Visual Studio 2008 SP1 crash on Vista SP1

Soru

• When making changes in WPF designer and compiling, VS sometimes crashes.

Looking in Event Viewer, I see the following events:

1. Event 1023, .Net Runtime

- System

- Provider
    [ Name] .NET Runtime
    - EventID 1023
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 2
    Task 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2008-12-04T07:03:33.000Z
    EventRecordID 21742
    Channel Application

- EventData

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3053 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (6ABD0F92) (0)

2. Event 1001, Windows Error Reporting

- System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Windows Error Reporting
    - EventID 1001
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 4
    Task 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2008-12-04T07:11:22.000Z
    EventRecordID 21743
    Channel Application
    - EventData
    CLR20r3
    None
    devenv.exe
    488f2b50
    mscorlib
    4889dc80
    e
    Exception

Please help.
    04 Aralık 2008 Perşembe 08:37

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Anyone, please?
    08 Aralık 2008 Pazartesi 20:22
  •   Hi Yaakov

Thanks for your posting; I'd like to follow up further on your issue.

1. Since you only see the issue on particular projects, would it be possible for you to share a project that shows the issue with us? If so, please can you ZIP one up and send it via email to mwthomas at microsoft dot com?
    2. What version of Visual Studio are you running? Is it Visual Studio 2008 with Service Pack 1 installed?
    3. Do you have the recent KB958017 patch for the Visual Studio 2008 WPF designer installed?
    4. Do you have the Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2008 installed? If so is it the final released version or an earlier version?
    5. Do you have any prerelease software installed on the machine? If so what is it?
    6. Do you have any add-ins for Visual Studio installed?
    7. Does the problem reproduce with the same project, on a different machine (assuming you have access to one)?
    8. Would you be able to attach a second instance of Visual Studio to debug your primary instance, and attempt to capture a stack dump of the crash? (I can provide further instructions on how to do this if you would be willing).
    9. Are you running 64-bit windows?
    10. Does the problem ALWAYS happen for the particular projects it reproduces on (in other words could you say "whenever I open project X, and close windowy.xaml, the designer crashes") or is it intermittent?
    11. Has this always been a problem, or did it only become a problem when you installed Service Pack 1?

Regards

Mark
    Mark Wilson-Thomas - Program Team - WPF & SL Designer for Visual Studio - posts are provided 'as-is'
    08 Aralık 2008 Pazartesi 21:53
  • 1. Sorry, I can't share a project. It currently happens on a large project, which can't be shared. I'll try to repro on a smaller one.
    2. VS 2008 Pro SP1 on Vista Sp1 (see thread title).
    3. Installed, it made things worth (more often crashes!). Uninstalled.
    4. Tried that as well after removing KB958017. No apparent difference, still crashes.
    5. No. I had before (.Net & VS 3.5 Sp1 Beta), uninstalled them all using both the uninstaller and cleanup utility (in that order).
    6. VisualSvn.
    7. Don't have access to another repro machine at this stage.
    8. I will; please provide additional instructions.
    9. No.
    10. I wish; trying to find the exact scenario. Getting closer, as described in this thread.
    11. Only since Sp1.

Thanks,
    Yaakov
    08 Aralık 2008 Pazartesi 22:07
  • Thanks for the rapid response Yaakov

To debug further, please can you take these steps:

1. Start up Visual Studio, but don't open up any projects yet
    2. Start a second instance of Visual Studio, and in that instance, use Tools->Attach to Process..." to attach to the first instance of Visual Studio (devenv.exe), before opening any WPF projects
    3. Open up the WPF project/solution that repros the problem. Are there are any exceptions shown in the Output window of the debugging instance when you do the action that leads to the crash?
    4. If step 3 reveals a the name of an exception, follow steps 1,2 above again to attach another VS instance for debugging, go to "Debug->Exceptions..." and enable the "Thrown" checkbox for that exception, and do the actions that cause the crashing behavior again. Hopefully, this time it will stop in the debugger and you will be able to look at the exception information (you can see it by typing $exception into the Watch window of the debugging instance). The interesting information here is the description, callstack, and inner exceptions.

If you cannot make this work, please email me at mwthomas at microsoft dot com and I will provide you with a tool which may help in capturing the information we need.

