none
Unable to Install

Question

• Hi,

I am using 32 Bit of Windows XP

I am trying to install SQL server 2005 express Edition.I am unable to install.It shows the error 

"SQL server Service failed to start.For more information see SQL server Books Online topics "How to view SQL server 2005 Log files and starting SQL server manually"

Please help as the problem is happening for past 2 years and it really sucks me.I am unable to develop any things and I am unable to execute already developed applications also.

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:01 AM

Answers

• There is not 86 bit? x86 means 32-bit. x64 means 64-bit.

So you need the x86 (32-bit) version for your PC. I haven't installed SQL Server 2012 on Windows XP, but probably you could install it in Windows XP with SP3.

From

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

SQL Server 2012 is not supported on Windows XP

@qwe_aaw

would you please upload/share the setup logs for the failed installation, you can use file sharing service like SkyDrive

How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 8:36 PM
  • Hi qwe_aaw,

If you are not in domain, but in a workgroup, please try to install as “Local System” instead of “Network Service” or “Local Service”. For more details, please refer to this similar thread.

If this doesn’t solve your problem, maybe the “Domain” is missing from the following Windows registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters,
    you can try to create an empty REG_SZ value named “Domain” in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters of your registry. Please follow these steps:
    (1) Open regedit (Start|Run, type regedit).
    (2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters.
    (3) Right-click parameters.
    (4) Choose New->String value.
    (5) Type Domain as the name of the new value, and hit Enter.
    (6) Rerun your SQL Server Setup.
    For more details, please refer to this similar thread.

Best Regards, Ray Chen

Monday, July 16, 2012 9:02 AM

All replies

• On a computer that has a multicore processor, you may be unable to install SQL Server 2005

Could you try to install a newer version of SQL Server? Ex: SQL Server 2012 Express Edition.

• Edited by irusul Friday, July 13, 2012 7:10 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi Irusul,

I was trying to install as per your advice by the below link.But there is no link for 32 bit of Windows XP.I am seeing links for 64 and 86 bit processor.please send me the proper link if you have.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062

Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:22 AM

So you need the x86 (32-bit) version for your PC. I haven't installed SQL Server 2012 on Windows XP, but probably you could install it in Windows XP with SP3.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Hi Irusul,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ms143506(SQL.110).aspx

If you see the above link,Windows XP is not listed in the list.Shall I proceed?

If yes,How can i upgrade from SP2 to SP3?If you have any upgrade link,please send it to me

Sunday, July 15, 2012 8:00 PM

From

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

SQL Server 2012 is not supported on Windows XP

@qwe_aaw

would you please upload/share the setup logs for the failed installation, you can use file sharing service like SkyDrive

How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 8:36 PM
  • Hi qwe_aaw,

If you are not in domain, but in a workgroup, please try to install as “Local System” instead of “Network Service” or “Local Service”. For more details, please refer to this similar thread.

If this doesn’t solve your problem, maybe the “Domain” is missing from the following Windows registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters,
    you can try to create an empty REG_SZ value named “Domain” in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters of your registry. Please follow these steps:
    (1) Open regedit (Start|Run, type regedit).
    (2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters.
    (3) Right-click parameters.
    (4) Choose New->String value.
    (5) Type Domain as the name of the new value, and hit Enter.
    (6) Rerun your SQL Server Setup.
    For more details, please refer to this similar thread.

Best Regards, Ray Chen

Monday, July 16, 2012 9:02 AM