none
SQL Server 2008

คำถาม

•  

Hi,

I've setup SQL sever 2008 (Express) fine, no problems with that.

However I want to connect remotely to the DB from my Laptop, when I connect on the machine with SQL its called MYPC\SQLEXPRESS and I connect fine when im on the machine with the SQL server on. But when I try the same in SQL Server management studio 2005 on my Laptop it says "An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server" .... I've checked that remote connections is allowed but it still isnt having it.

I've also tried using the IP 192.168.xx.xx as the machine is on my network, I just cant figure out why I cant connect!

Can anyone help? Please! Sad

10 ธันวาคม 2551 22:36

คำตอบ

• Hello,

It is a well-known problem : Sql Server Management Studio can manage only instances of which the version is lower or equal to Sql Server 2005 ( so 2005 or 2000 ).

To connect 2008 instances , you must use a Sql Server Management Studio with a version at least 2008.

Be careful, as Mike Wachal pointed in another thread, you cannot upgrade SSMSEE 2005 in 2008 ( if i have well understood Mike, it is because SSMSEE 2005 has been created but not finalized so it is not upgradable : you must uninstal it before trying to upgrade Sql Server EE 2005 to Sql Server EE 2008 and even the presence of SSMSEE forbids the upgrade , badly it is not detected during the check phase...)

No solution as the compatibility downwards is respected ( with SSMS 2008 you may connect to a 2005 Sql Server ) not in the other direction

I am sorry for you

Have a nice day 

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Jason1988 14 ธันวาคม 2551 0:18
    10 ธันวาคม 2551 23:08

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Hello,

It is a well-known problem : Sql Server Management Studio can manage only instances of which the version is lower or equal to Sql Server 2005 ( so 2005 or 2000 ).

To connect 2008 instances , you must use a Sql Server Management Studio with a version at least 2008.

Be careful, as Mike Wachal pointed in another thread, you cannot upgrade SSMSEE 2005 in 2008 ( if i have well understood Mike, it is because SSMSEE 2005 has been created but not finalized so it is not upgradable : you must uninstal it before trying to upgrade Sql Server EE 2005 to Sql Server EE 2008 and even the presence of SSMSEE forbids the upgrade , badly it is not detected during the check phase...)

No solution as the compatibility downwards is respected ( with SSMS 2008 you may connect to a 2005 Sql Server ) not in the other direction

I am sorry for you

Have a nice day 

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Jason1988 14 ธันวาคม 2551 0:18
    10 ธันวาคม 2551 23:08
  •  

Thanks papy,

So does this mean if I can find MS 2008 management tools it will run ok, if so ... were can I find them? After your reply I tried to find the MS Server 2008 management tools but I cant seem to find them anywere!

BTW: Why's everyone using SQL 2005 server when SQL server 2008 is free as well?

Thanks!

10 ธันวาคม 2551 23:18
  • Hello Jason1988,

You wrote

Code Snippet

BTW: Why's everyone using SQL 2005 server when SQL server 2008 is free as well?

Please, could you have a look on this link ?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

Some features missing ( at least partly ) to Express Editions ):

- Replication ( as subscriber only )

- Service Broker ( as client only )

- Database mail

- 2GB max for the memory used by an instance

- 1 processor max ( more exactly 1 socket as a multi-core processor is counted as 1 processor and Hyper-Threading is not counted  )

- Sql Agent is disabled with Express Edition ( so no job...)

- Sql Server Management Studio is the "basic" one and is not complete

Advantages for Sql Server Express ( 2 only ) :

- the price ( it is free )

- the notion of user instances ( but if you develop an application based on user instances connection and you try to connect versusa Dev or Standard Edition , you will have an unpleasant surprise : it is not recognized )

The choice between Express Edition or not is mainly depending of the use of your Sql Server.

An application used by a single user on a single machine will need only an Express Edition ( in most of the cases )

An application used ( on the same time ) by 8 users on 8 computers linked in a Windows domain will appreciate a Standard Edition but is more expensive

If you use Sql Server 2008 only for fun or to learn it, Sql Server Express would be nice , but i think that a Developer Edition for less than $100 would be better ( nearly equivalent to an Entreprise/Evaluation Edition but with 5 max connections and useable only for testing or developpement )

Don't hesitate to post again for more help or explanations

Have a nice day

11 ธันวาคม 2551 7:24
  • Hi Jason,

You can get Management Studio 2008 by installing either SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools or SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services. Since you already have SQL Server 2008 Express you'll need to do two things:

1. Uninstall Management Studio Express 2005 as Papy explianed.
    2. Follow the instructions for Edition Upgrade in my blog in order to change your installation to the new edtion.

This should get you up and running.

Regards,

Mike

11 ธันวาคม 2551 17:30
  • Thanks for all the help guys :) Very helpful
    14 ธันวาคม 2551 0:18