It goes without saying that if you do manage to isolate the problem down to a particular project, XAML construct, or action that you are able to share (rather than the large project that you can't), that would be very useful indeed. It would also be very useful if you could get hold of a second machine to see if the problem repros there, but I understand this is a luxury that not everyone has access to.

Thanks for your patience,

Mark
    Mark Wilson-Thomas - Program Team - WPF & SL Designer for Visual Studio - posts are provided 'as-is'
    08 Aralık 2008 Pazartesi 22:31
  • Hello!

I have the same problem.  Visual Studio 2008 crash and stop the computer again and again when i work with WPF.
    I have Visual Studio standard 2008 with SP1
    Windows VISTA Business SP1
    Exists any solutions??

Thanks
    14 Şubat 2009 Cumartesi 23:44
  • Hi Freedeveloper

I am sorry that you're hitting these issues. I would very much like to see a crash dump for the issues you are hitting. See my instructions to Yaakov above for how to achieve this. If you have any problems getting a crash dump please email me at mwthomas at microsoft dot com and I will provide a tool which may help in capturing the information we need.

As mentioned to Yaakov, if you have a concrete method of reproducing the problem that you are able to share, that would be most useful. However I am aware that this sort of issue is seldom as simple as that.

Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, WPF+Silverlight Tools, Visual Studio Team
    15 Şubat 2009 Pazar 07:44
  • To all who are seeing this issue (Visual Studio rapid-crashing with no Dr Watson dialogs etc when working with XAML, seeing CLR fatal execution errors in the event log when this happens), I am delighted to tell you that there is a new CLR hotfix which fixes many cases of this sort of crash.

You can find the patch at
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=16827&wa=wsignin1.0    

This is a temporary download page which will be updated when the full KB article for this Hotfix is made available, so you will need some additional information to make use of it:

1. The *.msu are patches for Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
    2. The *.exe Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
    CORRECTION 3. If you are using 64-bit machines, the x64 patch will also update your 32-bit CLR installation (this is important since Visual Studio 2008 is a 32-bit application)
    4. Sorry we do not have a version of this patch for Windows 7 at present

If you have the symptoms mentioned in this thread, it is quite likely to cure your problem.

Please let me know if the patch fixes your issue or not.

Thanks
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, WPF & Silverlight Designer, Visual Studio Team

13 Mart 2009 Cuma 18:27
  • Thanks for the update, Mark!  Do you know if this patch has made it in to the Windows 7 codestream yet, or if it will make it in for the RTM?

Thanks,
    Bones
    14 Mart 2009 Cumartesi 15:30
  • I will check in with my colleagues in the CLR team to find out what the plans are for making this fix available on Windows 7, and let you know.

Mark
    14 Mart 2009 Cumartesi 20:36
  • Thanks, Mark. Do you have any information towards visibility of this update within Windows Update?
    Kind regards, Denis (GMT +02:00)
    16 Mart 2009 Pazartesi 07:31
  • Having followed up with my CLR colleagues, I can report that this fix will be incorporated by default in Windows 7 when it ships.

There are currently no plans to ship this patch on Windows Update, but it will have an official KB article in the near future, and it is planned to remain publicly downloadable.

Mark
    16 Mart 2009 Pazartesi 20:23
  • I can confirm that this does NOT solve the problem with Visual Studio 2008 SP1 hanging when compiling/running a program.

I would like to show a link to this thread which has been running for very long without a response:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vs2008sp1beta/thread/5a7008bd-6826-47a8-87cf-6d08fd981eb2

We are having these crashes a lot and it have resulted in a debate on whether or not to use WPF because Visual Studio is not ready for it.
    Unlike Yaakov I can confirm that it happens on several machines with different configurations.
    18 Mart 2009 Çarşamba 09:01
  • We have still the problem with the WPF designer. Now seems that happens less often that before, but it's still happen.

Besides it's not only with WPF, sometimes I'm writing a complex LINQ querie and crash.

