none
SQL 2005 SP2 (CTP) installation

Question

• Hello

I am trying to install PPS (CTP) this requires SQL 2005 SP2 (CTP) but during the install of the SP2 I get the following error while trying install it:

Unexpected Error Occured

Unable to create backup Folder

Next thing is that A Send don't sent error is created for the hotfix.exe. The install terminates at this point.

I am working in a VPC image, logged on as Administrator, anyone give a hint as to what this could be

Many thanks

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hotfix.exe was written to use UNC paths to reference files in the payload, as well as files on the local machine. If the user turns off default network shares, then the OS will not resolve the UNC paths that Hotfix references, and the execution fails. In this case, SP2 fails to install.

The workaround is to have the customer re-establish their default network shares. This is not an obvious workaround, and it is not always clear which drive(s) need to have shares re-established since the SFXCab will extract to their temp folder.

This problem will be fixed in the final release of SP2.

Thanks

Radu Singer

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 11:20 PM

All replies

• Hotfix.exe was written to use UNC paths to reference files in the payload, as well as files on the local machine. If the user turns off default network shares, then the OS will not resolve the UNC paths that Hotfix references, and the execution fails. In this case, SP2 fails to install.

The workaround is to have the customer re-establish their default network shares. This is not an obvious workaround, and it is not always clear which drive(s) need to have shares re-established since the SFXCab will extract to their temp folder.

This problem will be fixed in the final release of SP2.

Thanks

Radu Singer

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 11:20 PM
  • We had the same problem. We recognized that C$ share did not exist. We  created the C$ share. But because of default readonly permissions the problem still exists.

After giving read-write share permission to C$, then the setup succeeded.

Regards

Kubilay

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

I cannoot get SP2 to install when the default drive is not C:...

That is I have a multi partition drive and my Windows 2003 Server is installed on D: (Win XP on c:)

SQL Server 2005 is installed on Windows 2003 Server and SP1 installed correctly...

I have checked all Windows Shares and they all exist correctly...

I still cannot install SP2

regards

Sean\

Saturday, December 30, 2006 10:05 AM