none
Database mirroing since we to need to have high redundancy - Lync Front end server, Lync archive server, SCOM 2007 R2 and SCVMM

Întrebare

• Planned to move for Database mirroing since we to need to have high redundancy both on server as well as database. I read about database mirroring could you please suggest what will be the best pratice to have number of network card.

1. Is it possible to have single network card for communicating both on front end servers and database mirroring.

2. If i move for two network card. making the first card to communicate with front end server ( i mean front end server is Lync Front end server, Lync archive server, SCOM 2007 R2 and SCVMM server) and second card connecting directly between two servers using cross over cable.

3. Planning to create 4 seperate instance seperately for Lync Front end server, Lync archive server, SCOM 2007 R2 and SCVMM server. Kindly will it be best pratice for having it.

4. Planning to do database mirroing only for 2 instance which holds the database for Lync Front end server, Lync archive server..is it possible to do database mirroring in 2 instance for all the database present in that instance and not doing for database mirroing for other 2 instance

Your help is much appreciated

Exchange Queries

12 aprilie 2012 01:08

Răspunsuri

• Hi,

Short answer to all 4 questions: it depends :)

Let me try to answer your questions and add some points to consider:

1. Yes it is possible to have a single network card, however depending on the load it may not be sufficient and will perform poorly.
    2. Yes, it is possible. I used to use at least 2 network cards for mirroring: one card for mirroring network traffic the other one for users/apps traffic + using VLAN's on the network.
    3. It can cause management overhead and license cost increase. Instances are good if you want security boundaries for example. Please note that cross database queries may not work or a bit complicated to set up than in a single instance.
    4. Can you explain a bit more detailed please?

Mirroring povides database level protection only. If you need better availability and instance level protection, you may consider a combination of clustering and mirroring or use SQL 2012 AlwaysOn.

I hope it helps.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    My Blog

12 aprilie 2012 04:28
  • Hi Exchange Queries

To implement SQL Server failover cluster along with database mirroring, please see: Database Mirroring and Failover Clustering.

One thing you may take into account is that, if there is something wrong with the active node, whether it is failover to another passive node based on the SQL Server cluster, or failover to the secondary database based on the database mirroring. If the failover of SQL Server cluster is prior to that of the database mirroring, you’d better to set the database mirroring without witness.

As for the license, secondary server does not required the license if its processors are no more than the primary server. Both SQL Server cluster and database mirroring are applied to. Please see: Microsoft SQL Server Licensing For Dummies.. 

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

13 aprilie 2012 02:11
  • Hi!

I am sure that there is a nice guide out there somewhere, but unfortunately I can't find one on the spot, so here is how I do it normally:

1) Create an Endpoint on all machines.

CREATE ENDPOINT <endpoint name> AUTHORIZATION <DomainUserAccount>

STATE=STARTED AS TCP (LISTENER_PORT=5022, LISTENER_IP=ALL)

FOR DATABASE_MIRRORING (ROLE=ALL, AUTHENTICATION=WINDOWS NEGOTIATE)

On the wittness server you have to create it with ROLE=WITNESS if you are using SQL Express

2) On all servers grant connect privilege to the user. Assuming that you used the same DomainUserAccount on all servers that looks like this:

GRANT CONNECT ON ENDPOINT::<endpoint name> TO <DomainUserAccount>

3) Ensure that your DB has FULL recovery model

4) Make a full backup + Log backup of the DB you want to mirror and ensure that no more log backups are taken after that one until you are finished with Mirroring setup.

5) Restore the full backup + log backup on the mirror partner (both with the NORECOVERY option)

6) Now I would use the Management Studio GUI to do the real mirroring setup. You can script it of course, but it's easier with the UI. Right click the database, go to Properties, Mirroring and click "Configure Security". In the wizard you can then specify the mirror server as well as the Witness.

7) Once you are through the wizard and have started mirroring you are back in the Mirroring page of the DB properties. The Operating mode should be configured as "High safety with automatic failover" is you specified a witness.

That's it. In this configuration the mirror will automatically failover if the primary goes down.

