none
SQL Server Agent not appearing in Management Studio

Question

• Hi there,

I have SQL Server set up on a server and I can't see the Agent in Management Studio.

When I check the services it says it is there and started.

I have the Enterprise edition installed.

Funny thing is it doesn't show when I am on the server itself through Management Studio, however, on my local pc, when I connect to the server through Management Studio, I can see the Agent through there and I have jobs there that run successfully and everything.

Its just when I log directly on the box and load up Management Studio, I don't see it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:28 PM

Answers

• a) Is there a possibiity that you are using SQL Server Management Studio Express edition,  on your server instead of (full or complete edition of management studio that came with SQL enterprise edition media)

one way to tell if you are using sql express studio is under management you will be missing Resouce Governor under management node, Resource governor mangeability feature is only available if you have install management studio that comes with an enterprise edition only

OR

b) account under which you are logged in your server does not have privileges to view SQL Server Agent   (the user need to be member of certain role in msdb database to view sql agent  see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188283.aspx )

c) When you installed SQL managment stuido, which option did you choose for management studio (Basic or Complete)..?

• Edited by Chirag Shah Wednesday, December 01, 2010 7:01 PM edit
    • Marked as answer by gmazza88 Wednesday, December 01, 2010 8:21 PM
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:57 PM

All replies

• a) Is there a possibiity that you are using SQL Server Management Studio Express edition,  on your server instead of (full or complete edition of management studio that came with SQL enterprise edition media)

one way to tell if you are using sql express studio is under management you will be missing Resouce Governor under management node, Resource governor mangeability feature is only available if you have install management studio that comes with an enterprise edition only

OR

b) account under which you are logged in your server does not have privileges to view SQL Server Agent   (the user need to be member of certain role in msdb database to view sql agent  see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188283.aspx )

c) When you installed SQL managment stuido, which option did you choose for management studio (Basic or Complete)..?

• Edited by Chirag Shah Wednesday, December 01, 2010 7:01 PM edit
    • Marked as answer by gmazza88 Wednesday, December 01, 2010 8:21 PM
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Hello,

I might be completely off track on this one , but do you have "Management Studio Express" as opposed to a SQL Server Enterprise Edition Management Studio installed on the server ?

If that's the case then you might want to install management studio from the SQL Server Enterprise Edition CD

regards

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Yes I did not see Resource Governor so that must be it. I never installed management studio on the server, it was there when I started work here.

I will have to install it from the cd then as it must have been basic.

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 8:20 PM
  • I ran set up and chose to install features in a current SQL Server installation.

All the tests have been passed and when I got to the  Feature Selection screen, all the boxes were checked, they were also greyed out so I could not click in them.

It says to continue, one or more features must be selected. As I said, I can't select anything, but since all the boxes are checked, I clicked Next, and received an error saying there are validation errors on this page. review errors at the bottom Set up page, then provide valid parameters.

The error at the bottom of the screen says:

to continue, one or more features must be selected

Any ideas? I need to see my Jobs in Management Studio.

Under Services I see an Agent that is started called SQL Server Agent(MSSQLSERVER), and another agent called SQL Server Agent(SQL2005), however, when I open Management Studio, it says SQL Server 2008 Management Studio.

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Cheers for this
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:39 AM