none
Trainig Kit 70-432 - first lesson first problem

Question

• Hello Guys

I am newbie to SQL 2008, SQL at all :)

That is why I start study Trainig Kit 70-432. I have SQL 2008 server on virtual machine with 2008 server.

I have to install AdventureWorks2008 and AdventureWorksDW2008 from CodePlex website. I have not find those databases.

I see there AdventureWorks2008_SR4.exe and SQL2008.AdventureWorksLT2008_Only_Database.zip

When I used those databases and code (from Training Kit)

EXEC sp_configure 'filestream_access_level' , 2;
    GO
    RECONFIGURE
    RESTORE DATABASE AdventureWorks FROM DISK='C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorks2008.bak' WITH RECOVERY;
    GO
    RESTORE DATABASE AdventureWorks FROM DISK='C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorksDW2008.bak' WITH RECOVERY;
    GO

I received errors 
    Configuration option 'filestream access level' changed from 2 to 2. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.
    Msg 3201, Level 16, State 2, Line 2
    Cannot open backup device 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorks.bak'. Operating system error 2(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105).
    Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
    RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    Msg 3201, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    Cannot open backup device 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorksDW2008.bak'. Operating system error 2(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105).
    Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I will be thankful for any suggestion and help 

dimanche 18 avril 2010 12:52

Réponses

• Hi,

The instructions provided in the Training Kit are based on a preliminary method we used to install AdventureWorks2008.  Due to some problems we encountered with that method, the installation has since changed and the instructions in the book are invallid.

You can successfully install AdventureWorks2008 from the source that you found: AdventureWorks2008_SR4.exe.   When you run the executable, you will get a Data Selection page,  please verify that there is a check mark next to AdventureWorks OLTP 2008  and not a warning sign.   If there is a warning sign, click the More Information button and correct the issues it lists.

Also, if you run into other errors, they may be Permissions related.  You may need to run the executable with administrator permissions.

Hope that helps,

Gail

Gail Erickson [MS] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marqué comme réponse roomasek lundi 19 avril 2010 08:03
    dimanche 18 avril 2010 20:09
    Modérateur

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

The instructions provided in the Training Kit are based on a preliminary method we used to install AdventureWorks2008.  Due to some problems we encountered with that method, the installation has since changed and the instructions in the book are invallid.

You can successfully install AdventureWorks2008 from the source that you found: AdventureWorks2008_SR4.exe.   When you run the executable, you will get a Data Selection page,  please verify that there is a check mark next to AdventureWorks OLTP 2008  and not a warning sign.   If there is a warning sign, click the More Information button and correct the issues it lists.

Also, if you run into other errors, they may be Permissions related.  You may need to run the executable with administrator permissions.

Hope that helps,

Gail

Gail Erickson [MS] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marqué comme réponse roomasek lundi 19 avril 2010 08:03
    dimanche 18 avril 2010 20:09
    Modérateur
  • Thanks Gail for your help

I found this topic as well

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlserversamples/thread/c97c32ee-3e4c-4bd4-9720-9a7589acea15

lundi 19 avril 2010 08:04
  • Hi Gail,

I have the same problem as roomasek. My question is, how many databases to be used to complete the book? Only AdventureWorks OLTP 2008 or all the databases in the SR4.exe file?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    mercredi 27 juillet 2011 21:21
  • I believe that you only need the OLTP (AdventureWorks2008 database) and the data warehouse (AdventureWorksDW2008)  for the training kit.  You can skip the LT version and the Analysis Services project.  

Please make sure that you follow the prerequisites  information described on the page: http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/releases/view/37109.  It will save you a great deal of trouble during the installation.

Gail

Gail Erickson [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    mercredi 27 juillet 2011 21:29
    Modérateur