none
Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Latin1_General_CI_AS" in the equal to operation

Question

• Now this is out of mind.

I have a database that has Latin1_General_CI_AS collation. I inserted some records in a table from a database which is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS. What's happening is that my application is return correct output for the records which already existed in the database. But throws this error:

Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Latin1_General_CI_AS" in the equal to operation

for the rows that I inserted from other DB.

I cannot change the collation of my column (or database) as there are no errors for the existing records.

Is there by anyway I could update the newly inserted rows that solves the conflict?

Please advise

Microsoft Techie
    Monday, December 19, 2011 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi {P},

To avoid the collation confliction without changing the query, you may have to change the destination columns’ collation to match the source’s collation. The records inserted after changing will be with the new collation, but the old records are not changed. Be careful of other relationships with this table, in case of new collation conflictions.

To change collation for all existing objects in the database, please refer to this blog: ALTER DATABASE ... ALTER COLLATION (FORCED).

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:34 AM

All replies