none
Cube

Question

• is obligatory to have a data warehouse to build, design & develop a cube?
    can i build a cube on a sample database.
    what is the importance to have a data warehouse? why we need it?

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 1:14 PM

Answers

• Hi RajiAoun,

Every SSAS project needs a data source. If It’s not a data warehouse, you will find it’s really hard to design/create cube, because the data are not well organized Of cause, there is no such limitation. You don’t need to make sure the data source is base on a data warehouse. But a data warehouse is often a core component of a BI infrastructure within an organization.

What is the importance to have a data warehouse Data in a data warehouse is organized to support analysis rather than to process real-time transactions as in online transaction processing systems (OLTP). I mean the structure and organization. Actually, the OLAP technology is designed for handling data warehouse, see:

Operational data -> extraction transformation loading -> data warehouse storage -> OLAP -> Business users

A data warehouse is a general structure for storing the data needed for good BI.

Hope this helps.

Raymond

Friday, July 03, 2009 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi RajiAoun,

The question seems to be a Analysis Services's question.

I will help to move to Analysis Services forun.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen
    Jin Chen - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Hi RajiAoun,

Every SSAS project needs a data source. If It’s not a data warehouse, you will find it’s really hard to design/create cube, because the data are not well organized Of cause, there is no such limitation. You don’t need to make sure the data source is base on a data warehouse. But a data warehouse is often a core component of a BI infrastructure within an organization.

What is the importance to have a data warehouse Data in a data warehouse is organized to support analysis rather than to process real-time transactions as in online transaction processing systems (OLTP). I mean the structure and organization. Actually, the OLAP technology is designed for handling data warehouse, see:

Operational data -> extraction transformation loading -> data warehouse storage -> OLAP -> Business users

A data warehouse is a general structure for storing the data needed for good BI.

Hope this helps.

Raymond

Friday, July 03, 2009 7:53 AM