none
Error creating package - Failed to save package file "...\temp\tempD4B.tmp" with error 0x80040154 "Class not registered"

Question

• I had just installed SQL 2005 dev on my laptop and got an error message when I tried to create a package using the BI IDE. I received the same error using VS2005 IDE. But the project was created regardless without any packages. When I tried to create a new package in the project, I received the same error again, but with an option to view the error details.

Following is the text of the error details:

TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio
    ------------------------------

Error creating package

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Failed to save package file "C:\Documents and Settings\myoungblood\Local Settings\Temp\tmpD4B.tmp" with error 0x80040154 "Class not registered".

Failed to save package file "C:\Documents and Settings\myoungblood\Local Settings\Temp\tmpD4B.tmp" with error 0x80040154 "Class not registered".

BUTTONS:

OK
    I found a similar post that suggested that they try the following:

regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll
    regsvr32 msxml6.dll

But msxml6.dll could not be found.

I did get a copy of this file from a coworker, and after copying it and registering it, I was able to add a package to the project.

My concern now is what is the likelyhood of this being the only file missing from the installation.

I'm wondering if I should reinstall, or (if it exists) do a repair on the installation.

Thanks.

Marshall
    Friday, May 19, 2006 10:14 PM

Answers

• Seems like MSXML6 setup package did not get installed. If you have 'MSXML 6.0 Parser' in Add or Remove Programs applet, click Change and then Repair. If it does not exist in Add or Remove Programs - rerun the SQL Setup, it should install it.
    Saturday, May 20, 2006 3:24 AM

All replies

• Seems like MSXML6 setup package did not get installed. If you have 'MSXML 6.0 Parser' in Add or Remove Programs applet, click Change and then Repair. If it does not exist in Add or Remove Programs - rerun the SQL Setup, it should install it.
    Saturday, May 20, 2006 3:24 AM
  • Thank heavens for search engines pointing me to this solution.  Seems to have fixed everything up.

Monday, January 07, 2008 3:34 AM
  • Thanks God I saw your post! I spent a long time trying to solve this and with your post I solved it in 1 minnute.

1000 Thanks!

Patricia

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:06 PM
  • Hi,

I've got this issue when trying to save an SSIS package to file or to the SQL Server but the solution above does not resolve this for me  - I still get the error:

Failed to save package file "C:\Users\admin\Documents\New Package.dtsx" with error 0x80040154 "Class not registered"

I'm running Vista 64-bit ultimate, with SQL Server 2005 (I seem to have both 32 and 64 bit versions installed according to programs and features listing)

I have tried the solution listed above, and MSXML3 and MSXML6 register successfully, but MSXML4 fails to register. To add to the complication, Programs and features has only MSXML 4.0 listed in it!

Question 1) Can anyone advise whether my setup looks flawed/corrupt and how to rectify this?

Question 2) As a last resort, I'd like to be able to clean SQL Server from my machine entirely and reinstall one version and retest - but the number of components and entries for SQL Server in programs and features is extensive and rather daunting. Is there a magic 'uninstall everything to do with SQL 2005' button anywhere (on the install cd/in vista somewhere etc)?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Gordopolis

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:47 AM
  • Spent a long time trying to find out what was wrong with my SSIS new package option which was returning the the "Failed to save package file" error.  Finally looked it up on Google and found Michael Entin's post.  I followed his recommendation to repair the MSXML 6.0 Parser, but this did not help.  I finally resorted to removing MSXML 6.0 completely despite the warning that this may impact my SQL Server installation.  What does MSXML 6.0 Parser do?  And more importantly how did this error ever start appearing all of sudden?

Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:49 PM
  •  

MSXML6 is used by more than just SQL Server (I think). So I think the problem arises from a combination of Windows & SQL Server Service packs messing things up - might be wrong about this.

I, too tried the route of removing MSXML6, but this led to all my SQL Server Instances becoming unusable, and I had to go through a painful system restore to get back up and running. If you're not constrained to using 2005, go to 2008 if you can - it's the only reliable way to get a 'clean' install.

The lack of a 'clean up everything/completely remove everything' button for sql server is a problem for me - once you have installed an instance, there is no reliable way to roll back cleanly due to the number of components and dependencies involved

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:20 AM
  • Running a repair on MSXML6 did it for me.  Looks like there might have been some unintended side effect due to a patch...

Friday, November 14, 2008 6:41 PM
  •  Michael Entin - MSFT wrote:
    Seems like MSXML6 setup package did not get installed. If you have 'MSXML 6.0 Parser' in Add or Remove Programs applet, click Change and then Repair. If it does not exist in Add or Remove Programs - rerun the SQL Setup, it should install it.

This worked for me, Thanks a lot!

Friday, November 28, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Thanks...i did the same as u mentioned..its working fine...

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:09 PM
  • Thx myonglb , I could only find msxml3.dll and msxml6.dll on my machine but by registering those itself am able to proceed with my work.

Hope absence of msxml4.dll won't cause any further issues.

• Proposed as answer by Wazid Ali Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Wazid Ali Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:19 PM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Hi,

The best way to solve this error is -------->

just download the MSXML6.0 parser and re-install it .

just use below link to download the MSXML6.0

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9996

and download it for 86 architecture .

Thanks

wazid

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:23 PM