none
What are the Best Practice for drive partitioning for SQL 2008 R2 on VMware ESXi 4.1?

Pregunta

• What are the best practices for drive partitioning for a dedicated SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2 in a virtual (VMWare ESXi 4.1) Environment?

Background info:

How should I partition the Drive - I'm thinking 2 drives - C ( 80 GB's) & D (100 GB's) - we do not have a ton of data we have to deal with... about 15 GB's of data total - Comes to about 50 GB's with the backups).  How many GB's of ram are recommended - I'm leaning toward 4GB's of ram... not sure much benefit for more (my understanding with VMWare is this can be increased later easily also. ;-)

We just set up a virtual Dev box with Windows Server 2008 R2 and (after doing a ton of research on best practices) added SQL Server 2008 R2. This worked great. FYI - The Dev box was 50 Gigs and we used up 38 or so just doing the basic install.

miércoles, 07 de marzo de 2012 18:29

Respuestas

• Hi Danimal1,

For best practice to partition the drive, you may not only consider the current data volume, but also the potential increase of data in a finite period of time based on your business requirement. To approach this, you can do the proper analysis on data growth trend by using Disk Usage collection set on Data collector in Windows Performance Monitor.

As for location for different type of data, it is appropriate to separate data in SQL Server from Windows Operating System. Meanwhile, it is also recommend allocating system databases on different disk from the user defined databases. The disk for database backups has no restrict, you can even move data to additional storages if the disk is out of size. For more information, please see: Hard Drive Configurations for SQL Server.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

• Marcado como respuesta Stephanie Lv lunes, 19 de marzo de 2012 8:15
    martes, 13 de marzo de 2012 3:04