none
Error installing SQL Server 2005 on Windows XP

שאלה

•  

I am attempting to install SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition on my computer.  I've installed Visual Studio 2005 on my machine, but the installation for SQL keeps erroring out.  I am getting a red 'x' for MSXML6 and SQL SERVER DATABASE SERVICES.  I need help, because I have done everything that I can think to try and I am getting frustrated.

John

יום חמישי 31 ינואר 2008 20:01

תשובות

• Hi all,

I had the same problem while trying to install SQL2005 Workstation Components on a new XPSP3 machine. As I saw a 1605 error for MSXML (This action is only valid for products that are currently installed) I checked it within Add/Remove Programs. There I saw that MSXML6 Parser is installed, but I couldn't repair/uninstall it for it wasn't installed !??!

In the registry I saw that there was no SourceList subkey for MSXML - so I simply backed up the key and deleted it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\B8499BEA2FF49C7499E0741044290AEF]

Then MSXML was vanished from Add/Remove Programs and I tried to install the Workstation Components again. When it came to MSXML6 a window with a file protection error popped up (of course) and I said OK. Then the installation went on and finished successfully

Later I checked for the regkey again and it was there again with a SourceList subkey - and within Add/Remove Programs I am able to repair/uninstall it. So that was it.

Regards, Chris

יום שישי 27 יוני 2008 16:13

כל התגובות

• I believe there is a "report" button that will give you more details..

Also, SQL Server 2005 has better error logging for each component that is installed.  You can look at the error logs that are generated during an installation.  Here is an article that describes the process for trobleshooting an installation, and/or reading the error log.

Let me know if that helps..

יום חמישי 31 ינואר 2008 20:36
  • Guess I should add the link prior to hitting submit..

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702.aspx

יום חמישי 31 ינואר 2008 20:36
  • What is the exact error message ? pls post the contents of the summary.txt files to troubleshoot further..

- Deepak
    יום שישי 01 פברואר 2008 01:36
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.1399.06
    ==============================
    OS Version      : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    Time            : Fri Feb 01 09:20:40 2008

Machine         : APLPARDICK
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
    Product Version : 9.00.1399.06
    Install         : Successful
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_SQLSupport_1.log
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_SQLNCLI_1.log
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product         : Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components
    Product Version : 11.0.6558.0
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_OWC11_1.log
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_SqlWriter_1.log
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward compatibility
    Product Version : 8.05.1054
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_BackwardsCompat_1.log

SQL Server Setup failed. For more information, review the Setup log file in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt.

Time            : Fri Feb 01 09:23:12 2008

List of log files:
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_Core(Local).log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_SQLSupport_1.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_SQLNCLI_1.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_OWC11_1.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_SqlWriter_1.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_BackwardsCompat_1.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_MSXML6_1.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_Datastore.xml
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_.NET Framework 2.0.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_Core.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_.NET Framework 2.0 LangPack.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_.NET Framework Upgrade Advisor.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_.NET Framework Upgrade Advisor LangPack.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_.NET Framework Windows Installer.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_.NET Framework Windows Installer LangPack.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_SNAC.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_Support.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_SCC.log
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_APLPARDICK_WI.log

יום שישי 01 פברואר 2008 15:27
  • I could not see the entries related to database engine in the summary.txt file..pls ensure that while installing you have chosen database engine..refer this link and step 7 for the same, http://sql-articles.com/index.php?page=articles/install/insql.htm

- Deepak
    יום שישי 01 פברואר 2008 17:16
  • My "step 7"  looks identical to the sample from the installation guide that you referenced.  Checked was 'SQL Server Database Services', 'Integration Services', 'Workstation components, Books Online and development tools'.

I also have screen shots of the components that failed at the end of the process.

יום שישי 01 פברואר 2008 19:57
  • Below is the information that the notification program sent to Microsoft.

