none
Error installing SQL Server Management Studio Express on Windows Vista RC1

Pergunta

• Hello NG,

After installing SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on Windows Vista RC1, I wanted to install also the Managent Studio but I always receive the following error message:

"Bei der Installation dieses Pakets ist ein unerwarteter Fehler aufgetreten. Es liegt eventuell ein das Paket betreffendes Problem vor. Der Fehlercode ist 29506."

Where can I find more infos about this error-code?

Anybody knows this problem?

Thank in advance for every help.

sábado, 18 de novembro de 2006 02:13

Respostas

• Guys I had a real hard time getting this to work as a newbie with 64 bit computing and not really knowing that much about SQL Server at all.

For anyone else that needs it spelling out then this is exactly what to do...
    For Windows 7 64 bit you have to use the 64 bit CMD prompt (I didn't even know there was a separate version) and then run this as administrator. So I did the following…
    1. Right click on desktop and click NEW – SHORTCUT
    2. Create shortcut to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe
    3. Right click on the new shortcut and Run AS ADMINISTRATOR
    4. Enter full path and file name:
    e.g. C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\Downloads\SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi
    Where [YOUR NAME] is the windows user you are using.
    • Sugerido como Resposta someonit quinta-feira, 7 de janeiro de 2010 16:52
    • Marcado como Resposta Alex Feng (SQL)Moderator quinta-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2010 09:33
    domingo, 13 de dezembro de 2009 00:32
  •  

You might want to try installing under rasied permissions for the user... Also from memory the install of the express products on vista had not been approved (Supported) and MS were working on it with the Newer SP for the express products. You might want to check it out with one of the guys from MS. Also if you could translate the error message to english it might help some of use read what is going on....

segunda-feira, 20 de novembro de 2006 03:29

Todas as Respostas

•  

You might want to try installing under rasied permissions for the user... Also from memory the install of the express products on vista had not been approved (Supported) and MS were working on it with the Newer SP for the express products. You might want to check it out with one of the guys from MS. Also if you could translate the error message to english it might help some of use read what is going on....

segunda-feira, 20 de novembro de 2006 03:29
  • I´ve got the same error. I started a cmd-shell as an Administrator and started the MSI package from there. This works.

HTH
    Alexej Kucher

• Sugerido como Resposta squebler terça-feira, 25 de agosto de 2009 06:05
    sexta-feira, 8 de dezembro de 2006 09:47
  • Hi...

How can I start a cmd_shell as an Administrator.

thanks

sexta-feira, 13 de julho de 2007 02:02
  • Just right-click the command shell icon and choose "run as..." .Enter the admin credentials.
    quarta-feira, 25 de julho de 2007 10:17
  •  

hello!

can you help me!

am traing to install SQL server management but an error-code 29506 tells me that it cant install..

i hope that you can help me!

you seed that we can use an cmd-shell, if you can tell me how can i do that it while be very helpful.

my e-mail is yeyo_all@hotmail.com

sorry for my ingles i´m colombian.....

quinta-feira, 18 de outubro de 2007 05:25
  • Yes this does work - excuse me for being rude but this is a bug that should have been taken care of. I am logged in with a user that has admin rights... that should be enough. All other programs install fine. This needs to be fixed so you MS folks stop driving everyone crazy out here! Dennis from Camarillo CA

domingo, 9 de março de 2008 18:49

• Thank you for adequately describing my state of mind. I am going crazy. I'm in an endless loop of sql server express saying it won't work until the upgrade in done, so I do the 2 hour long frigging upgrade, then it says it can't install, so I reboot and it take forever aftert he bad install, and then it says I have an update again and won't let me use the sql server express as I have been using it.

I have now missed my deadline today. I have spent the last 3 days fighting this frigging update. I've now tried twice to turn off updates. Thanks for ruining my weekend and my presentation Microsoft. I'm going crazy and I still in XP. It did this about a month ago as well. I'm getting really pissed off.
    domingo, 9 de março de 2008 21:09
  •  

In plane English this means: in the startbar type cmd.exe.

When you see it popping up in the list above, right-click it and click 'Run as Administrator'.

Then type cd and the path of the folder where SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi is located.