.: Valeriano Tórtola - MCPD 2.0:Windows Developer & Enterprise Applications :.: http://www.vtortola.net :.
    24 Mart 2009 Salı 14:06
  • Hi MEK_DK

thanks for bringing that thread to my attention. I have responded there as well, but just to close the loop on this thread too:

The hanging issue some of you are hitting when editing/compiling/running WPF applications in VS2008 SP1 is currently being actively worked on for a potential Hotfix. (see https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=362619 for details). The potential fix is currently being field tested by a test group (which is now full).

Please check out https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=362619 for updates as we have them.

It is a separate fix from the CLR fix described further up this thread. The CLR fix primarily addresses hard crashes of Visual Studio (where the UI disappears, and typically an event log entry is generated indicating a Fatal Execution Error in the CLR). The in-preparation Hotfix is for Hangs (where Visual Studio stops responding but does not disappear, and often shows the VS icon in the system tray with a message "Visual Studio is Busy"). 

Thanks

Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, WPF & Silverlight Designer Team, Visual Studio
    26 Mart 2009 Perşembe 18:41
  • Hi Mark

Thanks for the update really nice to know that the problem is finally being handled.
    Hope to see the hotfix soon.
    I really like WPF but with all the bugs in it and in WPF handling in VS it has been difficult to find support, but if this one is solved the biggest bug will be dead.

Thanks
    27 Mart 2009 Cuma 14:41
  • Unfortunatly this patch doesn't work here:
    - Vista 64 SP2 (Ultimate)
    - Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
    - Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1
    - Microsoft Silverlight Projects 2008 Version 9.0.30729.146

I tried:
    - Windows6.0-KB963676-x64.msu
    - Windows6.0-KB963676-x86.msu

Both patches abort: "Your system is not supported" (translated from German error message)

Edit:
    - Affected are the XAML/WPF editors of Visual C# Express and Visual Web Developer Express 2008

Unfortunatly I can't develop any Silverlight or WPF right now :-(
    01 Haziran 2009 Pazartesi 14:50
  • This has fixed the very very annoying issue for me. I think a lot of development teams have just resorted to using other editors. I know this was the advice given to me by some of the people on my team, but I decided to try asnd fix the problerm.
    28 Temmuz 2009 Salı 11:37
  • Thanks for sticking with us on this @ira.me.uk - we realize that the problem took a long time to resolve and are glad you are now back in working order.

@marco_82 - please can you contact me directly via email at mwthomas at microsoft dot com with subject line "KB963676 won't install for me" - I would like to put you in touch with the CLR team folks who wrote this patch to see why it is not installing for you.

Mark
    29 Temmuz 2009 Çarşamba 01:25
  • Any updates on a Windows 7 fix? It has been a long, long time now and there doesn't appear to be any news. Right now my whole team and I are blocked by consistant, reproducable crashes in the Design View with no way to disable the Design View at all. (That would be a nice feature in VS come to think of it - full disabling of the Design View for XAML... Myself and most of my cohorts hand-code everything and it's just as easy to hit F5 to eyeball the design rather than look at the Design tab.) Thanks!

- Tim @ Razorfish
    12 Ağustos 2009 Çarşamba 21:24
  • Hi Tim

The good news is that the Hotfix has been slipstreamed into Windows 7 RTM. So if you install the RTM build of Windows 7 (assuming you have an MSDN subscription) you should get the fix built-in. If you are still seeing the designer "hard crash" with no Watson dialog on Windows 7 RTM bits, please let me know - we would like to get crash dumps and event log details. Contact me directly on mwthomas at microsoft dot com if this is the case.

If rebuilding your machines with RTM Windows 7 is not an option, and you don't want to use the designer, you actually can disable the design view (and have been able to do so since VS2008) by choosing Tools...Options...Text Editor...XAML...Miscellaneous and checking the "Always open documents in full XAML view" box. You also can do this on a page-by-page basis by collapsing the design view and viewing the XAML pane.

Mark
    12 Ağustos 2009 Çarşamba 21:31
  • Hey Mark, thanks for the super prompt reply!

I am still getting this issue on Win7 RTM (BuildLabEx 7600.16384.amd64fre.win7_rtm.090710-1945) using Visual Studio Team System v9.0.30729.1 w/ .Net 3.5 SP1 and the Team System KB add-ons, as well as the Win 7 SDKs.

