none
Show dimension names and keys ? (Analysis Cube and Pivot Tables)

General discussion

• Hello,

i have a table like this:
    ID   name
    01   company a
    02   company b
    03   company c

i create a analysis cube (with a thirdparty software called q4bis), and then i browse the cube dimension with sql management studio.

now i only see:
    Current Level: Sales_Organisation
    +All
         company a
         company b
         company c

how can i show both the key AND the name?
    this especially important when using pivot reports.
    http://myeglo.com/static/dimension01.JPG

thanks for help!

Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

you could use the NameColumn property (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174919.aspx) to show the information you need.
    You could create a Named Column in the data source view with the necessary information and use the named column in the property.

A similar example is the FullName named column in the Employee dimension in the Adventure Works sampe database.

Regards,
    Orsi

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 9:39 AM
  • hi,
    you can simply create a derive column in your DSV as ID + ' ' + name
    and use that column as your name-column

greets,
    gerhard
    - www.pmOne.com -
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 9:53 AM
  • hello,

but both of your solutions mean that the key/ID + Name info would always be shown, in all dimensions. i'm rather looking for a "gui" solution to show or hide "ID" on user demand.

for example, i have a list of users and some measures. usually i want to show only the user names. but there might be a special case where i also want to see the ID of the user... i'd like to click "options/show keys&name" somewhere in the gui.

is this not possible in the sql management studio gui?
    i'm asking because the 3rd-party-app we use to create the cube (iq4bis) also has a webinterface to browse the cube. this app has the option in a submenu to "show key & name". so the info must be somewhere in the cube already. so my guess was, it should also be possible to show it in sql management studio gui (and subsequently, in pivot table reports). am i wrong?

br robert

Friday, April 03, 2009 7:49 AM
  • you could create a property holding the Key
    and then, for example in Excel use "Show/Hide Properties"

greets,
    gerhard
    - www.pmOne.com -
    Friday, April 03, 2009 9:00 AM