none
Download SQL Server 2008 Management Studio

Question

• Could any one please tell the link to download the management Studio for SQL Server 2008?
    Monday, March 24, 2008 5:59 AM

Answers

• The mangement studio is included in the full sql server package, and not the express package. So you need to download the full version and then just install that bit.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 10:47 PM

All replies

• Ditto!

It doesn't install the new beta version of Management Studio for SQL 2008 with CTP6. I think that's kinda strange, but if anyone knows where we can download it, please post... it would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:04 AM
  • The mangement studio is included in the full sql server package, and not the express package. So you need to download the full version and then just install that bit.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 10:47 PM
  • the full version is 1.2 Gigas big right

ive DL it, and installed it..

NO managment Studio in that.. it saying client tools installed, but no managment links no there, and it is not installed!

Provide link for download that has it pleaase Smile

• Proposed as answer by Mathias Breum Friday, June 08, 2012 3:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mathias Breum Friday, June 08, 2012 3:26 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2008 5:37 PM
  • I've followed same steps as BrownGhost with the same result:  no SSMS.

Do we have the wrong install package?  Is SSMS missing from the install package?

Since VS2008 SP1 broke my ability to connection to SSCE database files, SSMS 2008 looks like my only hope short of rolling back SP1 install.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:41 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Paul_Marvin Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Paul_Marvin Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Don Jewett Friday, September 24, 2010 7:38 PM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:13 AM
  • you can download from Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Management Studio Express

Be sure to choose install a new instance in the setup program- adding features to an exisiting sql instance won't work.  You don't have to actually install a new instance though- just the tools.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 11:05 PM
  • If you have SQL Server 2008 Full Installation(not the express edition) and would like to install the Management Studio, you can find it there. Once you click Setup.exe you should see the menu on the left that says PLanning, Installation, Maintenance, Tools....etc.. Initially I was trying to look at Tool and could not find there. But actually it is under Installation. Once you click that, you should see the option on the right that says New SQL Server Stand Alone installation...etc.... Click that, just keep following the wizard till you see the option of selecting Management Studio (and other additional features that you would like - but definitely not the database engine since you have that already (probably) in other server.

• Proposed as answer by JohnnyW2001 Friday, November 20, 2009 8:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:06 PM
  • The Express edition is not the answer I was hoping for, as it is not the same as a developer client edition (which is sold as a license). It sounds like a "client" version .msi for use to install at developers workstations isn't going to be something that is offered. Buyer beware I guess.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:53 PM
  • Yep, it's under "Management Tools".
    Alphabetti Spaghetti - My lame blog
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:47 PM
  • This is the download link for Management Studio for SQL Server 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=08e52ac2-1d62-45f6-9a4a-4b76a8564a2b&displaylang=en

After you download it, run the setup, choose Installation from the Installation Center, then choose New SQL Server Standalone Installation or add features to an existing installation, then at Installation Type choose to add features and choose Management Studion. Annoying but it worked.

I just don't understand why it doesn't install MS when you install the database engine :((

Hope it works for you too.

Andreea
    • Proposed as answer by Fileark Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:06 PM
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:44 AM
  • That download link is for the express version of management studio which is not the same as the full version.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:58 PM
  • I believe the only way to get SQL Server Management Studio 2008 - the non express version - is to use the installation media for a full version of SQL Server 2008. Microsoft only has downloads for the Express edition.  SQL Management studio express is missing the features that are also left out of SQL Server Express like everything related to SQL Server Agent.
    • Proposed as answer by barsev277 Monday, March 15, 2010 6:54 AM
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:27 PM
  • This worked for me, run the express install from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=08E52AC2-1D62-45F6-9A4A-4B76A8564A2B&displaylang=en and choose new instance, it will ask what version and this time it will have "Express with Advanced Services " then you will have the option to check Management tools. A little different than 2005 but oh well, gets the job done.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Will there be problems if I have both Sql Server Management Studio 2008 Express and SQL Server Management Studio 2005 in the same machine? What is the difference between the SQL Server Management Studio 2008 Express and NON Express?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:08 PM
  • There isn't a problem with having SSMSE 2008 and SSMS 2005 on the same computer.  The thing you need to be careful off is that if you load your SQL2005 DB onto the SQL2008 instance it will change the internal structure of the database so that it can no longer be attached to the SQL2005 instance.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 10:25 PM
  • If you have SQL Server 2008 Full Installation(not the express edition) and would like to install the Management Studio, you can find it there. Once you click Setup.exe you should see the menu on the left that says PLanning, Installation, Maintenance, Tools....etc.. Initially I was trying to look at Tool and could not find there. But actually it is under Installation. Once you click that, you should see the option on the right that says New SQL Server Stand Alone installation...etc.... Click that, just keep following the wizard till you see the option of selecting Management Studio (and other additional features that you would like - but definitely not the database engine since you have that already (probably) in other server.

