none
Adding a new instance on a Active\Passive SQL2008 Cluster

Question

• I have a SQL2008 (Windows Server 2008) cluster with currently one SQL instance on it. I would like to add a second SQL 2008 instance on the cluster. I know it needs it's own IP.  What do I need to do overall? How do I install it? Is it the same where I install a new "named" instance on Node A and then do the same on Node B?  Maybe someone knows a good resource out there that takes you through this?

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Installation procedure for new named instance is the same as previous instance. You will be installing new named instance. Besides a new ip address you should have disk groups for new named SQL Server 2008 instance.

Take a look installing SQL Server 2008 on a Windows Server 2008 cluster part from:

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1709

Hope this help.

BR,

JoukoK

• Marked as answer by Denka Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:34 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Thanks JoukoK. I used this very good step by step process in mssqltips to install the active\passive cluster. I'm wondering if I can install the new instance and have the db files live on the same disk groups that I currently have for the default instance? They have enough space. Or at least have the 2 instances share the same logic drives (LUNs) for tempdb and tlogs.

Denka
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:55 PM
  • I'm wondering if I can install the new instance and have the db files live on the same disk groups that I currently have for the default instance? They have enough space. Or at least have the 2 instances share the same logic drives (LUNs) for tempdb and tlogs.

That is not possible. Currently only one instance per cluster resource group is allowed.

This may be possible in future releases:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/283681/allow-multiple-instances-per-cluster-disk-group-on-a-sql-cluster

BR,

JoukoK
    • Marked as answer by Denka Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:34 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Gotcha. Thanks again!
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:33 PM
  • JokkoK,

Would you happed to know of a similarly in depth article that covers adding a new instance on a SQL2008 server running on a Windows 2003 Cluster?

Thanks in advance,

Tech-Mom

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:26 PM