Then type SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi and press enter.

Worked for me...

• Sugerido como Resposta nilashis sábado, 28 de março de 2009 00:03
    quarta-feira, 8 de outubro de 2008 14:41
  • It does NOT install on x64 version of Vista, I've just found out.  The download page says that Vista isn't supported, btw.

terça-feira, 28 de outubro de 2008 00:00
  • But SP2 version runs!  x64 version is 48mb.  Downloading now.

terça-feira, 28 de outubro de 2008 00:06
  •  

downloaded this SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi  ran from the command line with admin privs and it worked for me too.  thanks!
    terça-feira, 28 de outubro de 2008 21:39
  • running from commandline as administrator worked for me too..

thanks...
    domingo, 12 de abril de 2009 19:47
  • I got the same error when trying to install it on Windows 7 RC1.

Starting a console as administrator and starting the installation from there worked fine.
    terça-feira, 23 de junho de 2009 16:27
  • I was trying to install management studio but kept getting the error code of 29506. This happened just before it finished installing.

I just went back to microsoft and intalled sql server management studio "service pack 2" and it worked no problem.

Hope this helps.
    quarta-feira, 24 de junho de 2009 16:43
  • it works if installing sp2 version. thanks!!!
    segunda-feira, 20 de julho de 2009 04:50
  • Was having the same issue with Windows 7 Ultimate Beta and this worked for installing SQLSERVER2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi.

Thanks!

sexta-feira, 31 de julho de 2009 04:40
  • Works for me! Great! 
    domingo, 2 de agosto de 2009 06:14
  • Same error with Windows 7 -  

Did the cmd as administrator and it worked as well.

Quite frustrating considering that I'm already logged as the administrator on my machine.  Ridiculous.
    quarta-feira, 5 de agosto de 2009 04:31
  • alexejk, you're such a life saver!
    terça-feira, 25 de agosto de 2009 06:06
  • Brilliant, just saved me lots of frustration.  It works perfectly on Win7. 

As a side note: I found a quicker way than using right click and Run As... is to press Ctrl + Shift + Return when you have entered cmd in the startbar.  This will run the prompt with Admin rights.
    quarta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2009 06:52
  • thx The G Z !
    sexta-feira, 4 de setembro de 2009 23:26
  • I´ve got the same error. I started a cmd-shell as an Administrator and started the MSI package from there. This works.

HTH
    Alexej Kucher

u made my day!!!
    domingo, 6 de dezembro de 2009 22:03
  • Guys I had a real hard time getting this to work as a newbie with 64 bit computing and not really knowing that much about SQL Server at all.

For Windows 7 64 bit you have to use the 64 bit CMD prompt (I didn't even know there was a separate version) and then run this as administrator. So I did the following…
    • Sugerido como Resposta someonit quinta-feira, 7 de janeiro de 2010 16:52
    • Marcado como Resposta Alex Feng (SQL)Moderator quinta-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2010 09:33
    domingo, 13 de dezembro de 2009 00:32
  • Thanks for answer, this is working!
    domingo, 20 de dezembro de 2009 11:21

Yes this is works, thanks...
    domingo, 10 de janeiro de 2010 06:35
  • Hi Chris:

This seemed to have worked (after hours that ran into days of trying to resolve the problem).
    However, after creating the cmd shortcut, here is what occured under two seperate scenarios:
    1: If I simply clicked on the shortcut, the following command line appears:  C:\Windows\SysWOW64>

2: If I right clicked on it and "Ran As Administrator", the following command line appears: C:\Windows\system32>

I ran the program as the administrator from the system32 line and it seemed to have loaded correctly.

I'm just curious about how you and others view this somewhat confusing situation and whether or not I need to
    somehow load from the "WOW64" prompt line.

My Operating System is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Thank you.
    Joel
    domingo, 17 de janeiro de 2010 11:11
  • Well, trying to install SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi.
    O/S: WIN7 Pro 64 (fully updated to Jan 24th, 2009)

Created shortcut to cmd64, ran as Administrator.
    browsed to SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi

Still get error 29506.

