none
Looking for a single redistributable for x86 and x64 installs

Question

• Hello,
    I searched the SQL Forums and did not see a related topic so I hope this is the correct forum. I believe that for SQL Express 2005 there was a single EXE redistributable install that when run would determine whether to lay down the x86 or x64 platform. Now I see that there three varieties of installs for both x86 and x64 depending on the tool set level you are looking for.
    I would like to know if/where there is a single SQL Express 2008 redistributable package that will lay down either an x86 and x64 version depending on the OS level using Setup.INI file settings. Otherwise it appears I would need to include an OS check in my install browser and also include all the various image packages I need along with some sort of install switch.  TIA for any help and direction!
    E.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 11:13 PM

Answers

• hi E.,
    as per http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3181842A-4090-4431-ACDD-9A1C832E65A6&displaylang=en, you can use the "SQLEXPR.EXE" installer, as it covers both 32 bits and 64 bits on WOW installations.. a second "set" is available for the "with Advanced Services" version of the product..

on the other side, SQLExpress 2008 comes in different installer packages, depending on the actual OS platform and SQLExpress editions (runtime only, with tools and with advanced services).. there's an additional package to, the web platform installer, which provides an "easy way" to get all the required depending bits installed, like PowerShell and the like.. as you can see from my own experiences consuming that wrapper, all is needed is the installation of the wrapper, which will later daownload and install the appropriate OS platform specific version required.. but of course this requires you to have a "live" internet connection (possibly a broad band due to the size of the downloaded bits)..

the "difference" is that the 2005 versions only are 32bits based, with support to be installed on 64 bits OS in "Windows on Windows" mode, where the 2008 version really makes available a 64 bits version of the product.. and there's no currently way a native image can be both 32 and 64 bits compatible so there are 2 different and separated packages..
    regards
    http://www.asql.biz - DbaMgr2k - DbaMgr and further SQL Tools
    • Proposed as answer by Chirag Shah Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by E-Systems Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by E-Systems Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by E-Systems Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:53 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 11:44 PM

All replies

• hi E.,
    as per http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3181842A-4090-4431-ACDD-9A1C832E65A6&displaylang=en, you can use the "SQLEXPR.EXE" installer, as it covers both 32 bits and 64 bits on WOW installations.. a second "set" is available for the "with Advanced Services" version of the product..

on the other side, SQLExpress 2008 comes in different installer packages, depending on the actual OS platform and SQLExpress editions (runtime only, with tools and with advanced services).. there's an additional package to, the web platform installer, which provides an "easy way" to get all the required depending bits installed, like PowerShell and the like.. as you can see from my own experiences consuming that wrapper, all is needed is the installation of the wrapper, which will later daownload and install the appropriate OS platform specific version required.. but of course this requires you to have a "live" internet connection (possibly a broad band due to the size of the downloaded bits)..

the "difference" is that the 2005 versions only are 32bits based, with support to be installed on 64 bits OS in "Windows on Windows" mode, where the 2008 version really makes available a 64 bits version of the product.. and there's no currently way a native image can be both 32 and 64 bits compatible so there are 2 different and separated packages..
    regards
    http://www.asql.biz - DbaMgr2k - DbaMgr and further SQL Tools
    • Proposed as answer by Chirag Shah Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by E-Systems Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by E-Systems Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by E-Systems Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:53 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 11:44 PM
  • Andrea,
    Thank you - that is great and makes total sense. Reading yesterday it did seem as though the Web Platform Installer was the preferred way to go, but it seemed inferred that it was one option. There is also the broad band concern given our wide install base. However, this is what we needed. That you so much!
    Ernie.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:53 PM