none
SQL 2005 Notification Services installed on Server 2008 R2 OS

Pertanyaan

• After installing SQL 2005 x64 on Server 2008 R2 OS, our application instance will not start up. We simply get an error 1359 and nothing logged to the event log, even if we turn up the logging to verbose we don't get any information. We do a trace to the database and see it hit the database to make some queries, but then the service stops with the error. We know we are in the minority of people who actually used the product, but anyone with some input would be appreciated.
    11 Nopember 2011 15:04

Semua Balasan

• Hi Andy,

It seems that the issue is not related to SQL Server Notification service. Do you mean that the SQL Server service cannot start? If that is the case, please view the setup log files to see whether the SQL Server instance has been installed successfully or not. For more information: How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files.

In addition, you can try to start the service by the command prompt for troubleshooting, the syntax is as below. You can configure the startup options, for more information: Using the SQL Server Service Startup Options.

sqlservr.exe -d C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf  -l C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf -e C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG

Please share the error messages here from steps above. If I have misunderstood you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

17 Nopember 2011 2:21
  • No I do not mean the SQL Engine. When you use Notification Services it creates an application, which in turn creates a windows service. It is the application windows service that will not start up. Our solution worked just fine on Windows Server 2003, the only thing different for our configuration is Server 2008 R2 OS (which is x64, but we installed x64 SQL 2005). We know we are in the very minority of people who actually used the product, in fact the last time I was in Redmond when SQL 2008 was still in beta and learned the product was being removed from the line up I was told we could get the source code, wish I still had that guys contact info.

We are going to be writing our own matching engine, but for now we just wanted to get on the latest OS. Anyone else have any ideas here?

Thanks for the reply, we did open a premier case to get some "official" help on this and still are waiting for direction there.

17 Nopember 2011 4:29