none
Implementing drop down box in reporting services

Question

•  

Hi,

I'm creating a report in reporting services wherein i would like to give a drop down box for selecting the respective database for which a report is to generated. Is there a way of goin about this...Pls help.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:48 PM

Answers

• You are looking for what is called a multivalue parameter. Although I don't use them often, you can google this or search the forums and I'm sure you'll find how to implement it.

Basically, you want to click Report (top menu bar) -> Report Parameters. On this screen there is a check box for multivalue that you can set for any paramter. Play around with this.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:10 PM

All replies

• You are looking for what is called a multivalue parameter. Although I don't use them often, you can google this or search the forums and I'm sure you'll find how to implement it.

Basically, you want to click Report (top menu bar) -> Report Parameters. On this screen there is a check box for multivalue that you can set for any paramter. Play around with this.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:10 PM
  • It sounds more like you want to know how to point the same report at different data sources (data bases)

This should help
    http://blogs.msdn.com/bwelcker/archive/2005/04/29/413343.aspx

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:58 PM
  •  adolf garlic wrote:
    It sounds more like you want to know how to point the same report at different data sources (data bases)

This should help
    http://blogs.msdn.com/bwelcker/archive/2005/04/29/413343.aspx

Possibly so, I didn't read it quite like that but it's an interesting interpretation.

Apps Dev, could you please explain what you are looking to do a bit more? Give us some background.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:28 PM
  •  

No wat i want to know is how to implement or rather is there a way of implementing a drop down box control inside a report?????
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:49 AM
  •  

want to know is how to implement or rather is there a way of implementing a drop down box control inside a report?????

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:22 PM
  • The only way I know of doing this is a multivalue parameter as I suggested above.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:53 PM
  •  

Appdevs,

you can also do it this way,

First create a dataset for ur reports (the main stored procedure that accepts parameters)

Create another dataset with the data u want to have a drop down list.

and then in the report parameters, select the particular parameter and in the available values select the From Query option specify the dataset (the second one) and its value field and Label field and in the default values Select NULL.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Karen

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:19 PM
  • Karen,

What control would the dataset be populated in? A textbox or what?

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:49 PM
  •  

it will be a drop down list or box...

The sproc for that dataset will be like this

SELECT

PeriodId,

CAST([Year] AS char(4)) + ', Q ' + CAST([Month] AS char(2)) QtrYear

FROM

Period

WHERE

PeriodId = @PeriodId

OR

(

PeriodId = PeriodId

AND

@PeriodId IS NULL

)

ORDER BY

[Year] DESC,

[Month] DESC

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:51 PM
  • So it's in essence a multivalue parameter...?

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:56 PM
  •  

yeah , But i dont select a multvalue parameter option in the report parameters.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:58 PM
  • I want to do this same type of thing but I want to use the drop down list so the user can select a value and be redirected to a different report, which is filtered by the drop down.
    Rob
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Hi,

Check this thread which shows how to use the parameters along withadding a drop down box to the report. Check the resources links with the thread as well to get some idea on the same.

http://beyondrelational.com/ask/sherryli/questions/738/dependent-parameter-in-ssrs.aspx 

Thanks Karthikeyan Anbarasan http://f5debug.net/
    Monday, November 21, 2011 11:53 AM