none
SSMA (SQL Server Migration Assistant) cannot connect to SQL Server Express

Question

• I have a SQL Server Express 2008 and a Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise installation on the same machine.  I am trying to run the Sql Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) for Sybase to move stuff over.  The problem I am having is that I can't get the SSMA to connect to my SQL Server Express instance. 

So my first question is: will SSMA work with Express?

If the answer is yes, I need help!

This is what I am typing in for the Connect to SQL Server pop up (assume the machine's name is STARBASE):

Server Name: STARBASE\SQLEXPRESS
    Server Port: 1433
    Database: data1
    Authentication: Sql Server Authentication
    User Name: sa
    Password: $$xyzzy##1

The message I keep getting is:
    "Connection to SQL Server Failed.
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server.  The server was not found or was not accessible.  Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP provider, error: 0-No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it).

I have been able to connect to Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio with the identical credentials above.

Also, I can connect through sqlcmd as follows:

sqlcmd -SSTARBASE\SQLEXPRESS -Usa -P$$xyzzy##1

When I do:
       SELECT @@servername

I get:
       STARBASE\SQLEXPRESS

I checked the SQL Server Configuration Manager and made sure that TCP/IP was enabled and port was set to 1433.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what I could try?
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have a SQL Server Express 2008 and a Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise installation on the same machine.  I am trying to run the Sql Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) for Sybase to move stuff over.  The problem I am having is that I can't get the SSMA to connect to my SQL Server Express instance. 

So my first question is: will SSMA work with Express?

If the answer is yes, I need help!

This is what I am typing in for the Connect to SQL Server pop up (assume the machine's name is STARBASE):

Server Name: STARBASE\SQLEXPRESS
    Server Port: 1433
    Database: data1
    Authentication: Sql Server Authentication
    User Name: sa
    Password: $$xyzzy##1

The message I keep getting is:
    "Connection to SQL Server Failed.
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server.  The server was not found or was not accessible.  Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP provider, error: 0-No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it).

I have been able to connect to Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio with the identical credentials above.

Also, I can connect through sqlcmd as follows:

sqlcmd -SSTARBASE\SQLEXPRESS -Usa -P$$xyzzy##1

When I do:
       SELECT @@servername

I get:
       STARBASE\SQLEXPRESS

I checked the SQL Server Configuration Manager and made sure that TCP/IP was enabled and port was set to 1433.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what I could try?
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:47 PM
  • Scott,

Could you please verify your settings by following these steps: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2005/05/05/415084.aspx

By default Express is setup to NOT ALLOW remote connections. SSMA does indeed work with SQL Express.

Edit: It seems Alberto is correct in that for Sybase Express isn't supported however for Access is - I clicked the wrong link.

-Sean
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Cross post.

Would an Admin be able to merge this post with the one from here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlgetstarted/thread/e0162a8c-15ee-4bc4-b97c-993068fae5ce

Thanks,
    Sean
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Hello,

I read this: “SSMA for Sybase does not support migrating databases to SQL Server 2008 Express Edition". Please visit the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4FC68B67-149F-4237-8869-E70B68947F4F&displaylang=en

SQL Server 2008 Express Edition is not supported.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 2:15 PM