none
Debug Script Task in SSIS (SQL 2005)

Question

• Hi,

I need a small clarification from here. I am using SSIS (SQL 2005). I have Script Task in my SSIS Package.

All I need to know that How can I debug my Script Task. I can able to set a break point in the script but when I am clicking on the "RUN (F5)". This is not working. Is there any configuration I missed or something else?

Please advice..

Thanks,
    Sandeep

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:47 PM

Answers

• To debug the Script Task, open the task UI and click through to the script itself. (This is the VSA designer.) Now just add a breakpoint on a line of code. Close down VSA and the task UI. Run the package. When the breakpoint is hit, VSA will open up allowing you to step through the code.

if the break point is not working, 
    1) remove the previous break point and set the new one.
    OR
    2) close the solution and try again

Note: SSIS does not (yet) support breakpoints in a script component.

Thanks-

Let us TRY this | Don’t forget to mark the post(s) that answered your question
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Hi ETL Vs. ELTL.

Excellent Man . I am really happy now...All I wanted that I got from your Post.
    Now I am clear on this.

If I understood you clearly. 1st need to set break point. then save it. and execute package globally. then it is going to break mode...
    then after we can do the research...rite.....

WELCOME MAN ....NICE ....It' ll help a lot (ETL )...

Nice Thing.....Thanks a lot.....
    I appreciate this ...answer.. It is highly necessary for SSIS developers point of view..

Thanks....

Thanks,
    Sandeep.
    • Marked as answer by Sandeep Mishra Monday, November 23, 2009 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:47 PM

All replies

• To debug the Script Task, open the task UI and click through to the script itself. (This is the VSA designer.) Now just add a breakpoint on a line of code. Close down VSA and the task UI. Run the package. When the breakpoint is hit, VSA will open up allowing you to step through the code.

if the break point is not working, 
    1) remove the previous break point and set the new one.
    OR
    2) close the solution and try again

Note: SSIS does not (yet) support breakpoints in a script component.

Thanks-

Let us TRY this | Don’t forget to mark the post(s) that answered your question
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:02 PM
  • There is a way to debug script task in the data flow task ...
    import namespace : Windows.forms
    and u than use MessageBox.Show(value); to see the value that u want to see
    or other wise enclose ur code in try - and then catch the exception..

or do something like this

public override void Input0_ProcessInputRow(Input0Buffer Row)
        {
            bool fireAgain = false;
            this.ComponentMetaData.FireInformation(0, "MyScript", "Put your informational message here - perhaps the value of a variable in the script", "", 0, ref fireAgain);     }

dibmaz
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:13 PM
  • u can debug a script component task  in control flow using breakpoints but not in dataflow..the dataflow one is a script task ... u cannot debug that using breakpoints...

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:14 PM
  • u can debug a script component task  in control flow using breakpoints but not in dataflow..the dataflow one is a script task ... u cannot debug that using breakpoints...

You said just the opposite. Script component is in the DFT and Script task is in Control Flow.
    In data flow if you need to check some value being set or not use MsgBox() in VB to show the value during execution.
    Hope this helps !!
    Sudeep   |    My Blog
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Thanks for pointing that out ...
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Hi ETL Vs. ELTL.

Excellent Man . I am really happy now...All I wanted that I got from your Post.
    Now I am clear on this.

If I understood you clearly. 1st need to set break point. then save it. and execute package globally. then it is going to break mode...
    then after we can do the research...rite.....

WELCOME MAN ....NICE ....It' ll help a lot (ETL )...

Nice Thing.....Thanks a lot.....
    I appreciate this ...answer.. It is highly necessary for SSIS developers point of view..

Thanks....

Thanks,
    Sandeep.
    • Marked as answer by Sandeep Mishra Monday, November 23, 2009 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Voting ETLs post as helpful here.
    Sandeep, please mark the helpful post as answer.
    Nitesh Rai- Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 6:55 PM