none
SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 available on Microsoft Update (MU)

General discussion

•  

Service Pack 2 for SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2005 Express, Server 2005 Server 2005 Express Advanced, and Server 2005 Express Toolkit has been published to Microsoft Update at http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx.

If a SQL Server 2005 component is not on SP2 then the SP2 update will be offered for each language and platform that we support. This update is only available as an optional update on the Microsoft Update web site. To see the update you need to choose "Custom" scan.

The Express updates; Express, Express Advanced, and Express Toolkit will be automatically download and installed, if you have accepted to receive updates through Microsoft Update and you have enable automatic updates on you Windows machines. You can also see the update directly on the Microsoft Update web site.

All of these updates will be available through WSUS so an IT admin can control deployment of these updates through their enterprise.

Customers can optionally obtain SQL Server SP1 through Microsoft Update if they hide the SP2 update.

See the following link for more information on SQL Server SP 2:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/servicepacks/sp2.mspx

Thanks,

Peter Saddow

Friday, March 09, 2007 4:00 AM

All replies

• Thanks. When will the (pdb) debug symbols be posted on http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols ?
    Friday, March 30, 2007 11:24 PM
  • I have had a problem with installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 (KB 921896). Like many other people, the problem was Code 2B22. Can you give me any information on this?

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Hii

I have the software of sql 2005 sever Itanium.the problem i face when i do onstallation is this" the software is valid but cant be installed in th computer" i tried on 3 type of sever the same message its appear so please could help me to solve the problem.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:14 AM
  • My system constantly tells me that the SQL Server 2005 Express Service Pack 2 needs to be installed. I install it and get no errors. The history file shows a good install. The next time I start up the computer the auto update (or if I manually check) tells me the update is needed. 

Any solutions??

Friday, July 04, 2008 2:05 PM
  • I have had the same problem whith my notebook Sony VGN-CR120E. Can you give me any help?

Thanks,

Friday, July 11, 2008 1:37 AM
  • To Peter Saddow

Privet, Peter

We are on the way to SQL SERVER 2008 and still “digging in the dirt” of failed installs. If those installs are not thoroughly QA-ded, don’t upload them.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 10:52 PM
  •  

I have the same problem too.  All weekend.  It has tried to install about 8 times I think.  Installs fine, no errors, then after reboot shows up in the list again.  Any help, anyone?  I have tried installing manually and get the same results.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 3:15 AM
  • MS is completely lost with sql server express (and perhaps sql server as well) and Vista automatic updates. They are, so far, unable to support recent security updates and service pack 2 on Vista, and need to fix this ASAP. When I say 'support' I don't mean handing me a research project and a ton of experiments. I have customers using automatic updates, and the sql express update is failing, and then failing to restart the database server. The only solution so far is to have the customers turn off automatic updates on Vista. Not a good situation. And I can't have the customers doing _anything_ on their machines to workaround the bugs in the upgrade, no permission changes, folder operations, or registry edits. The update should just work, or at least not kill the server when it fails.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:14 PM
  • I could not agree more, I don't think Microsoft realise just how bitter people are feeling about this. This better be just a good old Microsoft *** up and not another cynical tactic to extract more money from their ever more disillusioned customer base.

To download a security patch on the back of SP2 is a real act of rank stupidly especially taking into account all the known issues with SQL Express 2005 SP2.

I am losing faith about these so called security patches, I think Microsoft roles out updates to fix bugs in others MS apps because they just do not seen to be able to decouple their application suite or operating systems, and if this effects third party vendors them screw them and their customers.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 3:42 PM
  • In response to first post from peter saddaw "Optional update". I wish you downloaded via Windows update, you now need to address all the known issues with SP2 fix them and issue a new windows update. Looking back through the forums from June onwards these are numerous indeed.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 4:17 PM
  • Seems some folks are having issues with SQL updates obtained through Microsoft Update. For us to be able to investigate your specific issue, please start a new posting and include the following information:

1) The update that is failing: KB or build number

2) System configuration: OS version, SQL version, SQL editions installed

3) Post your summary.txt log file located at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Hotfix.

Thanks,

Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:39 AM
  • I already did this posting and it was not resolved. Please see:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3631392&SiteID=1

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:19 PM

• How to obtain the latest service pack for SQL Server 2005 ????

To obtain SQL Server 2005 SP3, visit the following Microsoft Web site: To obtain SQL Server 2005 Feature Pack December 2008, visit the following Microsoft Web site: To obtain SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3, visit the following Microsoft Web site: To obtain Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services SP3, visit the following Microsoft Web site: To obtain SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Toolkit SP3, visit the following Microsoft Web site: bye .
    Friday, May 15, 2009 7:14 PM