redundant attribute relationships ISSUE

Question

• This is my dim_prod table in SSAS 2005:

PartNum (key), Style, Category, Family

123, Style A, Cat X, Book

124, Style A, Cat X, Book

125, Style A, Cat Y, Book

126, Style B, Cat Y, Book

There is many to many relationship between Style and Category. My attributes look like this:

PartNum

Style

Category

Style

Category

Category

Family

I get a "This dimension contains one or more redundant attribute relationships." warning. It wants me to remove the relationship between "PartNum -> Category". Is there a way to a void the redundancy here? How do I go about it? Thanks.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:37 PM

All replies

• I think that it complains "PartNum->Category" because you already have PartNum->Stype and Style-> Cateogry relationships.  By transitivity of relationship, it automatically implies PatNum->Cateogry, so it is not necessary to define PatNum->Cateogry, so you could remove this one.  But this is just a warning, I am not sure what kind of side effect it might have.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Actually, I have a many to many relationship between Style and Category.... Whether or not removing the "PartNum -> Category" relationship gives me the wrong answers. What do you do here?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

One way you should concatenate your attribute with all its parent attribute to avoid duplicates.

You could either do it in the table directly

PartNum (key), Style, Category, Family

123, Style A, Style A - Cat X, Style A - Cat X - Book

124, Style A, Style A - Cat X, Style A - Cat X - Book

125, Style A, Style A - Cat Y, Style A - Cat Y - Book

126, Style B, Style B - Cat Y, Style B - Cat Y - Book

or you could use collection keys when defining Category and Family attributes

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:08 PM
    Answerer
  •  

Thanks Yongli...

"or you could use collection keys when defining Category and Family attributes"

Would you please elaborate a bit more on how to do this?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

For example, you could configure key for the Category attribute by using collectin key option, and where you could choose PartNum and Category two fields as your key.

I will be traveling.  So good luck with that.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:04 PM
    Answerer