none
PowerPivot Install failing on create PowerPivot Service App

Question

• Hi there,

we are having issues installing PowerPivot 2012, on our windows 2008 R2 enterprise server.

SharePoint enterprise is already installed, as is analysis services and SQL 2012.

It fails on the step below, any ideas?

Thanks,

Jack

20/04/12 16:29:15:0377 Verbose: Execution Assembly for new AppDomain: Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SharePoint.Integration.ConfigurationProxy, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91:

21/04/12 04:31:13:0960 Verbose: CreateServiceApplicationInstance.Execute(Failed)

Failure while running action: Create PowerPivot Service Application

21/04/12 04:31:12:9350 High: Failure

21/04/12 04:31:12:9350 High: The timer job did not complete running within the allotted time.

21/04/12 04:31:13:0960 High: Exception while executing action CreateServiceApplicationInstance: Object '/4a5828bf_218c_4c01_9556_b75ed752b4b5/hknh_tnfsl3zdwy6x3t8xeq3_23.rem' has been disconnected or does not exist at the server.

lundi 23 avril 2012 12:40

Réponses

• What's your meaning of "our PowerPivots are not found at the moment"?

Challen Fu

TechNet Community Support

I am sorry about the lack of information. I was unsure how quickly I would get a response.

We had an existing instance of powerpivot that needed to be upgraded to the full production 2012 version. After the sql install, we went through the PowerPivot configuration tool, to upgrade PowerPivot. After the upgrade, our PowerPivot data was no longer refreshing to external systems. You could open the excel files in read only.

We uninstalled PowerPivot analysis services and sharepoint integration completely, and installed again. We then tried the PowerPivot config tool again. It got stuck on creating the PowerPivor service application. We were able to manually create that in Central Admin, still did not fix our refresh problem.

After another uninstall/install, the tool failed again at the PowerPivot service application creation stage but using powershell I saw that there were a couple of service applications created for powerpivot. They had not been deleted properly.

I then used powershell to remove the service application connection to the web app. After doing that, I used powershell to then remove that service application comepletely. We rebooted, and ran the config tool again, it succeeded fianlly.

Add or remove a service application connection to a Web application (SharePoint Server 2010)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee704550.aspx

Delete a service application (SharePoint Server 2010)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee704553.aspx#ProcWPS

The only odd thing I see now, and it looks to have been created by the PowerPivot install is an alias in the SQL config. It added an alias for our_server_name/powerpivot that routed back to our_server_name

It also included that url in our registry setting that points to the SahrePoint config database. This issue sidetracked us for a while, when troubleshooting the powerpivot fun.

Jack

• Marqué comme réponse Jack O'Brien vendredi 27 avril 2012 13:13
    mercredi 25 avril 2012 17:58

Toutes les réponses

• Was able to manually create the Service App, but our PowerPivots are not found at the moment.
    lundi 23 avril 2012 13:40

Challen Fu

mardi 24 avril 2012 03:08
    Modérateur

Challen Fu

I am sorry about the lack of information. I was unsure how quickly I would get a response.

We had an existing instance of powerpivot that needed to be upgraded to the full production 2012 version. After the sql install, we went through the PowerPivot configuration tool, to upgrade PowerPivot. After the upgrade, our PowerPivot data was no longer refreshing to external systems. You could open the excel files in read only.

We uninstalled PowerPivot analysis services and sharepoint integration completely, and installed again. We then tried the PowerPivot config tool again. It got stuck on creating the PowerPivor service application. We were able to manually create that in Central Admin, still did not fix our refresh problem.

After another uninstall/install, the tool failed again at the PowerPivot service application creation stage but using powershell I saw that there were a couple of service applications created for powerpivot. They had not been deleted properly.

I then used powershell to remove the service application connection to the web app. After doing that, I used powershell to then remove that service application comepletely. We rebooted, and ran the config tool again, it succeeded fianlly.

Add or remove a service application connection to a Web application (SharePoint Server 2010)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee704550.aspx

Delete a service application (SharePoint Server 2010)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee704553.aspx#ProcWPS

The only odd thing I see now, and it looks to have been created by the PowerPivot install is an alias in the SQL config. It added an alias for our_server_name/powerpivot that routed back to our_server_name

It also included that url in our registry setting that points to the SahrePoint config database. This issue sidetracked us for a while, when troubleshooting the powerpivot fun.

Jack

• Marqué comme réponse Jack O'Brien vendredi 27 avril 2012 13:13
    mercredi 25 avril 2012 17:58