I don't even really need this thing, I'm running down a rathole trying to move a db from C: to D:
    I keep getting:
    Unable to open the physical file "D:\Data\Databases\Blahblah\Blahblah.mdf". Operating system error 5: "5(error not found)".
    which is some kind of security permissions issue, but I granted the whole drive to everyone, all users just for fun and still no dice.
    You'd think that after so many windows versions, the error message might actually tell you something, rather than having to figure out what  Operating system error 5: "5(error not found)" really means. I need to build a database just to store error messages now...

Wasn't Win7 supposed to be "easy and smart"?

Next I'll be looking for my old version of DOS3.3, those were the days...

segunda-feira, 25 de janeiro de 2010 04:31
  • Worked for me as well. Thanks Chris
    segunda-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 2010 21:57

Thanks for your solution. It works perfectly
    We can win the race
    • Sugerido como Resposta aadamich sábado, 20 de fevereiro de 2010 08:39
    sábado, 20 de fevereiro de 2010 08:39
  • THANKS

Thanks for that, I now have the 64 bit msi installed on Windows 7 professional 64 bit
    quinta-feira, 4 de março de 2010 21:58
  • I thought I tried everything, except that I'm on Hyper-V/Windows 7 x64/VS2010.

I tried 4 different install/un-install sequences, before searching.  It works!

domingo, 21 de março de 2010 04:36
  • Thanks, again.

It worked for me too......  :)

quarta-feira, 31 de março de 2010 05:42
  • Thanks so much Chris Mck!!

Been trying to figure this out for a few months.  tried everything, but couldn't get it to work.  followed your steps and it finally works!  Only three weeks left in this class but it feels good just to get that monkey off my back and not have to work on my laptop anymore.

sábado, 3 de abril de 2010 19:29

HTH
    Alexej Kucher

This worked for me on a 64bit Vista Home Premium so thanks a lot!
    domingo, 11 de abril de 2010 01:50

HTH
    Alexej Kucher

This worked for me on a 64bit Vista Home Premium so thanks a lot!
    domingo, 11 de abril de 2010 01:50
  • Chris,

Thanks for the simple detailed answer. Fixed a problem I have been working on for several hours. I wish you much happiness and prosperity.

quinta-feira, 15 de abril de 2010 04:44
  • Chris,

Thank you for your post about using the command prompt. It worked like a charm.

- Vinh

terça-feira, 4 de maio de 2010 17:22
  • Chris (and others who helped)

You are such a lifesaver!!!  This might have taken me days to figure out, but your instructions were clear and well explained.  Wonderful!  Keep up the great work.

With much appreciation for a job well-done

CJ Rhoads

quarta-feira, 9 de junho de 2010 23:57
  • i squandered about the whole PM trying to install sql server. Microsoft product sometime just AMAZING.... He he.  
    domingo, 13 de junho de 2010 19:58
  • Chris,

Many thanks for putting this on the forum.   When I failed, I searched for the error and came straight to this page and your detailed instructions.

Thanks

clare

terça-feira, 20 de julho de 2010 04:19
  • Guys I had a real hard time getting this to work as a newbie with 64 bit computing
    For Windows 7 64 bit you have to use the 64 bit CMD prompt
    This NOT a 64 Bit CMD in this directory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

quarta-feira, 15 de setembro de 2010 13:22
  • I have struggeled for some hours now and tried a bunch of tips - this really made it. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    quinta-feira, 23 de setembro de 2010 17:35
  • Thanks a lot mate, it helped me great. I will remember this method as a Win7 64 bit user, whenever things goes wrong.
    quarta-feira, 6 de outubro de 2010 08:59
  • thank you SO much! i searched so many answers and yours was so simple! and even better it WORKED!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!
    domingo, 10 de outubro de 2010 09:10
  • this worked for me also, thank you

Austin
    segunda-feira, 11 de outubro de 2010 11:32
  • Thanks, this worked for me, except tor the right clicking on the desktop.  I had to go to the address and create a shortcut from there.  I have had other installs that failed because it said I didn't have administrato privilages (which I do), and this should eliminate those in the future.  Thanks again.
    quarta-feira, 13 de outubro de 2010 15:06
  • Thank you ..............

