none
PowerPivot add-on will not load on 64-bit Windows with 32-bit Excel 2010

Question

• I searched this forum back to February, didn't see any answers.

My OS is Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. I have Office 2010 32-bit installed, with both Excel and Shared Features fully installed (I did a custom install).

I downloaded the 32-bit version of PowerPivot and installed it. When I open Excel, the PowerPivot tab isn't showing. Under the Options > Add-Ins dialog, PowerPivot is listed under the Inactive section. When I open the COM Add-Ins section and try to check the box next to PowerPivot, I see this error:

Load Behavior: Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-In.

I have Visual Studio 2010 RTM installed. Another post mentioned that I needed a newer version of the VSTO runtime. HOWEVER, the VSTO_x86 MSI refuses to install on a 64-bit operating system! The Programs and Features applet says I already have the x64 version of VSTO installed. Obviously since I'm running the 32-bit version of Excel, I need the x86 version, but it won't install.

Please help. I cannot install Office 2010 x64 because my company has standardized on the 32-bit version, and Office 2010 does not support both versions (x86 and x64) on one machine.
    Thanks.
    Chuck

Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Chuck,

The 64-bit version of VSTO runtime should be installed when running 32-bit Office on 64-bit Windows.  Take a look at the "Understanding the 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of the runtime" in this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb608603.aspx

HTH,

-Ron

Friday, September 17, 2010 1:13 AM
  • Adding to Ron's suggestions,

To know exactlyy what's the problem here, please follow these steps

1) Open My Computer Properties
    2) Click on Advanced Tab
    3) Click on the Environmental Variable
    4) Click on New User Variable
    5) Add VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS with value 0 press OK
    7) Open Excel again, check PowerPivot for Excel add-in it will show  you the error.

Please post back with the error.

There are couple of options you can try.

1) Repair .Net 3.5 Sp1

2) Re-install Excel x64 make sure Office Shared Features option is selected in the list as well.

AFAIK, you don't need to install VSTO by yourselves as Office installaiton should drop it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Deva [MSFT]

Deva
    Friday, September 17, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Sorry it's my bad I should have explained clearly about how to get the stack.

After you did this,

1) Open My Computer Properties
    2) Click on Advanced Tab
    3) Click on the Environmental Variable
    4) Click on New User Variable
    5) Add VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS with value 0 press OK
    7) Open Excel again, check PowerPivot for Excel add-in it will show  you the error.

When you get the error, you click on details and copy all the details here.

Thanks, Deva [MSFT] My blog: http://powerpivot.spaces.live.com/
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:20 AM

All replies