none
Page Numbering in a group incorrect in nested group. SSRS 2008R2

Question

• I've discovered that solving a problem only leads to the creation of a new problem.

My report has several groups, however a parent group (Batch) and achild group (SortBy1) have page breaks set between each instance of that group.

On the child group, I used the expression =iif(Fields!BatchId.Value = Previous(Fields!BatchId.Value), false, true) which solved the problem that was occuring where I would get a blank first page before eveery group.

For some reason, haveing that expression in place has tweaked the parent group page numbering, Batch is set for a page break and reset page number, SortBy1 is set for page break only.

There seems to be no consistency to how this numbering is determined as it can include 1 or many batches in the current output.

How can I get an accurate page number on the parent group when the child group has a conditional page break?
    Thanks!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:00 PM

Answers

• Charlie,

To me it's odd numbering.

In preview the number will show page 1 of  7(within the batch), when it's actually 3 batches. a batch is broken by batchId/batrchNumber..

When it renders, it's showing page 1 of 3 (first 2 batches combined), and after that page 1 of 2 as expected. The next batch shows page 1 of 4 (again multiple batches).

I've found a logical link regarding the batches that would make them break in this manner. When the contract Status is "Accepted" the pgae breaks are wrong, when the status is "Cancelled" the page breaks are correct. What I still don't understand is that they have different batches, yet the page number doesn't reset.

Thanks for looking at this.

Gary

I ended up rebuilding the report, which solved this issue.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Gary,

Can you paste a screenshot of the fully expanded Page break section in the properties page for the two groups?

Thanks,

Vinaya

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:29 PM
  • Vinaya,

I'm having problems posting a picture here.

The Parent Group is as follows:

Page Break:   Between

Disabled:      False

Reset Page Number: True

\The Child Group is:

Page  Break:   End

Disabled: =iif(Fields!BatchId.Value = Previous(Fields!BatchId.Value), false, true)

Reset Page Number:  False

What I'm wondering is whether a conditional page break in the child group has a negative effect on the parent group?

Thanks!

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Hi Garyt,

What's your page number looks like? I have tested it on my local environment. The page break is complex. However, the page number is correct.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:02 AM
  • Charlie,

To me it's odd numbering.

In preview the number will show page 1 of  7(within the batch), when it's actually 3 batches. a batch is broken by batchId/batrchNumber..

When it renders, it's showing page 1 of 3 (first 2 batches combined), and after that page 1 of 2 as expected. The next batch shows page 1 of 4 (again multiple batches).

I've found a logical link regarding the batches that would make them break in this manner. When the contract Status is "Accepted" the pgae breaks are wrong, when the status is "Cancelled" the page breaks are correct. What I still don't understand is that they have different batches, yet the page number doesn't reset.

Thanks for looking at this.

Gary

I ended up rebuilding the report, which solved this issue.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 3:18 PM