Lucifer

23 aprilie 2012 06:22

Toate mesajele

• Hi,

Short answer to all 4 questions: it depends :)

Let me try to answer your questions and add some points to consider:

1. Yes it is possible to have a single network card, however depending on the load it may not be sufficient and will perform poorly.
    2. Yes, it is possible. I used to use at least 2 network cards for mirroring: one card for mirroring network traffic the other one for users/apps traffic + using VLAN's on the network.
    3. It can cause management overhead and license cost increase. Instances are good if you want security boundaries for example. Please note that cross database queries may not work or a bit complicated to set up than in a single instance.
    4. Can you explain a bit more detailed please?

Mirroring povides database level protection only. If you need better availability and instance level protection, you may consider a combination of clustering and mirroring or use SQL 2012 AlwaysOn.

I hope it helps.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    My Blog

12 aprilie 2012 04:28
  • How to combine  of clustering and mirroring in sql 2008

we have single proc standard edition for sql 2008 license.

Exchange Queries

12 aprilie 2012 09:20
  • Hi Exchange Queries

To implement SQL Server failover cluster along with database mirroring, please see: Database Mirroring and Failover Clustering.

One thing you may take into account is that, if there is something wrong with the active node, whether it is failover to another passive node based on the SQL Server cluster, or failover to the secondary database based on the database mirroring. If the failover of SQL Server cluster is prior to that of the database mirroring, you’d better to set the database mirroring without witness.

As for the license, secondary server does not required the license if its processors are no more than the primary server. Both SQL Server cluster and database mirroring are applied to. Please see: Microsoft SQL Server Licensing For Dummies.. 

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

13 aprilie 2012 02:11
  • Could you please provide the step by step how to install "clustering and mirroring in sql 2008" i am new to sql 2008.

Is that sql 2008 R2 SP1 express also need to have license?

Exchange Queries

13 aprilie 2012 10:20
  • Those are actually two different things:

1) Setup clustering, which does have it's own setup wizards to do.

2) Setup DB Mirroring, which is the same no matter if you mirror between two stand alone servers or two clusters.

Which one do you need guidance for?

And no, SQL Express doesn't need a license.

19 aprilie 2012 06:09
  • how to make autofailover in to get it happen in database mirroring and also could you please provide step by step detail to configure database mirroring...

Exchange Queries

20 aprilie 2012 19:32
  • Hi!

I am sure that there is a nice guide out there somewhere, but unfortunately I can't find one on the spot, so here is how I do it normally:

1) Create an Endpoint on all machines.

CREATE ENDPOINT <endpoint name> AUTHORIZATION <DomainUserAccount>

STATE=STARTED AS TCP (LISTENER_PORT=5022, LISTENER_IP=ALL)

FOR DATABASE_MIRRORING (ROLE=ALL, AUTHENTICATION=WINDOWS NEGOTIATE)

On the wittness server you have to create it with ROLE=WITNESS if you are using SQL Express

2) On all servers grant connect privilege to the user. Assuming that you used the same DomainUserAccount on all servers that looks like this:

GRANT CONNECT ON ENDPOINT::<endpoint name> TO <DomainUserAccount>

3) Ensure that your DB has FULL recovery model

4) Make a full backup + Log backup of the DB you want to mirror and ensure that no more log backups are taken after that one until you are finished with Mirroring setup.

5) Restore the full backup + log backup on the mirror partner (both with the NORECOVERY option)

6) Now I would use the Management Studio GUI to do the real mirroring setup. You can script it of course, but it's easier with the UI. Right click the database, go to Properties, Mirroring and click "Configure Security". In the wizard you can then specify the mirror server as well as the Witness.

7) Once you are through the wizard and have started mirroring you are back in the Mirroring page of the DB properties. The Operating mode should be configured as "High safety with automatic failover" is you specified a witness.

That's it. In this configuration the mirror will automatically failover if the primary goes down.

Lucifer

23 aprilie 2012 06:22
  • how to make autofailover in to get it happen in database mirroring and also could you please provide step by step detail to configure database mirroring...

Exchange Queries

Hi,

Check if the following two posts are helpful for Configuring Database Mirroring:

http://sudeeptaganguly.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/how-to-configure-database-mirroring-in-an-active-directory-environment-using-sql-server-2008/

http://sudeeptaganguly.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/database-mirroring-with-sqlcmd/

SKG: Please Marked as Answered, if it resolves your issue. (b: http://sudeeptaganguly.wordpress.com)

23 aprilie 2012 09:01