none
Help!!! Cannot Connect to Database Engine!!!!!

Question

• Hello I am having a problem connecting to Sql database engine.

I am using windows xp pro and I recently installed ms sql server 2008 express with advance servicesthe installation was alright then I treind lunchig my sql management studio express 2008 but its fails to connect to database engine.

here is the error: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

Someone Please  help!!!

• Edited by olalekex Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:40 AM too long
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:36 AM

Answers

• Check if Pinals Article helps you

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/05/21/sql-server-fix-error-provider-named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-error/

Madhu
    MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA,MCP-- Blog : http://experiencing-sql-server-2008.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by olalekex Monday, June 15, 2009 7:13 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Check the below things:

1.Check the sqlservice instance is running in services.msc
    2.Check the name of the instance.
    3.From the sql configuration manager check whether remote connections is allowed or not?

Thanks
    Venkat

• Proposed as answer by venkatramani1983 Friday, June 12, 2009 7:16 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:59 AM
  • A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2) . The Error relate to network connection issue, for testing purposes can u ping the server by name? if  ping by name failed  try to ping by IP number, If Succeed try to connect by IP to the server. If those step failed please check the protocol setting in Configuration Manager--Network Configuration

Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:10 PM

All replies

• Check if Pinals Article helps you

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/05/21/sql-server-fix-error-provider-named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-error/

Madhu
    MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA,MCP-- Blog : http://experiencing-sql-server-2008.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Check the below things:

1.Check the sqlservice instance is running in services.msc
    2.Check the name of the instance.
    3.From the sql configuration manager check whether remote connections is allowed or not?

Thanks
    Venkat

• Proposed as answer by venkatramani1983 Friday, June 12, 2009 7:16 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:59 AM
  • A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2) . The Error relate to network connection issue, for testing purposes can u ping the server by name? if  ping by name failed  try to ping by IP number, If Succeed try to connect by IP to the server. If those step failed please check the protocol setting in Configuration Manager--Network Configuration

Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:10 PM
  • Thanks Guys, the problem has been resolved.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:14 PM
  • hi
    I too have the same problem. But in my case this error occurs while inserting records to the DB, that only after inserting 990 records exactly..(in a single loop).

I have disable the firewall, all the protocols are enabled. I have checked all the steps specified in the above link (specified by Madhu k Nair). But everything in vain.. no use...  i am struggling with this ...

how did u resolve your problem.. kindly let me know.. I will give one more try..

Waiting for your valuable replies...!!!
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:46 AM