none
Fresh install of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express will not connect to Database Engine

Question

• I need some help here.  I have a small network and due to need have to load SQL Server 2008 R2 Express on my domain controller, which is running 2008 R2 Server.  I know that this is not an ideal situation but it is what I have to deal with at this time.  I am having an issue where when I do the load of this software it will finish with errors and I am unable to connect to the Database Engine, it is giving me a 18456 and/or 18461 errors when I try to log into that piece.  I have the Management tools package installed as well.  Due to the environment in which I work I cannot upload any logs though I can provide specific errors if needed.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know asap as my deadline is quickly approaching.

Thanks

Dan

Friday, January 21, 2011 3:33 AM

Answers

• The situation appears to be remedied at this time. You all were a great help. What I wound up doing was uninstalling the instance that would not let me execute anything, ie: giving me the no permission error. I then reinstalled. After reinstalling I logged in under the account that I specified the instance to run under. This worked like a charm, I was able to add the appropriate users and assign them permissions. I was also able to connect to the other program which needed the database in the first place. Things seem to be working well at this time so I am going to mark the thread fixed. Thanks again for the help and patience. Dan
    • Marked as answer by campbelldw Monday, January 24, 2011 6:27 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:27 PM

All replies

• With the default installation procedure, an instance of SQL-Server Express won't allow for remote connection.  Check that this is allowed using the SQL-Server configuration tool.  In your case, you don't give up much detail; you don't even say if you are trying to connect remotely or directly on the server.

Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
    MVP - Access
    Blog/web site: http://coding-paparazzi.sylvainlafontaine.com
    Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server (French)

Friday, January 21, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Sylvain,

Sorry bout that, it would be helpful if I let you all know.  All interactions with the database come directly on the Server where it is loaded.  I have done the same installation on a Vista Ultimate SP2 and it works just fine.  It is x64 version of SQL Express.  Thanks and please let me know anything else that you may need to help.

Dan

Friday, January 21, 2011 12:39 PM
  • What is the error?

You also mean the install fails with errors?

Is the SQL Server Service running? Start | Run | Services.msc

Adam

Ctrl+Z
    Friday, January 21, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Start with the steps here Tutorial: Getting Started with the Database Engine
    Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty
    Friday, January 21, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Start with the steps here Tutorial: Getting Started with the Database Engine

Hmmm...Rick

No authentic Microsoft signature under your name or MSFT?

Ctrl+Z
    Friday, January 21, 2011 4:22 PM
  • For unknown reasons I can't log into the forum using my Microsoft login, even from within the corporate network. I wasn't going to lose a lot of sleep over it though. Rick.Byham@microsoft.com
    Friday, January 21, 2011 7:03 PM
  • For unknown reasons I can't log into the forum using my Microsoft login, even from within the corporate network. I wasn't going to lose a lot of sleep over it though. Rick.Byham@microsoft.com

You might wanna call payroll...they might have your red stapler. lol :)
    Ctrl+Z
    Friday, January 21, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Rick, 

Thanks for this.  It has gotten me through the install, and connected with the database engine.  I remain with the SQL 2008R2 Express and was able to move it off the Domain Controller, though it remains on a 2008R2 server.  The issue now is that I cannot do anything within that instance.  Anytime I try to do anything from adding user and assigning rights to creating a new database, it is giving me an error that the user does not have permission.  The user in question is the same one that is listed under the database engine connection, ie: computer-name\admin.  This is the case even though when installing I specified an SQL-admin account for all processes.  I also had to go in and start all the processes independently as they did not start on their own.  

IF you could be of further help or have other resources that I should look to I would appreciate the efforts.

Thanks

Dan

Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Make sure that you have not started an user instance by error.  What's your connection parameters?

Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
    MVP - Access
    Blog/web site: http://coding-paparazzi.sylvainlafontaine.com
    Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server (French)

Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:33 AM
  • Hi,

Usually, it’s not recommended to install SQL Server on a domain controller. Do you connect to the SQL Server instance using Windows Authentication? What is the service account of the SQL Server instance?

On a domain controller, SQL Server services can only run as domain user accounts or local system accounts. For more information, please see Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:31 AM
  • The situation appears to be remedied at this time. You all were a great help. What I wound up doing was uninstalling the instance that would not let me execute anything, ie: giving me the no permission error. I then reinstalled. After reinstalling I logged in under the account that I specified the instance to run under. This worked like a charm, I was able to add the appropriate users and assign them permissions. I was also able to connect to the other program which needed the database in the first place. Things seem to be working well at this time so I am going to mark the thread fixed. Thanks again for the help and patience. Dan
    • Marked as answer by campbelldw Monday, January 24, 2011 6:27 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:27 PM