none
ODBC Error: SQLState 28000 & Server Error 18452

Question

• Hello,

I have created two new tables in a SQL database instance on a Deticated SQL server. The database in question has been in use for years with no problems. I created these two tables and linked them like the others to an Access interfaces as linked tables using a new System DSN.
    Most of the time but not all of the time I get the dialog listed in the title here : ODBC Error: SQLState 28000, Server Error 18452 Login failed for ...
    This only happens when I use the objects on the form that are bound to the new tables. the other objects touching other tables work fine.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:42 PM

Answers

• Thanks evreyone. I think I go this figured out: when I selected the tables to link I did not click 'save password', so it did not retain the system dsn login and password. (Hope I said that right).

Thanks again for your time.

Friday, November 20, 2009 1:02 PM

All replies

• It appears as though the new system DSN does not have correct credentials, if I am reading this right.  Is it true that the new objects (linked to the new tables) use a different DSN from the existing, working objects?

Hope that helps,

John

This post is provided 'as is' and confers no express or implied warranties or rights.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

I did link these into the same DSN as the existing tables. Using the SQL login and password, not a local user login. But whenever I attempt to access these tables through the interface I get the error message at least 50% of the time.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:58 PM
  • Is the 50% constant?  Does it correspond to specific tables with perhaps triggers to other databases or views with restricted permissions?  Are the new tables in a new database or in a different schema than the original ones?

Thanks,

John

This post is provided 'as is' and confers no express or implied warranties or rights.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 12:15 AM
  • What kind of authetication are you using SQL or WIndows ? Do you see user name in error message like "Login failed for user domain\userName" or something like "Login failed for user NT Authority\Anonymous Logon" or "Login failed for user '' "

If you see [''] or [NT Authority\Anonymous Logon] as user names, check SQL error logs. You should see another error above or below this message with string like "Cannot generate SSPI context"

If that is the case, use following links to troubleshoot your problem

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/811889 
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2005/10/15/481297.aspx
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Thanks evreyone. I think I go this figured out: when I selected the tables to link I did not click 'save password', so it did not retain the system dsn login and password. (Hope I said that right).

Thanks again for your time.

Friday, November 20, 2009 1:02 PM