none
How do you get PublishMessage to display in output window in a DeploymentPlanModifier type class in VS 2012 SSDT?

Question

• I've just upgraded a VS 2010 DeploymentPlanModifier database extensibility project to VS 2012 SSDT project.  I had base.PublishMessage calls to output results along the way.  In VS 2010 those displaying in the output window.  In VS2012 they do not.  How do I get them to display in VS 2012 SSDT?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Barnett
    http://www.profisee.com
    “As the original creators of Microsoft MDS, Profisee's Master Data Maestro provides a range of enterprise-grade functionality to ensure MDS project success.”

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 11:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for raising this Brian.

1) When using the "Publish" functionality in VS2012 your output will not go to the Output window. Instead, publish information is in the Data Tools Operations window. This includes the preview, generated script and execution results.

2) After investigating this, there's a bug where deployment plan modifier messages aren't getting included in the "Message" tab when you click on "View Results" in the Data Tools Operations window. That's where they should be routed to but the output from plan generation wasn't being captured up to now. We will fix this issue in a future release.

3) If you need to view these messages, there are a few workarounds.

- You should still see them in the output window when using F5 deploy. This deploys to localdb by default, though you can change the target in the SQL project's "debug" properties.

- Messages will appear when publishing the dacpac directly. Right-click on the target database/server in SQL Server Object Explorer and choose "Publish Data-tier Application". Then select the dacpac created by your project, which should be in the bin\Debug folder in your project. When deployment is finished you can see the output by clicking the "view results" link for that publish operation in the Data Tools Operations window

Let me know if you run into any further issues, and I hope this hasn't inconvenienced you too much.

Kevin

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:13 PM
  • Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for the fix.  I will check out the August 2013 Update.

Brian Barnett
    “As the original creators of Microsoft MDS, Profisee's Master Data Maestro provides a range of enterprise-grade functionality to ensure MDS project success.”

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 7:43 PM
  • I installed the Aug 2013 update.  I"m not seeing the "Message" tab nor am I seeing a "View Results" button in the Data Tools Operations window.  What am I missing?

Note: I'm not publishing the database project.  I'm right-clicking on it and selecting "Rebuild".  Should I still see these messages when I select "Rebuild"?

Brian Barnett

Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:18 PM