none
Setting up the new server

General discussion

• Hi

I need some suggestions on setting up the new server. We have brand new server which is going to replace the old produciton server. It is 64 bit with windows 2003 CPU2.13 GHz and has 36 GB of RAM with two local drives.

I am trying to install SQL 2005 on the server and I need some suggestions on how to set up the system databases, user data files, log files and temp db.

I am planning to keep the temp db in its seperate drive, user data files in one drive (SAN), operating system files are in C drive. Can I keep the system databases master, model, msdb and the log files on the same dirve (Local drive)? please let me know. Thanks!

we are using the database mirroring and i have the new server for the DR also. Can I change the new SA password for these servers. Why i am asking is we will have the same server for Witness server. Is it going to be a problem on Witness server?
    kp
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:10 PM

All replies

• If you have a brand new server, have you considered using Windows Server 2008 for the OS, and using SQL Server 2008 ?  Both of these have lots of improvements that are very useful for database mirroring.

Whether or not you are using SQL 2005 or 2008, do you have Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition? That makes some differences on the things you should do.

You should not put your transaction log files on your C: drive. This would be very bad for both I/O and space reasons. Your data, transaction log and tempDB files should all be on separate logical drives on your SAN. Try to use RAID10 for the log file drive instead of RAID5.

The sa password does not really have anything to do with database mirroring. You generally use the SQL Server Service account (which should be a Windows Domain account) for communication in database mirroring.

http://glennberrysqlperformance.spaces.live.com/ Please mark as the answer if this post solved your issue.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:17 PM
  •  Actually we have some issues with the current SQL server and planning to move to the new server. We don't have that much time to test everything. Thanks for your suggestion anyway. 

We are using SQL server 2005 standard edition with windows 2003. We have all three local drives on the server. On C drive we have the operating system files, page file etc...

On the other two drives I am planning to keep temp db on one of those and I have one more left for the System databases. I have enough space for the log files also in that drive. So can I keep both system databases other than temp db and the log files in the same drive?

How do I check the disks in which RAID the drives are? Is it consider for local drives also or only for SAN?

How do I know which one is local drive and which one is external drive SAN?

Could you please post some links documents on this topic? thanks!

kp
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Unless you have a very, very low volume workload, or this is a development or test server, you do not want to have your transaction log files on an internal hard drive (with one spindle).  Space is not the issue. I/O capacity is the issue. A single 10K SAS or SCSI drive can usually support about 100 I/O per second. This will not be enough I/O capacity to support a busy database server.

If you are using a SAN or direct attached storage (DAS), you should ask your SAN engineer (if you have one) what the RAID level is for any logical drives that are presented to your Windows host.  With DAS, you can go into the RAID controller's BIOS and determine what the RAID level is. With a SAN, there will be some type of utility program that will let you see that.

Using Disk Manager in Windows will let you see which drives are local and which ones are DAS or SAN.
    http://glennberrysqlperformance.spaces.live.com/ Please mark as the answer if this post solved your issue.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Thanks for your information. I have one more question about the memory settings.

For our current production SQL server we have 12 GB of ram and out of that we set up the max server memory to 9 GB and min server memory to 0.

For the new server we have 36 GB of ram. Can I start with 15 GB of max server memory?
    kp
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:06 PM