none
SQL Profiler 2005 - Server processes trace data

Question

• We have a server-side trace running on all our SQL Servers which runs automatically everytime SQL is restarted by running sp_procoption <stored procedure that creates the trace>, 'startup','true'. With that in place, when I try to use SQL Profiler and check the "Server processes trace data" option, my trace fails to start-up. When unchecked, it works.

I've been googling to see if MS has this documented somewhere that sheds a little more light about this option but my searches have been in vain. Any thoughts out there on this?

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

• Whats the error? did you look at sp_trace_create?

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:30 PM
  • sp_trace_create is already running in the background as described in my original post. The error, when I try to run profiler (GUI) in addition to the background trace, is very generic in nature "Failed to start a new trace". When I uncheck the "Server processes trace data" option, I am then able to run the profiler interactively.
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Is the server under heavy load at the time? Also, when you unchecked "Server processes trace data" did you unchecked just that option (and still save to file) or did you uncheck the "Save to file" option completely?

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Only unchecked "Server processes trace data". Save to file option works fine.
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Missed your first question. No, the server, at the time of running the traces, aren't heavily utilized. The only user would have been me, setting up the environment to collect the traces.
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:28 PM