way though using DISKPART and copying the ISO content did not work for me. I described it in this thread. Could you please comment on that?

Finally I used the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool that worked fine and did what I needed. Still it would be nice to hear why your approach did not work in my case. Possibly I missed something? I would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    20 Eylül 2011 Salı 10:34
  • Sometimes it depends on how you copy it, because sometimes permissions don't copy over correctly.  Or it could have been a read error and just an unfortunate coincidence.  That's happened to me with a cheapo thumb drive.
    21 Eylül 2011 Çarşamba 07:02
  • Sometimes it depends on how you copy it, because sometimes permissions don't copy over correctly.  Or it could have been a read error and just an unfortunate coincidence.  That's happened to me with a cheapo thumb drive.
    Totally wasn't my case. The ISO 9660 does not support permissions, the newly created NTFS should apply its defaults. I tried the suggested method several times to no avail. (I made several attempts because I used this method myself 4 years ago when I've been messing with Windows Server 2008 R2 and it worked for me then).
    21 Eylül 2011 Çarşamba 09:22
  • Has anyone been able to get this to work with the Samsung tablet device passed out at BUILD?  I've tried the Windows 7 boot tool and these instructions with several sticks and when I select the Boot to USB option from the BIOS all I get is "No bootable image found."  If you've been able to USB boot the Samsung tablet, please share how you set up your USB drive.
    21 Eylül 2011 Çarşamba 14:52
  • How to create a bootable USB flash disk for the Windows Developer Preview Edition?

Get yourself a copy of Virtual CloneDrive by SlySoft (Free) to mount the ISO:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

On a Windows 7 machine plug in the USB flash drive (8GB or higher + at least 20MB/Second read) in question.

1. Open an elevated command prompt (assume ENTER after each line).
    2. diskpart
    3. list disk
    4. select disk 3 (your USB)
    5. clean
    6. create partition primary
    7. select partition 1
    8. format fs=ntfs quick label="Windows8"
    9. active
    10. assign
    11. Open an Explorer window when prompted.
    12. exit

Mount the ISO using Virtual CloneDrive.

Open the mounted ISO in Windows Explorer and Select All. Paste the content onto the USB drive.

Plug it into the OS recipient and boot from the USB drive.

Good to go.

Philip Elder SBS MVP Blog: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca
    21 Eylül 2011 Çarşamba 21:00
  • Hi Philip,

Did not work for me... Disk error after you copy setup files. When there are no setup files it all looks okay, because in this case you get "boot manager is missing". Any clues?

22 Eylül 2011 Perşembe 04:47
  • Hi Philip,

Did not work for me... Disk error after you copy setup files. When there are no setup files it all looks okay, because in this case you get "boot manager is missing". Any clues?

I must admit that to date we have never had a problem with running the above setup for Windows 7, Server 2008 R2, SBS 2011, Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 RTM/SP1, and others.

Make sure your Windows Explorer is set to show Hidden Files. You may be missing a few when copy and pasting onto the USB flash drive.

I will test with Windows 8 in the AM.

22 Eylül 2011 Perşembe 04:50
  • I must admit that to date we have never had a problem with running the above setup for Windows 7, Server 2008 R2, SBS 2011, Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 RTM/SP1, and others.

Make sure your Windows Explorer is set to show Hidden Files. You may be missing a few when copy and pasting onto the USB flash drive.

That also came as a surprise to me because I am used to create UFDs this way since at least M3 of Windows Server 2008 R2.

I used Windows Explorer for the first time and xcopy /S /E /F for the second. Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool was the only solution that worked.

May that be because I first formatted my USB flash with align=32? (Very strange because the other time I re-formatted it with full formatting).

22 Eylül 2011 Perşembe 10:52
  • Hi Philip,

I must admit that to date we have never had a problem with running the above setup for Windows 7, Server 2008 R2, SBS 2011, Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 RTM/SP1, and others.

Just finished loading Windows 8 Dev Preview x64 onto a brand new Kingston DTR500/32GB with the OS at the root and formatted following our instructions.

I am looking at the partition setup question in WinPE right now.

No errors found. Check your methodology.

22 Eylül 2011 Perşembe 19:20
  • I must admit that to date we have never had a problem with running the above setup for Windows 7, Server 2008 R2, SBS 2011, Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 RTM/SP1, and others.

That also came as a surprise to me because I am used to create UFDs this way since at least M3 of Windows Server 2008 R2.

I used Windows Explorer for the first time and xcopy /S /E /F for the second. Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool was the only solution that worked.

May that be because I first formatted my USB flash with align=32? (Very strange because the other time I re-formatted it with full formatting).

BTW: Please make sure that the USB flash drive settings in the BIOS are to _not_ set a USB storage device as highest priority in the boot order menu. This will cause problems with the OS WinPE load to install step after setting up a partition or choosing the partition and clicking NEXT.