EventType : sql90setup     P1 : unknown     P2 : 0x645     P3 : unknown    
    P4 : 0x645     P5 : unknown     P6 : unknown     P7 : msxml6.msi@

יום שישי 01 פברואר 2008 21:10
  • I get the same message when installing express 2005 on a xpp sp2 machine.
    יום שני 04 פברואר 2008 19:28
  • I am also having this exact same problem.  I've even reformatted the machine I'm working on to just to make sure it wasn't a conflict with one of my other software packages.  With nothing else installed I get the exact same problem. 

I choose "SQL Server Database Services", "Reporting Services"  and "Workstation components, Books Online and Development tools" as my components.

I select "Default instance"

I select "Use built-in system account" (currently logged in as Administrator with full Admin rights)

I choosed "Mixed-Mode" and enter a 6 character password for sa

I leave "SQL collations" set to "Dictionary order, case-insensitive..."

I leave "Install the default configurations" checked

I leave Error and usage report settings unchecked

Once I install there are setup failed messages for: "MSXML6", "SQL Server Database Services", "Reporting Services" and "Workstation Components, Books online and Development Tools"

My summary.txt looks like the following:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.1399.06
    ==============================
    OS Version      : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    Time            : Wed Feb 06 13:49:29 2008

Machine         : METRICSCOMPUTER
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_SQLSupport_1.log
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_OWC11_1.log
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_BackwardsCompat_1.log
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_SQLSupport_2.log
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_SQLNCLI_1.log
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_OWC11_2.log
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_SqlWriter_1.log
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_BackwardsCompat_2.log
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_SQLSupport_3.log
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_SQLNCLI_2.log
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_OWC11_3.log
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Books Online (English)
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_BOL_1.log
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_BackwardsCompat_3.log
    Product         : SQLXML4
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0004_METRICSCOMPUTER_SQLXML4_1.log

יום חמישי 07 פברואר 2008 18:57
  • I have the same problem, anyone already resolve that?

Anyone can you help me?

Please let me know at: cvazquez@proximitas.com.ar

שבת 21 יוני 2008 01:47
  • My problem was that I was trying to install it on an HP PC and there was something in their "branded" (i.e. garbage) pre-loaded version of XP.  I had to install from a normal MSDN version of Windows XP and it worked fine.
    שבת 21 יוני 2008 02:19
  • Thanks for the response, I have a laptop HP 6910p, but I format all and install a Win XP Prof SP3 from "zero" its something wrong because I am trying to uninstall from add/remove programs "Microsoft SQL Server 2005" but still on the list Sad and also I cant see on the list in the Windows Installer Clean Up software.

Another sugest for me?

שבת 21 יוני 2008 02:25
  • Hi all,

I had the same problem while trying to install SQL2005 Workstation Components on a new XPSP3 machine. As I saw a 1605 error for MSXML (This action is only valid for products that are currently installed) I checked it within Add/Remove Programs. There I saw that MSXML6 Parser is installed, but I couldn't repair/uninstall it for it wasn't installed !??!

In the registry I saw that there was no SourceList subkey for MSXML - so I simply backed up the key and deleted it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\B8499BEA2FF49C7499E0741044290AEF]

Then MSXML was vanished from Add/Remove Programs and I tried to install the Workstation Components again. When it came to MSXML6 a window with a file protection error popped up (of course) and I said OK. Then the installation went on and finished successfully

Later I checked for the regkey again and it was there again with a SourceList subkey - and within Add/Remove Programs I am able to repair/uninstall it. So that was it.

Regards, Chris

יום שישי 27 יוני 2008 16:13
  • The above response regarding the registry key worked.  Same error, same model and SP3 issues.

Thank you Chris.
    יום שלישי 22 ספטמבר 2009 18:23
  • I Spent Ages, banging my head against a brick wall trying to get the same error sorted out. I was also trying to install SQL Server 2005 on a HP machine with XP SP3 running. After spending about 12 hours trying everything I was about to give up! When I stumbled across this post.

It fixed my problem, MSXML6, SQL Server Database Services, and Reporting Services all Installed successfully!!!!!!

Thank you CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    יום שישי 02 אוקטובר 2009 15:15
  • Thank you veeeeeery match CHRIS!!!!
    יום חמישי 15 יולי 2010 10:25