none
SSRS Interactive Sort Not Sorting

    Question

  • All:

    I'm relatively new to SSRS and am having an issue with interactive sorting.  I'm utilizing SQL Server sp2 and have used interactive sorting before with success, however, for my most recent report, when I click on the small arrows in the column header, it apears that the page posts back but nothing is sorted.  No matter which column I try to sort on nothing seems to sort at all. 

    Something else I've noticed is that if I place an "Order By" clause in the SQL stored procedure that this report is based on, it seems to have no affect.  Even if I "Order by ColB" in the stored procedre, when the report is rendered "ColA" appears to always be sorted.

    I'm guessing I have set up something incorrectly, but after several hours of failed attempts (and even recreating the report from scratch), and searching forums/blogs, I have not yet figured out the problem.

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    Aaron
    Monday, February 09, 2009 1:20 PM

Answers

  • Hi Aaron,

     

    As I know, some interactive sort problems are caused by sort setting. I would like to check the following first:

     

    1 I assume you are not using Report Viewer controls. Otherwise this issue could be complex.

     

    2 Did other reports have the same issue? Interactive sort didn’t work in all your reports?

     

    3 Base on my test. When I select “add an interactive sort action to this text box”, the default dada region or group is current scope and the default Evaluate sort expression in details scope. So, below the section labeled Evaluate sort expression in this scope, make sure you selected right group you want sort. Usually we select the parent group of current group. Also select the right dada region or group in above section.

     

    If there is any update, please let me know.

     

    Regards,

    Raymond

    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:23 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi Aaron,

     

    As I know, some interactive sort problems are caused by sort setting. I would like to check the following first:

     

    1 I assume you are not using Report Viewer controls. Otherwise this issue could be complex.

     

    2 Did other reports have the same issue? Interactive sort didn’t work in all your reports?

     

    3 Base on my test. When I select “add an interactive sort action to this text box”, the default dada region or group is current scope and the default Evaluate sort expression in details scope. So, below the section labeled Evaluate sort expression in this scope, make sure you selected right group you want sort. Usually we select the parent group of current group. Also select the right dada region or group in above section.

     

    If there is any update, please let me know.

     

    Regards,

    Raymond

    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:23 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks, that was a great answer.  I did eventually find the problem and it was, as expected a silly mistake.  Because this particular report was a very simple one, I elected to use the Wizard to build it.  I must have accidently added a GROUP at this time without realizing it.  Once I went into the table properties, I noticed that there was, indeed, a group.  Upon removing it my interactive sorts worked fine.

    Thanks for the great suggestions!

    Aaron
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:50 PM