none
Installing Sql Server 2005 on Windows 7 64 Bit - Only the configuration tools install

Question

• i have a clean install of windows 7 64bit on my laptop.  all programs installed cleanly and i aslo installed visual studio 2005 with no problems (aside from the compatability warning) and it runs fine.  When i try to install sql server 2005, the database engine wont install (or i dont see it any where). the install runs and completes with no error but afterward enterprise manager is not in my list of programs. all i see in the program group in the strat menu is the folder for the configuration tools.  nothing else.  yes i did select to install the sql server database services when i ran the install.  the install goes through ok and i have done this before on non windows 7 machines and had no problems.  any ideas??? thanks.

The only possible clue is that the setup check found that i needed to enable iis.  i did this but the setup wont recognize it. 
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

To run the SQL Server 2005 on Windows 7, you need to install the last service pack for SQL Server 2005?

How to obtain the latest service pack for SQL Server 2005
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/913089?p=1

If there are any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:53 AM
  • hi,

when i try to install SQL server 2005 on windows 7, it gives me an error that SQL database services cannot be installed.

thanks,

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

Just for clarification.

Do you install SQL Server 2005 and then the SerPk?

I had the exact same problem....no error, but when I go to "Services" ...no SQL Server.

Will installing the SerPk after the Server cause the Service appear?

Thx,

HR

Friday, July 16, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Dear Experts\ HankReardon,

I have some question about installing Visual Studion 2008 and SQL Server 2005 or above into Windows 7 64 bit:

1. Will Visual Studion 2008 and SQL Server 2005 or above ( Standard or Enterprise editions) run well in
      Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
      Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    2. What are they prerequisites before installing?
    3. Any specific hardware requirement or software requirement before installing to clean new OS?

Hope to hear from you more soon. Thank you.

Rdgs,
    Tillerman

Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:09 AM
  • I also have a similar problem. I am trying to install SQL 2005 on Windows 7, but it does not let me to continue due to incompatability issue.

I think I need to resolve incompatibility issue first in order to install SQL 2005, then install latest SQL 2005 SP.

How can I resolve the first problem, Incopatibility of SQL 2005 and Windows 7?

Thanks

Max

Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:19 PM
  • I'm having the same problem and I'm getting the same message trying to install SQL2005 Developer Edition from the installation disk provided with VS on a new Windows 7 PC.  The solutions I'm reading say to update the installation with SP3 but I can not get the initial installation to run first.

Thanks

Ralph

Friday, July 23, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Did anybody manage to install SQL Server 2005 on Windows 7 64bit?

I have the same problem where you can ONLY install the developer tools without the engine.  Installing SP4 is not an option until you have the basic installation which is what is not working on Windows 7 64bit.

Monday, March 14, 2011 4:20 PM
  • To install SQL Server 2005 on Windows 7 see here...

http://www.geakeit.co.uk/installations/installing-microsoft-sql-server-2005-on-windows-7-32-bit-and-64-bit.html

Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:39 AM
  • I downloaded these instructions (for $2.50) and it still doesn't work.  I have installed the SP4.  When I go to surface area configuration it tells me I need to install the SP (which I have already done).  This is ridiculous that I have software that is very expensive that I cannot use.
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 1:58 PM
  • I am have a similar issue. Does anyone has any solution for it? I need to know how to get the very first installation done.
    Friday, August 02, 2013 9:01 PM