Everything is working great until I add a UserControl with a WebBrowser into the mix in our app - something I've done countless times before and indeed on this machine with this version of VS (in other projects) with no issues. If I open the XAML file in Notepad and comment out the control with the browser element in it then open in VS things compile and run beautifully. As soon as I uncomment the UserControl and the Designer updates (*poof*) VS closes instantly with no warnings, errors or Watson. I'm also having trouble figuring out how to attach the Event Viewer to VS in Win7 since there are apparently changes to how Event Viewer works. This is replicating for all developers in my team, though all of us are using identical versions of Win 7 and VS so it's no surprise.

If there's anything else you need from me, please give me quick instructions and I'll be happy to get you logs or reports or event messages, etc. Thanks!

- Tim

12 Ağustos 2009 Çarşamba 22:18
  • Hi Tim

Thanks for the detail on the WebBrowser control.

The problem you are seeing is actually solved by KB958017:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/958017

The issue is one of those listed for this KB: when you set and then delete the Source property of a WPF WebBrowser control, Visual Studio crashes.

It's likely you just forgot to install the Hotfix when you re-paved the boxes with RTM.

You can get the Hotfix from http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB958017 

Be aware if you already have the latest version of the Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1, you DO NOT need and should not install this hotfix. All of the fixes in the Hotfix package are already included in the Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (both SL2 and SL3 versions).

Mark

12 Ağustos 2009 Çarşamba 22:43
  • Most excellent, problem solved! =) Thanks again, Mark - you're a saint!
    13 Ağustos 2009 Perşembe 00:16
  • Thanks! Glad it worked for you!
    13 Ağustos 2009 Perşembe 00:30
  • This was the magic bullet I needed in my case. I had VS 2008 SP1 installed along with the most recent install of Silverlight 3 Tools. But whenever I worked with a Silverlight project my VS 2008 went poof without on-screen error messages, other than the Event Log ID 1023 errors.

Awesome! Now I can start learning how to use Silverlight 3!!!
    26 Ağustos 2009 Çarşamba 18:07
  • VS KEEPS CRASHING. I've installed KB958017, KB963035, and KB 963676. It happens only during build, if something has previously changed in a XAML page through the designer. Any suggestions?
    • Yanıt Olarak Öneren jhhhj 14 Eylül 2009 Pazartesi 20:54
    • Yanıt Önerisini Geri Alan Yaakov.Davis 14 Eylül 2009 Pazartesi 20:57
    01 Eylül 2009 Salı 11:11
  • Sorry for the delay - I have been on vacation.

Hi Yaakov - sorry you're still seeing problems even with the full set of Hotfixes installed.

Please can you contact me directly via email at mwthomas at microsoft dot com, with the subject line "VS crashes during build". I'd be particularly interested to see the memory usage of VS on each compile. Does VS crash straight away as soon as you compile, or only after a few compilations?

Mark

08 Eylül 2009 Salı 16:43
  • It happens straight away at first compile. Reopening VS, cleaning solution , closing VS and again opening it , makes it compilable again.
    If the above steps are not performed in that particular order, it crashes again and again.
    14 Eylül 2009 Pazartesi 21:01
  • Thanks for getting back to me @Yaakov

1. I am assuming that this issue only shows up on a particular project, not on a fresh WPF project?
    2. Since you have a reliable repro, can you attempt to capture a crash dump of the crash and send it to me (I can set up a secure transfer location for the dump if it is too big for email) - contact me directly by email at mwthomas at microsoft dot com when you have captured the dump
    3. Can you check your event log for the period around when the crashes happen - is it still showing the same sort of entries as you saw at the start of this thread back in December last year?
    4. Once you've cleaned up per your steps above, how long does it take for the problem to re-ocurr? Could you check the memory consumption of devenv.exe over a series of recompiles (I am wondering if the root of the issue is something that causes an Out Of Memory exception).

Regards
    Mark
    14 Eylül 2009 Pazartesi 21:17
  • not again, this Ajax killing my replies, and set your message as porposed answer :( I have to type over again.

Yaakov.Davis Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

I had a similar issue, but found a solution.

