none
SSRS 2008 Report with two tablix have extra blank pages

Question

• I am working on a report in SSRS 2008 that has two tables (or tablices?). My report is set to a width of 11 and height of 8.5, left and right margins of 0.25, top and bottom margins of 0.5. Paper size is Letter, Orientation is landscape.

With margins accounted for, I basically have 10.5 of workspace for the Body. The first tablix's width is way under 10.5 but the second tablix has lots of columns and would have to span two pages so the Body goes past 10.5 but I kept it under 22 (twice one page).  I put a PageBreak after the first tablix. When I run the report and do a Print Layout, the first tablix prints with a blank page after every printed page of that table. The second tablix prints just fine, no extra blank pages in between. So I suspect that it is the "empty space" to the right of the first tablix, which is caused by the second tablix's width, that is the problem.

However when I tried to switch the tables in my report and have the wider tablix print first and the narrower tablix print after it, I did not get any extra blank pages on both; the reports prints just fine.

Unfortunately, I cannot have the wider tablix print first with the report I need. I would like to know if this is a bug in SSRS 2008? It appears that there is something with the order report objects are printed and their size. Has anyone figured this out yet?  Thanks.

Friday, March 15, 2013 10:25 PM

All replies

• If you're using Report Designer in BIDs to create the report, try setting the ConsumerContainerWhitespace property to True. This property, set to True, prevents empty pages from being added to the report.

Carla Sabotta

Friday, March 15, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Carla,

Thanks but ConsumerContainerWhitespace was already set to True.

Monday, March 18, 2013 1:21 PM
  • I found this post on the MSDN forum that offers the following solutions that worked for a few people responding to that thread.  You might want to try one of these:

• "I found the problem cause.  In Reporting Services, report body width must be <= (report width - report margins width).I reduced the margins to zero width, and the pagination problem disappeared!"
    • "I have solved my problem. With SSRS you must be very careful with the way you place objects
      Growing objects will push those on their right, even if they are not on the same line /!\

Consider a textbox 2 inches large centered, and a growing matrix beneath it. on the left, 1 inch large. At run time the matrix will grow and the title will be pushed aside. And this may cause blank pages.

A workaround is to create 1 rectangle per object. The rectangle should occupy all the body space available while objects occupy only a part of their embedding rectangle."

Carla

Carla Sabotta

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Carla,

I appreciate the help but both suggestions did not remove the blank pages in my report. I can see where the second option--putting objects in a rectangle--would work for objects that grow; however that is not the case for the two tablix in my report. Both have fixed width so the second tablix is already spanning two pages to begin with.

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:47 PM