22 Eylül 2011 Perşembe 19:21
  • If you went to build the usb key you got already boots to the setup.

I read somewhere that the Samsung tablet can't boot to a usb key > 4gb

22 Eylül 2011 Perşembe 22:45
  • Personally I use  http://partitionwizard.com/download.html, the Home version is free and it works very well. If you are trying to copy Windows 8 Dev. Prev. with the Dev. Tools, you will not be able to copy it to the USB Flash Drive due to the limitation of the Fat 32 file system.( the wiminstall file in the sources folder is to big).

What I did was to install the Windows 8 Dev. Prev. X64, then I downloaded and extracted the "Windows 8 Dev. Prev. with the Dev. Tools" iso using 7Zip. then I launched the setup program and followed the onscreen instruction.(no need to burn it to a DL DVD media).

I hope this helps someone.:)

• Düzenleyen Arcain2371 23 Eylül 2011 Cuma 02:46
    23 Eylül 2011 Cuma 02:44
  • Personally I use  http://partitionwizard.com/download.html, the Home version is free and it works very well. If you are trying to copy Windows 8 Dev. Prev. with the Dev. Tools, you will not be able to copy it to the USB Flash Drive due to the limitation of the Fat 32 file system.( the wiminstall file in the sources folder is to big). 

We format the USB flash drive using NTFS. No 4GB file size limit. We load SBS 2011 via USB flash. That WIM is 6.5GB in size (one file).

23 Eylül 2011 Cuma 03:42
  • I have tried to boot the system using Ntfs file system but my computer just didn't want to recognise it. :)
    • Düzenleyen Arcain2371 23 Eylül 2011 Cuma 04:32
    23 Eylül 2011 Cuma 04:30
  • FYI from MS support: "The Samsung Windows Developer Preview PCs do not support booting from USB flash drives larger than 4GB.  The drive must also be FAT32 format."
    23 Eylül 2011 Cuma 16:10
  • FYI from MS support: "The Samsung Windows Developer Preview PCs do not support booting from USB flash drives larger than 4GB.  The drive must also be FAT32 format."

Am not privy to that tablet so had no idea.

23 Eylül 2011 Cuma 16:46
  • Does this only lets you install Windows Developer Preview through the flash disk or does it actually runs without installation?
    25 Eylül 2011 Pazar 02:35

What I did was to install the Windows 8 Dev. Prev. X64, then I downloaded and extracted the "Windows 8 Dev. Prev. with the Dev. Tools" iso using 7Zip. then I launched the setup program and followed the onscreen instruction.(no need to burn it to a DL DVD media).

I hope this helps someone.:)

Can you please describe how you did it?
    Windows 8 Dev Preview with Tools has a file bigger than 4GB so it cannot be stored inside a FAT formatted USB stick.
    And if we format the USB stick with NTFS the UEFI BIOS wont boot from it.
    How can we install "Windows 8 Dev Preview with Tools" UEFI mode using a USB stick?
    25 Eylül 2011 Pazar 11:24

We format the USB flash drive using NTFS. No 4GB file size limit. We load SBS 2011 via USB flash. That WIM is 6.5GB in size (one file).

Problem is UEFI BIOS don't boot from a NTFS USB stick. ...and Windows 8 Dev Preview with Tools has a file bigger than 4GB so it cannot be stored inside a FAT formatted USB stick :(

How can we install "Windows 8 Dev Preview with Tools" UEFI mode without a DL-DVD?
    25 Eylül 2011 Pazar 11:26
  • hi

it is very eazy step

just follow this link http://wintoflash.com/home/en/  u will find Software called Novicorp win to flash download it

and run this application

i used it  for win 7 and Windows devloper priveiw

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren John4Star 15 Aralık 2011 Perşembe 14:28
    25 Eylül 2011 Pazar 15:57
  • Hello Sealight,

1. Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition.( The link is my previous post). Download the Windows Dev. Prev. X64, then extract the file using 7Zip or WinZip etc....

2. Insert your USB Flash drive, then launch the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition program.

3. Right click on your flash drive, and select delete.(Click on Apply on the top left icon, top of the window).

4. Right click on your flash drive, then Create. (make sure you select FAT 32 and Primary then click OK). then Right click again and format Fat32.

5. Click on Apply on the top left icon.(top of the window) 

6. With your flash drive selected, click on Set Active in the Operation menu on the left side of the window.

7. Launch Windows Explorer, In the File menu select ->folder option->View Tab->and select "Show hidden Files, Folders". Click Apply and OK.

