none
Unable to connect to server using SQL Server Management Studio

Question

• I'm a newbie when it comes to SQL Server 2008 Express (SSE) so please go easy on me as I'm trying to learn from scratch.

I have installed SSE on my home PC and run the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio but when I try to connect I get an error telling me it cannot connect.

My settings are:
    Server Type = Database Engine
    Server Name = MATPC (my PC)
    Authentication = Windows Authentication (which is what I specified on installation)

When I hit Connect I get an error dialog that says:

"Cannot connect to MATPC

Additional information:
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establihsing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server us configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)"

What have I done wrong or not configured properly?
    The technical details for the error point me here: http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=2 which suggests the server isn't running. I followed the default installation instructions and have rebooted my PC. If I check the services I see that SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) is running as is SQL Server VSS Writer (whatever that does). SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS) is disabled as is SQL Server Browser in the list of services - is this right or wrong? I haven't changed anything here.
    Where am I going wrong?
    I'm trying to teach myself SQL Server Express from a book and not even being able to get the Management Studio to connect is proving a significant problem! Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.
    System Info:
    XP Media Centre Edition, SP3
    x86 CPU
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:23 PM

Answers

• Ignore me - I've sorted it.
    I browsed for the Server Name and selected MATPC\SQLEXPRESS and now I'm all properly connected.
    • Marked as answer by mathare Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:34 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hello.

When you look in SQL Server configuration manager what is the full name of the SQL Server service listed there?

Are you trying to connect from another machine then the actual server, if so which protocols have you opened and are your instance accepting remote connections?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:10 PM
  • SQL Server Configuration Manager shows the SQL Server service as "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)"
    I'm doing everything on a single PC (MATPC) which is where the server is installed and where I am running the SQL Server Management Studio from.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Ignore me - I've sorted it.
    I browsed for the Server Name and selected MATPC\SQLEXPRESS and now I'm all properly connected.
    • Marked as answer by mathare Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:34 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:34 AM