I can able to instal it on my computer, as directed by you

Thank you again

quarta-feira, 10 de novembro de 2010 09:27
  • Thank you very much! This works great!
    quinta-feira, 13 de janeiro de 2011 17:10
  • Or install it as the local administrator.  Worked for me
    segunda-feira, 24 de janeiro de 2011 19:05
  • Thank you very much
    sexta-feira, 28 de janeiro de 2011 15:41
  • Thank you very much for the work around . Starting CMD shell  as administrator has worked. 
    segunda-feira, 28 de fevereiro de 2011 15:14
  • Thanks, it worked for me on Windows 7 (64 bit)
    quarta-feira, 9 de março de 2011 06:57
  • Thanks a lot. It works for me!
    quarta-feira, 9 de março de 2011 13:48
  • thanks for the workaround - it saved my client's "life".  Too bad Microsoft doesn't know or care - this cost me 3 hours!
    terça-feira, 5 de abril de 2011 21:19
  • thank you so much, It works for me

your Information was really helpfull

domingo, 24 de abril de 2011 01:32
  • Thanks a lot! It works !!

It can a little bit easier; open a command prompt as administrator and open the downloaded file in this dos window.

- Window button

- cmd

- right click : "run as administrator"

- go to the location of your file

- enter the full file name and press enter

- setup works perfect !

again thanks a lot for the tip

terça-feira, 14 de junho de 2011 13:41
  • Microsoft is a joke.
    sábado, 25 de junho de 2011 21:44
  • Thank you so much. This works like a charm
    sexta-feira, 1 de julho de 2011 22:18

great it function very well. Tanks....
    sábado, 2 de julho de 2011 13:20
  • It work for me on WIndows 2008 R2.

Thanks in advance!

MCP Windows XP / MCP ISA 2004 - Não esqueca de avaliar a resposta!
    quarta-feira, 13 de julho de 2011 17:56

Thanks a lot dude, I was struggling with installing all possible versions of Studio, SQL server just to be able to run SQL management studio and got the same error above. Thanks again for your solution
    sexta-feira, 20 de janeiro de 2012 23:36
  • This is how it worked for me

Had to move the file in drive C, after running cmd (command prompt) As Admin, I entered this text:

msiexec.exe -i C:\the file name

pressed enter.

Hope it helped.
    • Sugerido como Resposta Tina86 domingo, 15 de abril de 2012 01:33
    domingo, 15 de abril de 2012 01:32
  • AFTER ENTERING FULL PATH ..WHAT WE HAVE TO DO?
    quarta-feira, 9 de maio de 2012 18:05
  • Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Users\Kamal\Downloads\SQLServer2005_SSMSEEmsi
    'C:\Users\Kamal\Downloads\SQLServer2005_SSMSEEmsi' is not recognized as an inter
    nal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Users\Kamal\Downloads\SQLServer2005_SSMSEEmsi

got an error

quarta-feira, 9 de maio de 2012 18:11
  • Chris - thanx alot man, ur a lifesaver!!!!

quinta-feira, 17 de maio de 2012 17:50
  • Thank you, this works and really saved me some time!
    quinta-feira, 31 de maio de 2012 18:36
  • Thanks Chris, it worked...
    quarta-feira, 22 de agosto de 2012 02:51
  • Excellent, it works for me, thank you
    sábado, 22 de setembro de 2012 16:19
  • Thanks man. Good job. It helped me
    quarta-feira, 7 de novembro de 2012 14:36
  • I agree this is a bug.  (NO! A feature!)  Typical MS horse dung.  The problem with Microslop is that it grew too fast.  It tried to the end all and be all in the microcomputing game.  I have been in this industry for over twenty seven years.  I actually wrote my first software on a Commodore vic20. Egads!
    sexta-feira, 9 de novembro de 2012 04:54
  • Thank you Chris! 3 years later....still works like a charm on Windows 8 64-bit!!!
    sexta-feira, 4 de janeiro de 2013 06:18
  • worked for me as well! thanks guys!
    quarta-feira, 14 de agosto de 2013 19:40
  • Thanks Nilashis.... It worked for me as well...cheers............ :)

-Lalith

domingo, 6 de outubro de 2013 11:19