none
USER LOGIN PROB

Answers

• Hi subu,

Winerr 53 means "The network path was not found". If you got this message, it means the client stack cannot find the target machine.

Here are possible reasons for this failure,
     a) Typo in the server name, or using "/" rather than "\" between server name and instance name, e.g. "myserver/myinst" is not correct.
     b) Name resolution to the server name is not correct, "ping -a yourserver" would tell if that's the case
     c) The server machine is firewall'ed and file sharing is not in the exception list. You need put "File and Printer Sharing" in exception.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Detailed troubleshooting steps are available at How to Troubleshoot Connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:32 PM

All replies

• You may need to provide more info e.g. is it a named instance, are you try to connect to it locally or remote, what edition are using e.g. express.

The article covers most aspects, if it is a named instance and is local (on the machine you are using) you could try

machinename\instancename

You will need to ensure the browser service is started or you would have to specify the port number e.g. machinename\instancename,portnumber

You can identify if you are using an instance by looking in services.msc and if you see MSSQLSERVER then you're not using a named instance and should just use

machinename

to connect.

If you don't see MSSQLSERVER (e.g. you see SQLEXPRESS) then you use machinename\SQLEXPRESS

Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Hi Team,

Thanks for your replys..

Actually its Remote box one of user is facing proublem and sql server 2008 R2

as per pinal document i found SQL SERVER AGENT and Fulltest search services are not started. i had tried to start but it is giving some error.

any suggestions it really help to slove the user proublem.

Tx

subu

Friday, February 17, 2012 11:11 AM
  • could ou please tell me whether the accounts used to run the sql server agent service and the Fulltest Search service

same as the account used to run the sql server service

Thanks

Addie

Friday, February 17, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Hi Addie,

you are mistaken using this account services are not running.

please follow the starting onwards.

One of the  user not able to connect his box, but i am trying to connect as SA account the same box in the same cridentials i m connecting in my box.

he was trying to connect his box he is getting below ERROR:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

i have google for the same i got answer:

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/05/21/sql-server-fix-error-provider-named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-error/

i had follow pinal dev but no luck. as pinal suggestion i have wored but servicesa re not correct agent and full text services are not starting, it is giving Error.

any suggestion please.

subu

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hi

You don't require the SQL Server Agent or Full-text services to be started to connect to SQL Server.

It will help if you are able to supply the error message you are receiving when you try start the services. This looks like a separate issue to connecting remotely.

You are able to connect locally, so it would appear that it is either:

- a firewall issue (ports used by SQL Server are not enabled through the fire wall)

- 'Allow remote connections to this server' has not been enabled in SQL server

- TCP/IP protocol is disabled or you are using a protocol that is not enabled

- User has not typed the correct name to connect

- remote machine can not see the SQL server (domain,network,workgriup issue etc) (try create a test connection with odbcad32.exe)

- browser service is not started and you're using a named instance

• Proposed as answer by Jayanth Kurup Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:01 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 7:12 PM
  • http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2005/10/22/483684.aspx

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Friday, February 17, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Hi subu,

Winerr 53 means "The network path was not found". If you got this message, it means the client stack cannot find the target machine.

Here are possible reasons for this failure,
     a) Typo in the server name, or using "/" rather than "\" between server name and instance name, e.g. "myserver/myinst" is not correct.
     b) Name resolution to the server name is not correct, "ping -a yourserver" would tell if that's the case
     c) The server machine is firewall'ed and file sharing is not in the exception list. You need put "File and Printer Sharing" in exception.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Detailed troubleshooting steps are available at How to Troubleshoot Connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Hi Sudhir.Nune

You could look at using xp_logininfo http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190369.aspx e.g. xp_logininfo 'username','all'

Please note that xp_logininfo does not report groups in groups.

Also, it would be best to raise a separate new question if this doesn't help, as it will get more visibility in the Forum.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:15 PM