8. Copy all the files and folders you extracted previously to your Flash drive.

9. Reboot your computer, enter the Bios Setup Program. Make sure that your flash drive is set to  Boot 1rst..

10. Install Windows 8.

If you would like to install Windows 8 Dev. Prev. with the Dev. tools. just download the ISO and extract it. Simply Double Click on the Setup File and follow the instruction.

This method does not take into account Dual boot.

I hope this is helpful. :)

• Düzenleyen Arcain2371 25 Eylül 2011 Pazar 20:35
    25 Eylül 2011 Pazar 19:59
  • This statement "BTW: Please make sure that the USB flash drive settings in the BIOS are to _not_ set a USB storage device as highest priority in the boot order menu. This will cause problems with the OS WinPE load to install step after setting up a partition or choosing the partition and clicking NEXT." solves a long standing problem I've had where attempting to install the OS via USB would fail once the Disk was selected. It allowed me to delete and format but would simply say that it couldn't install to that drive. Many support people were stumped, thanks for this info. Best practice seems to be to simply use the BOOT MENU instead of setting the USB first.
    25 Eylül 2011 Pazar 20:24
  • Problem is the Windows 8 Dev. Prev. with the Dev. tools has a file larger than 4GB that cannot be stored on a FAT partition. And UEFI does not read NTFS from USB sticks.

I decided to skip install and transfer the .wim image into a .vhd. This worked very well:

http://www.hyper-v.nu/archives/hvredevoort/2011/09/how-to-boot-from-vhd-with-windows-8-developer-preview/

25 Eylül 2011 Pazar 20:54
  • i installed Dev.Preview using this:

first: Mount the ISO using any image program.

Second: Insert your USB drive, and format it, using NTFS as file system.

Third: Copy all the contents from the ISO to the USB.

fourth: Once all data got copied, remove safely the drive.

5th: boot from USB in the boot menu of your bios.

Alternative: Advanced Install from USB, from your operating system (if its Windows, of course)

26 Eylül 2011 Pazartesi 17:21
  • 1. Download your developer preview of choice.

2. Have a usb stick. You need an 8GB stick if you are going with the full 64bit version. 4GB will do for the smaller versions.

3. Go to pendrivelinux and download the universal installer here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

4. Attach your USB stick to your computer

5. Run the universal installer and where it asks for your iso type, scroll wayyy down to the bottom where it says Windows 7 and click that

6. Navigate to your ISO and then click Create

7. Wait...

8. Boot from the USB and install

29 Eylül 2011 Perşembe 06:59
  • There is a catch when using USB/DVD Tool for Windows 7: it requires a 95KB bootsect.exe file in addition to an .iso file in order to successfully create bootable USB. This file is provided for by Microsoft Store together with Windows 7 .iso download. You just have to copy it to the same directory where you Windows 8 .iso is located before starting using USB/DVD Tool. Also you have to format you USB in NTFS on your own before starting creating bootable USB. USB/DVD Tool for Windows 7 will not change the NTFS formatting. This worked fine for me.
    Vladimir Shipitsyn
    16 Ekim 2011 Pazar 21:10
  • Keith,

Could there be a missing step in the process--configuring the boot record?

This worked for me.  I had to fix the last step :

http://javierestrada.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/installing-windows-to-go-on-a-usb-2-03-0-flash-drive-or-hard-drive-from-windows-7/

Cheers,

Javier

19 Ekim 2011 Çarşamba 15:55
  • i would just try fog's network bootable server i use for imaging at my school's IT department but it can use ramdisk to load the windows iso into memeory and then boot from it. Only problem is you need that memory to load the important files from the iso. It works similar to launching a burnt dvd. But i would say that you could make a windows 8 image using dvd on test computer and then transfer to fog server then you have boot files and img files of the os installed. Maybe packing this image onto a flash drive with boot file could help along with a bootable imaging program?

I now the steps seem long but after installation of fog its pretty straight forward. Fog is a linux program but comes with a installer script so installation is a breeze if you search their help docs on website.

20 Ekim 2011 Perşembe 14:51
  • Thanks !
    Windows Expert - Consumer
    23 Ekim 2011 Pazar 08:09
  • thankyou, that worked very well. preview now running on 2 machines: next hurdle is getting updates to run the modem & tackling the 3rd machine which doesn't boot from a usb.
    29 Aralık 2011 Perşembe 03:03
  • Hi Philip,

This procedure worked for me.

Thanks a lot! :)

31 Ocak 2012 Salı 09:33
  • If your not really that bothered about your previous version of windows 7 being unusable (which im not), and after you have made a bootable sd/usb......just run it straight from your desktop in 7... works fine and keeps your files that work too. :)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool  its a great little tool is that there :)

• Düzenleyen Heckmeister 22 Şubat 2012 Çarşamba 11:00
    20 Şubat 2012 Pazartesi 17:53