none
Designing partitions - database already exists error message

Question

• I am designing aggregations for new partitions in a table in my cube.  When I press the Start button in the Set Aggregation Options I get an error: 

Errors in the metadata manager.  The database with the name of 'My Cube Name' already exists in the 'Server' server.  To restart the process, resolve the problem, and then click Start.

I KNOW I have a database with that name.  I'm workind with that database.  WHAT CONFLICT?????  I don't want a second cube, I want to add a partition to the existing database without changing the name.

What's up??????
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Just a sanity check - have you already created the new partition, and selected it in the Aggregation Design Wizard, before pressing "Start"?

SQL Server 2005 Books Online (November 2008)

- Deepak
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:06 PM
  • I tried creating the partition then creating aggregates as well as creating aggregates as part of the partition creation wizard.  Both methods failed.

Do I have to delete my cube and start all over?  I don't mind doing this.  I've just never had to do so before.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:14 PM
  • ".. Do I have to delete my cube and start all over? .." - I haven't personally encountered this error, so not sure whether it's caused by metadata corruption. Maybe someone else in the Forum has seen this before - in any case, you could try creating a new cube from scratch and see if the problem is still present, while retaining the original cube.
    - Deepak
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:24 PM
  • I suppose I could do that.  I'm still in developement...what's the worst that could happen?  LOL

I was just confused by the error message.....
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Hi John,

Have you read the following post before?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/thread/2c3bac40-ecb3-424d-90e5-385894845e99

Hope this helps,

Raymond

• Marked as answer by JohnSLG Monday, March 01, 2010 1:59 PM
    Monday, March 01, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Did you ever manage to get this fixed up? That other forum post doesn't really provide any information on how to fix it, just to change your deployment DB and try again (which isn't even working for me!).
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Sorry....I know I fixed this but I can't remember what I did. 
    Friday, July 20, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Sorry....I know I fixed this but I can't remember what I did. 

That's cool I figured it out myself. I had to create a new project based off the live DB.

I'm not sure why the older saved project file wasn't working. Just one of those (many) things I guess.

Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:31 AM