Here is what happens.
    Visual Studio Designer could create instances of some of the controls if for example you placed a child control on a form the base class for that child would be instantiated, similar if you have referenced external assemblies which have controls that are on a form, those controls could be instantiated, it depends on a control logic. If you are creating a control you have to check for Design time compilation versus run-time. Now if control resides in an assembly which is located on a shared or networking folder logic of that control would be executed in a different security context, and AccessDenied exception could be thrown. Now in my case Visual Studio was not handling this exception properly and was crashing. DWatson was executing and collecting crash data but that did help.

What should happen is VS IDE should handle such exception and cancel rendering with a proper message and type of the exception.

Now I solved it by copying all referenced assemblies into local project folder, then recompiling project and restarting Visual Studio IDE.
    I usually copy assemblies for real projects. I ran into this problem by trying to create real quick prototype and was lazy to transfer dlls locally.

Let me know if it helps.
    http://isolvable.blogspot.com/2009/09/visual-studio-2008-xaml-designer.html

• Düzenleyen jhhhj 14 Eylül 2009 Pazartesi 22:09 spelling
    14 Eylül 2009 Pazartesi 22:07
  • Hi @jhhjh/Ivan

We've substantially improved handling for cases where controls fail to load in the upcoming Visual Studio 2010 product. We'd love to test your fail case against the new product - could you contact me directly at mwthomas at microsoft dot com if you are able to share a project which illustrates the broken state you describe above.

Thanks
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, WPF & Silverlight Designer Team, Visual Studio
    15 Eylül 2009 Salı 00:16
  • I have been looking for a fix to this issue and followed your method for getting the debug output.  Below is what I got.
    I have run Visual Studio as Administrator as well with similar results.
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE\9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio\9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.9.0\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.9.0.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop\7.1.40304.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop\7.1.40304.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.8.0\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.8.0.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.9.0\9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.9.0.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Designer.Interfaces\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Designer.Interfaces.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing.Design\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.Design.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.9.0\9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.9.0.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.VisualStudio.VSHelp80\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.VSHelp80.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Design\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Design.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Build.Engine\3.5.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Build.Framework\3.5.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.Build.Framework.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\System.Web\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\CustomMarshalers\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\CustomMarshalers.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design\9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design\9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\EnvDTE\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\EnvDTE.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Web.Design.Client.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Mobile\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.Mobile.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Abstractions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Abstractions.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll'
    A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.JScript\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.JScript.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\VJSharpCodeProvider\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\VJSharpCodeProvider.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\CppCodeProvider\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\CppCodeProvider.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\System.Data\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Data.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Services\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.Services.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\System.EnterpriseServices\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.EnterpriseServices.dll'
    A first chance exception of type 'System.BadImageFormatException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\eac60a60\70a86ac4_2671c901\AspDotNetStorefrontCommon.DLL', Symbols loaded.
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\5eb56282\04140a67_2915c901\AspDotNetStorefrontEncrypt.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\80bd859b\d5b75e75_4a6dc901\AspDotNetStorefrontGateways.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\d6c7995b\04140a67_2915c901\CMPCDotNet.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\38770a37\a9b10767_2915c901\CyberSource.Clients.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\d8d8e596\a9b10767_2915c901\eSELECTplus_dotNet_API-US.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\b7d93d7e\4e4f0567_2915c901\eWorld.UI.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\111876f4\04140a67_2915c901\ExcelWrapper.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\82689362\04140a67_2915c901\GemBox.Spreadsheet.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\b03fd6ef\4e4f0567_2915c901\LinkPointTransaction.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\4565df0a\a9b10767_2915c901\Protx.Vsp.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\a88b390e\a9b10767_2915c901\qqMail.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\0b5fa537\0088fc9f_bd77c701\XsltObjects.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Runtime.Serialization\3.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Runtime.Serialization.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.IdentityModel\3.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.IdentityModel.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.ServiceModel\3.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.ServiceModel.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.ServiceModel.Web\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.ServiceModel.Web.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.WorkflowServices\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.WorkflowServices.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\System.EnterpriseServices\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll'
    A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'lt00xukk'
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in System.Xml.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Web.HttpParseException' occurred in System.Web.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.AccessViolationException' occurred in System.Web.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' occurred in System.Web.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.AccessViolationException' occurred in System.Web.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.BadImageFormatException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\d8d8e596\a9b10767_2915c901\eSELECTplus_dotNet_API-US.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\b7d93d7e\4e4f0567_2915c901\eWorld.UI.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\111876f4\04140a67_2915c901\ExcelWrapper.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\82689362\04140a67_2915c901\GemBox.Spreadsheet.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\b03fd6ef\4e4f0567_2915c901\LinkPointTransaction.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\4565df0a\a9b10767_2915c901\Protx.Vsp.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\a88b390e\a9b10767_2915c901\qqMail.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6ad8660\bc751088\assembly\dl3\0b5fa537\0088fc9f_bd77c701\XsltObjects.DLL'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Runtime.Serialization\3.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Runtime.Serialization.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.IdentityModel\3.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.IdentityModel.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.ServiceModel\3.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.ServiceModel.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.ServiceModel.Web\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.ServiceModel.Web.dll'
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.WorkflowServices\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.WorkflowServices.dll'
    A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    'devenv.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'n132jjrt'
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in System.Xml.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Web.HttpParseException' occurred in System.Web.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.AccessViolationException' occurred in Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.AccessViolationException' occurred in Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' occurred in System.Web.dll
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.AccessViolationException' occurred in System.Web.dll

