none
SQL Management Studio Edit Table Error - Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (SQLEditors)

Question

• I had SQL SP2 installed...ran windows update , went into SQL Managment Studio...

when I try to design or open a table I get

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (SQLEditors)

the details are:

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.OpenTableNode.CreateDesigner(IDTDocToolFactoryProvider factoryProvider, IVsDataConnection dataConnection)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDataDesignerNode.CreateDesigner()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDataDesignerNode.Open()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VirtualProject.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDocumentMenuItem.CreateDesignerWindow(IManagedConnection mc, DocumentOptions options)

I did some research but was not able to find too much info other than re-installing client tools which I am not in a position to do since I am on the road for the next few weeks.

I have never installed any CTP's...

I am running the Developer Edition of SQL 2005..

Thanks,
    Melegant

MCSD

Monday, March 03, 2008 11:36 PM

Answers

• Yeppidy do, had to re-install Client Tools and the problem went away.

Thanks bug free!

Magical I say, Magical.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:50 PM

All replies

• Have you installed SP2 to client too?

This looks like a tools corruption and specific to BIDS too.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 5:33 PM
  • SSMS has the graphical editor tools as well, so these errors are quite possible from SSMS, not just BIDS.

And I agree the most likely cause is some sort of corruption and I would re-apply SP2 to the client tools, or do a repair.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 6:24 PM
  • I tried to re-apply SP2 however the installer does not let me..it says that it has sp2 or later so I cannot check it...

Is there a way to force it? Also, what does BIDS stand for?

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 8:10 PM
  • BIDS is the short name for Business Intelligence Development Studio.  If you goto Start=>Control Panel=>Add/Remove Programs and check the updates box, you can uninstall SP2 from the client tools, and then it will let you reinstall it.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Unfortuantly it says 'Update cannot be removed' for that entry under add remove programs...

It looks like I will have to un-install then re-install client tools...which really stinks.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 9:30 PM
  • Yeppidy do, had to re-install Client Tools and the problem went away.

Thanks bug free!

Magical I say, Magical.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Solution of this Error ::

Try to implement latest service pack of installed SQL Edition.

Kapil Mahershi

Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Thanks, I went to the Repair option inside SQL Server Installation Center and problem solved.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:14 PM