none
Access reporting services on a different machine

Question

• Hi all,

I have a machine running SSRS 2008r2 and have successfully deployed reports to this machine. Everything runs dandy, I can see the reports in report manager on this machine and all looks fine. Now I'd like to send someone a report link (Urlaccess) and let this person see my reports from the others persons machine. However this other machine may not be in the same domain ..

I know that this other person needs to authenticate on my machine and I also assume that I may need to enable a different authentication mode, not sure which one at this point.

Ideally I would like this other machine to be able to see the reports without the need to retype credentials every time they refresh a report or call a new report in the same folder...

hints much appreciated.

Thx

Ludwig

samedi 14 avril 2012 18:02

Réponses

• Hi Piotr,
    Reporting Services provides default authentication based on Windows integrated security and assumes trusted relationships where client and network resources are in the same domain or a trusted domain. You can change the authentication settings to narrow the range of accepted requests to specific security packages for Windows integrated security, use Basic authentication:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281309(v=sql.105).aspx
    For further assistance, please provide more detailed information about the error message in the log file.

Lola

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

lundi 16 avril 2012 09:28
    Modérateur

Toutes les réponses

• You may use custom or forms authentication in the SSRS.

It is described in the following article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281383%28v=sql.105%29.aspx

samedi 14 avril 2012 18:32
  • Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your response.

I tried basic authentication just by adding the <RSWindowsBasic/> into the authentication types of the rsreportserver.config file and restarted the SSRS service but when I called the report from remotely it did not prompt me for credentials and the report still runs like before on the local machine because my windows account provides sufficient permissions. The remote machine does not throw an error either, just the regular site not found message...

Any idea on troubleshooting this one?

Isn't basic authentication supposed to prompt with every request, even when changing just a filter value?

hints appreciated.

Thx

L.

dimanche 15 avril 2012 00:42
  • Any authentication should create session cookie, so you need to provide password only once.

If you are getting "site not found message" I would rather suspect some other issue, not authentication problem.

dimanche 15 avril 2012 08:37
  • Hi Piotr,
    Reporting Services provides default authentication based on Windows integrated security and assumes trusted relationships where client and network resources are in the same domain or a trusted domain. You can change the authentication settings to narrow the range of accepted requests to specific security packages for Windows integrated security, use Basic authentication:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281309(v=sql.105).aspx
    For further assistance, please provide more detailed information about the error message in the log file.

Lola

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

lundi 16 avril 2012 09:28
    Modérateur