Additional information: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

The program '[716] devenv.exe: Managed' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

B. Iverson Lead Engineer. We all live on this tiny blue marble...
    12 Kasım 2009 Perşembe 16:57
  • I have tried many of the related fixes.  Nothing seems to fix my problem.  I am not the only one with the problem, but it does seemed linked to a particular project.  I have used Visual Studio 2008 on other machines running Win XP and have not updated it and there is no problem with loading the project.  But on Vista with the VS 2008 upgraded and another XP machine with VS upgraded, it crashes frequently.  VS crashes frequently when I am only working on a single aspx file or general html files. 

Please this is really killing my productivity.

B. Iverson Lead Engineer. We all live on this tiny blue marble...
    • Yanıt Olarak Öneren Anthony Yio 27 Temmuz 2010 Salı 01:58
    03 Aralık 2009 Perşembe 00:00
  • Hi @CaptainBli

Sorry to hear of the trouble you're experiencing - based on your stack trace and comments, it seems you are working on an ASP.NET project editing ASPX or HTML files, rather than a WPF and/or Silverlight application editing XAML - is that correct?

This forum is for questions about the WPF and Silverlight Designer in Visual Studio - you will get much better responses to ASP.NET related issues on the forums at forums.asp.net; for this specific question I suggest re-posting your request at http://forums.asp.net/1112.aspx which deals specifically with ASP.NET in Visual Studio 2008.

If I have misunderstood the nature of your project, and you are in fact seeing issues opening XAML files from WPF or Silverlight projects in Visual Studio 2008 (or 2010) please let me know.

Regards

Mark
    03 Aralık 2009 Perşembe 01:56
  • This happens to myself too with VS2008 but my OS is Windows 7. I notice that there is this FxCopCmd.exe process running in the background and hogging the resources randomly.  Looks like code analyzer tool. 

The actions which i observed which could alleviate a bit of this crashes from happening are

- Running IDE with Administrator right.

- Disable the code analyzer (I notice this crashing problem start to surface "more" often after using the code analyzer tool. Be it Ms bundled or third party ones)

- Check out all the files from TFS upfront before expecting the IDE to detect what needs to be check out and edit.(like those Unit Test project )

- Do not use IDE to edit mark up files(ASPX, XML, etc).Edit it in the notepad or text editor.

Please drop me an email if there are better ways to solve this.

thanks

27 Temmuz 2010 Salı 02:28
  • Hi @Anthony Yio

Are you working with WPF and Silverlight projects? Or some other UI technology (ASP.NET? WIndows Forms?).

Mark

27 Temmuz 2010 Salı 21:10
  • Hi Mark,

Not WPF or silverlight. The UI technology that i am currently using is Web Client Software Factory - ASP.NET MVP + controller. Most pages use ASP.NET AJAX update panel. AJAX library version not the latest but not too old either.

Hope that is helpful.

Anthony

28 Temmuz 2010 Çarşamba 02:35