none
How to find server name

Question

• I download sql server management studio 2005 , when i open its asking server name. How to find servername
    • Moved by Bob BeaucheminMVP Friday, October 09, 2009 6:04 PM Moved to a more appropriate group (From:.NET Framework inside SQL Server)
    Friday, October 09, 2009 10:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• I am assuming the sql server database engine is installed on SAME machine.

Try . or your computer name (try HOSTNAME from command line) - this approach assumes the server is the DEFAULT instance.

If it does not work, then try to search for a file named 'ERRORLOG' on your disks - it is in the folder where sql server was installed. When you find it, open it in notepad - the sql server name should be listed there (search for the text 'Server name is'). The file is being created every time you restart sql server database engine. Also you should see a few more similar files in the same folder which have the same name but '1,2,3... as an extension.

Let us know how it goes.

Varsham Papikian, New England SQL Server User Group Executive Board, USA
    New England SQL Server User Group; My LinkedIn page
    Please remember to click the "Mark as Answer" button if a post helps you!
    Friday, October 09, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Or right click on "My Computer", properties and select the "Computer Name" tab (you don't want the fully qualified domain server name).
    Clive
    http://www.sqlsvrdba.com
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 8:22 AM
  • You can find all the SQL Server-s on your network(or computer) by running at Command Prompt:

SQLCMD /L

The default instance has the same name as the computer.  Example:

Servers:
        DELLSTAR
        DELLSTAR\SQL2005
        DELLSTAR\SQL2008

Kalman Toth SQL SERVER 2012 & BI TRAINING
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Saturday, October 10, 2009 8:28 AM