none
Error: 0x84b40000 during installation of SQL Server 2008

Question

• I receive 0x84b40000 error message during installation of SQL Server 2008 (which finally aborts the setup) - or sometimes I already got stucked at Analysis Service configuration (stating that "The folder path specified is invalid..." - although I have not changed the default settings). The full error message:

"TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.
    ------------------------------

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

The folder path specified is invalid. Please enter a valid folder path.. Folder Path=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data

Error code 0x84B40000.

BUTTONS:

OK
    "

I do (did) not have any previous version of SQL server installed, only Visual Studio 2008, but I have excluded the SQL Server 2005 from that setup.
    I would like to install it on a Virtual Machine running Win XP / SP3

Can anyone help me please? If you need any further info, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you check Minimum requirement for SQL 2008  - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx.

"SQL Server 2008 is supported in virtual machine environments running on the Hyper-V role in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter editions."

Can you confirm this before we start digging for solution?

Thanks
    Vishal
    • Marked as answer by 702CONS Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:54 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you check Minimum requirement for SQL 2008  - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx.

"SQL Server 2008 is supported in virtual machine environments running on the Hyper-V role in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter editions."

Can you confirm this before we start digging for solution?

Thanks
    Vishal
    • Marked as answer by 702CONS Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:54 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Hi Vishal,

i indeed had not checked it before.

Thank you for the help.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:56 AM
  • Hi, I have also get same error. Folder Path is invalid. I didnt change default settings. I am using Windows XP -SP3. It is crashing the installation.I am not using VM, so no chance to have relation with vm. And system requirement is meeting. I checked it already. If anyone know the solution, pls post. Thanks
    Jahfar India
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:12 AM
  • Hi, I have also get same error. Folder Path is invalid. I didnt change default settings. I am using Windows XP -SP3. It is crashing the installation.I am not using VM, so no chance to have relation with vm. And system requirement is meeting. I checked it already. If anyone know the solution, pls post. Thanks
    Jahfar India
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:12 AM
  • I also ran into the same issue.  Microsoft was able to determine that WMI was not responding to queries correctly.

After restarting the Windows Server, I was then able to proceed with the install of Analysis Services.

What was odd, was the Database Engine portion worked fine, and did not give any problems when specifying the file location.  Only Analysis Services had a problem.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:09 AM
  • I have the same issue, now lets try that old windows trick that used to solve the problems, called "restart"! I can't believe it, its 2011 and I still have to use the good old trick.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:31 PM