Hi,

I have the Full MS SQL Server 2008 DVD (4.3 GB). I also have a multi-license deal for this. Now my team of users only needs the Management Studio for doing SQL queries. In the past, when we were using 2005, I was able to just put Business Intelligence-Management Studio on a network share, about 600 MB. But I can't put this full DVD there because of storage limitations.

From where on the DVD can I extract the MS only to put it on the share?

Thanks!

-JCL

Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Hi,

I have the Full MS SQL Server 2008 DVD (4.3 GB). I also have a multi-license deal for this. Now my team of users only needs the Management Studio for doing SQL queries. In the past, when we were using 2005, I was able to just put Business Intelligence-Management Studio on a network share, about 600 MB. But I can't put this full DVD there because of storage limitations.

From where on the DVD can I extract the MS only to put it on the share?

Thanks!

-JCL

Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:00 PM
  • the sql server 2008 management studio express didn't install for me right away.  Giving me some sort of "begin invoke" something or other.  I found another post on these forums where someone said just keep trying it and it will work.  I thought that was kind of silly, but they were right.  Granted I re-installed it, but it ended up working, I chose the right feature and the management studio is installing right now.

I'm running a dev instance of sharepoint 2010 virtualized, stand-alone.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:14 AM
  • When I try to install the Express Management Studio or the full SQL 2008 Express, the files are extracted, then a command prompt appears and goes away immediately. Then all of the extracted files are deleted and I cannot run setup manually. How can I make this work?
    j
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:01 PM
  • This is the right answer if you are looking for the Express version.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:42 PM
  • This worked for me.  Thanks
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Anyone know of a 3rd party tool? I've been trying for weeks, but can't get management tools like in 2005. Why does MS make this so difficult.
    Sunday, January 02, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Have you tried using a program such as InstallRite to create a installation package? 
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Anyone know of a 3rd party tool? I've been trying for weeks, but can't get management tools like in 2005. Why does MS make this so difficult.
    AquaData Studio is a great 3rd party tool, if you want to run SQL queries. It also works on Oracle/MySQL/etc as well. It wont let you interface with things like the DB Mail config setup and such however, but if you are only after queries, it is the best tool IMO. http://www.aquafold.com/downloads.html
    Friday, January 21, 2011 10:59 PM
  • This worked for me.  You have to step a good way through the full installation process but you will eventually be prompted for which components you wish to install.  I haven't seen a way to acquire the Management Studio interface "Full Version" without starting with a full version of SQL 2008.

Thanks Johnny! 

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Thursday, November 03, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Even though its gone back and forth many times, seems like people are confused:

-You CAN install the non-Express, SQL Sever Management Studio FROM the Express download.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:41 PM
  • here's a better idea:   Tell MS to stuff it,  go get Oracle 11g (the best database in the world), run it on a 64 bit linux box, and then you can use any number of free  (golden, sqldeveloper) or non-free (toad)  robust clients to access the database.  

This management studio crap is ridiculous.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:32 PM
  • here's a better idea:   Tell MS to stuff it,  go get Oracle 11g (the best database in the world), run it on a 64 bit linux box, and then you can use any number of free  (golden, sqldeveloper) or non-free (toad)  robust clients to access the database.  

This management studio crap is ridiculous.

asking people to pay close to $1000 and go through the trouble of not only migrating all their databases to oracle but also updating whatever code base they might have to make the switch just to avoid having to download the management studio doesn't really strike me as the most practical suggestion.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:37 PM
  • I found the SQL 2008 DVD didn't have the option to install the management studio but the SQL 2008 R2 DVD did. Maybe they messed up the first edition disk.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 11:14 PM
  • You can download express edition here...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7593

Thanks,

Friday, January 04, 2013 5:33 PM
  • here you go.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7593

Bruce

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:17 AM
    • You can download the Readme file for installing SQL Server 2008 RTM - Express.
    • It includes a SMSS management tool as indicated in the snapout of the help file below.
    • I believe you will find what you want just in the single install package  for X86 or X64 versions at the links listed here:

SQLEXPRWT_X86 Executable 
    SQLEXPRWT_X64 Executable

SQL Server Express with Management Tools is an easy-to-use version of the SQL Server® Express data platform that includes the graphical management tool SQL Server Management Studio (SMSS) Express

To read what is new in SQL Server® 2008 R2 click here.

Additional Information
    If you have a specific technical question about SQL Server 2008 R2 Express please visit the SQL Server Express Forum.

- If you have questions about SQL Server2008 R2 Express, visit the SQL Server2008 R2 forums on MSDN.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:24 AM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=7593

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:26 AM