none
Excel 2010 workbook with SSAS 2008 R2 offline/local cube data source

Question

• Hi,

I have an Excel 2010 workbook that connects to an offline cube (.cub file) as the data source.  It currently has 4 pivot tables with 2 shared slicers that connect to each of these pivot tables.  The file opens without an error, but when you try to click the slicers or even refresh the pivot tables it errors out with “the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process” and then asks to re-connect to the .cub file.  The odd thing is if I remove one of the pivot tables (can be either of them) it works fine – I am able to refresh the data and use the slicers.  With some research I did find that when using a .cub file as a data source, it uses the local cube engine which does obtain an exclusive lock on the file and can have up to 5 connections/processes running concurrently.  Also, I connected the file to an online cube, and there are no issues with the workbook in its
    entirety.

I am wondering if anyone has run into this issue and if there is a known fix or workaround? Or is this just a limitation when using offline cubes?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, March 05, 2012 7:51 PM

Answers

• I think each slicer has it's own connection to the cube as they need to query it to find out what members are available and which ones have data. So you have probably just exceeded the 5 connection limit.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:51 AM